Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help urgent

Strawberrykiss
November 17th, 2004, 06:01 PM
i need fast help i have two 1 month old kittens and they are infested with fleas bad! when i gave them a bath the bath water was full of blood from where the fleas were!!! i need a home remedy for getting rid of fleas or a cheap product i just turned 16 and i tring to find a job so i can take them to the vet!!! plez help!!!!

Lucky Rescue
November 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
One month old kittens are not even old enough to be away from their mother. What are you feeding them?

Your parents won't take them to the vet? They don't mind having a flea infestation in the house? The kittens need to be wormed as well.

A lot of fleas can kill little kittens by literally sucking all their blood out.

Get a flea shampoo that says it's o.k. for tiny kittens and bathe them in it. Make sure you keep them very warm and dry them well.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Are you feeding them the right kind of food for baby kitties that young? KMR? Glop - the right mixture of ingredients!! You cannot give newborn kittens milk. You need to get them to a vet!!

m_apol
November 18th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Make sure you vacuum the heck out of your house and buy a flea spay and spray them on dusty/hidden corners. Also wash everything where ur kitten is staying. That's what I did, and so far I haven't seen a single flea and hope I won't ever see one again.

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Strawberrykiss,

Talk to your parents and see if they will help pay for the vet bill, or ask if you can pay them back later, when you have a job. The kitty should really see a vet, to see, that being he/ she is so young, is getting all the nutrients it needs, and to get rid of this flea problem.

Best of Luck!!! and keep us posted on your kitty.

tyr
November 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Hey strawberrykiss! If you do not mind me asking....how come you have such tiny babies? Do you have the mummy and that is why they are in your personal care at such a young age? Is the mum okay - is she having any flea problems? Sorry for the bunch of questions!!! Just curious.....

I have not ever had to deal with fleas *knock on wood* that I will not have to. I wish I could help! Sounds like you have had some great advice so far!

Good luck and let me know what happens:)

heidiho
November 18th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Troll...........sounds just like a few other posts i have seen here,trying to push peoples buttons..................

ShielaMonique
November 18th, 2004, 12:18 PM
first most vets wont take a cat if it has fleas so deal with that first....if you can get the hartz 2 in 1 kit for flea protection make sure after you give it to her you keep her in one room where the furniture is taken out so no fleas can lay eggs else where when you flea dip her let fur dry befor you put flea collar on...1 month is kind of young to be taken away from her mother it shouldnt be taken away before 8 weeks...was the cat abandoned ...if she doenst eat try giving her baby formula :thumbs up good luck

Writing4Fun
November 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM
OK, I don't know much about kittens that young, but isn't that way too many chemicals to be loading onto a wee kitten? Also, wasn't there a problem with some Hartz products killing cats recently? I don't know about your vet, SheilaMonique, but if I called my vet with this kind of emergency, I'm sure she'd help me out without worrying about the fleas. It is a matter of life or death, after all. :(

krdahmer
November 18th, 2004, 01:00 PM
first most vets wont take a cat if it has fleas so deal with that first....if you can get the hartz 2 in 1 kit for flea protection make sure after you give it to her you keep her in one room where the furniture is taken out so no fleas can lay eggs else where when you flea dip her let fur dry befor you put flea collar on...1 month is kind of young to be taken away from her mother it shouldnt be taken away before 8 weeks...was the cat abandoned ...if she doenst eat try giving her baby formula :thumbs up good luck

Holy yikes!!! That advice is the exact opposite of everything my vet (and an emerg. vet) has ever told me!!
Hartz, although cheap has proven of late to be harmful even deadly for cats...so don't take a chance. Flea collar? On a kitten that young? NO WAY!!!!! Baby formula? Isn't that mostly grain product?
Please Please find someone older to help you with these kittens, the fleas and no doubt the worms they have can be fatal to them, especially with being taken from the mother too soon. There are some things like Revolution that take care of fleas and worms and are safe for kittens that young. If you read the labels on all shampoos and flea treatments, the earliest you are advised to apply them is 12 weeks old (3 months). These little fellas can't wait that long. Revolution is about $13/dose, so it would cost you about $26.00 to treat the two of them now. You would spend at least twice that on over the counter remedies (shampoos and collars) that don't always work!
Call a local vet, they can give you advise and usually you can bring the kittens in just to get weighed (they need a weight to give you Revolution or the like) and vets do not charge for that, only the meds. Also a vet may have a number of someone or an organization who will help you pay for it.
Ask loved ones or neighbours, people at school,teachers...anyone to help you out with the money... don't be affraid to ask for help, when you do you'll be surprised how many people will want to help you help these little kittens! :thumbs up

tyr
November 18th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else here worried?

I know that it was only yesterday that SK wrote for help, but not hearing from her worries me a little. Maybe it is just because I am concerned about the tiny babies....

I am sure she is just busy getting these babies attention after all the advice. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing these feelings.

Strwberry Kiss if you read any of these please let us all know how things went and how they are going:)

CyberKitten
November 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM
SheilaMonique is incorrect. Vets will see kittens that young anytime and they are not likely to give them a flea collar - too many chemicals in such young babies with already compromised immune systems. Plus, baby formula? I DON"T THINK SO!! Kittens handreared need KMR, Glop (there are many recipes online) (best is prob kittenescue.org) and they need help in their elimination and must be kept warm!!!!

Revolution is mcuh too strong for such tiny babies!!