Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Police: Man Beat Dogs Bloody Because He Couldn't Sleep

heidiho
November 17th, 2004, 04:10 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A Broward Sheriff's Office deputy arrested a Fort Lauderdale man Tuesday after neighbors reported seeing him brutally beat two of his dogs.

Neighbors say it's not unusual for Leonard Grobol to abuse his animals.

According to the arrest affidavit, Leonard Grobol, 63, told the arresting deputy that he "beat the (expletive) out of" the dogs with 6-foot long PVC pipe about 1.5 inches in diameter, and that he also kicked a male pit bull in the groin as hard as he could. Grobol beat the dogs to teach them a lesson because they wouldn't be quiet to let him sleep, according to the affidavit.

The deputy reported in the affidavit that the pitbulls were tethered to a very short leash and were bleeding profusely from their faces, heads and bodies. A food bowl was near the animals, but appeared to be beyond the reach of the dogs, according to the affidavit.

A Local 10 News crew noticed large blood smears along the carport walls at the home along 4180 S.W. 23RD St., where the beatings reportedly took place. Neighbors, who said Grobol has about 14 animals, also reported hearing wails and howls from the house.

"Too many dogs and he doesn’t know how to treat them right," said neighbor Garth Lewis.

A Local 10 News crew observed these blood smears in Grobol's carport.

Another woman, who did not want to be identified for fear of retribution, said she covers her ears and cries when she hears the animals wailing.

"I hear terrible howls and screams from the dogs a couple times a day. It sounds like he's abusing one of the small ones," she said through her front door.

Grobol is charged with two counts of animal cruelty. The animals that were allegedly abused were taken to an animal hospital. Grobol's relatives are picking up the other animals.

Deputies arrested Grobol in July 2003 for allegedly chasing a 16-year-old boy with a knife, according to BSO. At the time of that arrest, authorities removed 23 dogs and cats from his custody and charged him with one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Copyright 2004 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Email This Story Print This Story
News Headlines
Search For Band-Aid Bandit Expanded To Central Florida
Police: Car Salesman Offered Discounts For Sex
Two Orlando Housing Officials Admit Stealing More Than $400,000
4 Osceola Schools Use South Beach Diet For Student Lunches

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Gee I wonder why these dogs attack and unfortunatley they never attack the a**holes that do these things to them. I would love to have a go at some of these guys

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 04:20 PM
My God. It's sickening! Somebody should take the PVC pipe to HIM! :mad:

heidiho
November 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I cant believe all the horrible stories i have seen lately....What is wrong with people

coonlover
November 17th, 2004, 04:27 PM
If that was one of my neighbors I would have gathered up some neighbors and went over there when I heard the wailing and howling!!!!!!! :mad:

heidiho
November 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I always think why cant i see something like this happen i would grab any kind of weapon i could and do SOMETHING.................

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I am with you there Heidi the fact that people dont do anything amazes me. I would be on my cell calling the police and be in his face so fast he would wonder what hit him

heidiho
November 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
I would take an ass kickin if i had to,if i saw someone hurting an animal,people i would not,but a dog or cat yeah i would do what i could for the animal///////////

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 05:31 PM
With ya on that people can defend themselves animals cannot and most of the time will not. So I would do it for them in a second

Shaykeija
November 17th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Maybe they should put an international ban on A**holes who harm animals. :mad:

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 05:39 PM
That would certainly end the need for breed bans

heidiho
November 17th, 2004, 05:56 PM
That is how i see it,people can defend themselves,animals do nothing but love on you and people treat them like that........I would do whatever i could to stop something likethat if i saw it happening........

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Poor critters. I think that the guy should be chained up, with food just out of his reach, and kicked in the groin as hard as someone can, just so he can feel what it is like. What an a$$.