Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat's don't much like new dog, any ideas?

petlover5150
November 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
My new dog is getting a hard time from the two cats. They are not afraid of him but enjoy attacking him when he doesn't notice them lurking round corners/ under the bed etc:evil: It is quite funny to watch and they are not hurting him but it would be nice for them to all get on. When I introduced my kitten to the older cat we put butter on him and it worked like a charm, do you think this would work with the dog :confused: ?

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 04:15 PM
LOL
That reminds me of many years back, watching my previous dog get mauled by the cat. He would litterally stand on the dog's back, dig in all his claws, and bite, hiss, howl at the dog. The dog would just stand up and try to play.

Trust me. If your dog has enough, he'll let the cats know. They're not hurting him, you said. IF they were really attacking the dog, it would hurt. Trust me.

I like that butter idea though. Very inventive! :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
November 17th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Wait... you put butter on which one? And why? :confused:

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I suspect if you put butter on one of the cats, the dog will think it's dinner! NOT a good idea in this situation. You have to introduce dogs and cats slowly! (and very carefully) There is likely a page on this web site that outlines how to intro a dog to a cat and vice cersa.

Good luck!

Gazoo
November 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM
As both the beasties are very scent oriented rubbing them with the same towel over and over again helps them get used to each other.

Placing them in crates facing each other for ever longer periods of time helps as well.

Good Luck

petlover5150
November 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
we put butter on the new kitten and the older one was attracted to the butter and so got used to the new kitten - it did work honest!

as i'm writing this the cats are hiding behind some curtains waiting for the dog to walk by so they can pounce on him. you'd think he'd learn not to walk by these curtains cos there is always a cat lurking there but i think my new dog is a bit dumb :crazy:

that towel idea sounds good, will give it a try, thanx

BMDLuver
November 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
The visual image of an animal all buttered up is still stuck in my head, lol. I would say your dog is not dumb but rather intelligent and perhaps he enjoys the attention the cats are giving him.

petlover5150
November 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
you haven't met this dog, trust me he's pretty dumb!! but yeah , maybe he is enjoying the attention i hadn't really thought of it that way.

sedwick
November 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM
That is the wildest thing I've ever heard!
I wouldn't suggest trying it with a dog involved.
I agree with the fact that maybe your dog is enjoying the attention and it certainly sounds like the cats are.
If no ones getting hurt... I don't see a problem.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
My cats hate our 6 month old dog too. The dog chases them they jump up on something and swat him, they are both declawed so he doesn't get scratched. He never hurts them more like he wants to play with them, they are older and can't be bothered. He even tries to hit them back with his paw the same way they do. When I have enough I make him leave them alone. :D