Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to cook liver for training treats??

schnauzerlove
November 17th, 2004, 01:13 PM
The breeder we got our mini schnauzer from uses liver for training incentives. I just went out and bought some beef liver (disgusting looking) and wondered if anyone knew how I should cook it???

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM
You could slice it very thin and dry it slowly in the oven to make liver chips.

TalonsMa
November 17th, 2004, 02:13 PM
That's a great idea! I never even thought of that :) :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
November 17th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Here is a great recipe for liver treats: (I've never made them myself as I can't bear the sight or smell of liver, but people who have made them say they're great and are healthy too!)

Homemade Liver Treats

Put 1 lb. beef liver or cooked chicken liver through a grinder or blender together with three cloves crushed garlic. Add to bowl with 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, an egg, and a little water to bind it all together. Mix well; it should be very thick. Spread about 1/2 inch thick on cookie sheet lined with lightly greased aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn down heat to 200 and continue baking another 20 minutes, or until treats are fairly dry to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Use fingers to crumble into bite-sized pieces, or cut with knife for larger treats. Makes several cups

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 03:10 PM
You know....that almost sounds good enough for people to eat....and I LOVE liver! Terri won't touch it with a 10 foot fork, but I'll eat it!

Copper'sMom
November 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks LuckyRescue :thumbs up ......I gotta try this recipe because my boy LOVES liver treats. Its probably cheaper to make them then to buy them!!

schnauzerlove
November 17th, 2004, 07:53 PM
I finished my liver treats. I just boiled the liver for about 3 minutes and then put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to dry it out. I have frozen 1/2 and the other half I cut into 1/4 inch strips and put in in the fridge. The strips tear off nicely into little chunks for treats!

My 9-year old son saw me cooking the liver and actually bet me the dog wouldn't eat it. Guess who lost that bet ;) !!

The liver (beef liver) is cheap as dirt and nothing fancy required. I used it during our "grooming" session and Jimmy loved it. In between liver treats, he sat placidly and let me brush him (even his face)!! Our breeder (who also has obedience classes) uses it for training.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips :thumbs up

DogMa
November 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I just fry the thinly sliced liver til its cooked. Let it cool and then rinse it under the tap to get all the fried juices off. Dry it with paper towels and cut into tiny little pieces. It is very clean, firm (doesn't fall apart with handling the way the homemade liver treats do) and doggums love it.
I also make and use the homemade liver treats.