Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm preventative-when to start giving?

Lassie's Mommy
November 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I have a 10 week old Collie puppy. My vet said that I don't need to worry about giving her heartworm preventative medicine until she is 6 months but then I read something about giving it earlier than that. I would like to know what you do for heartworm preventative and what kind is the least expensive that does not have Ivermectin in it because Collies tend to be allergic to Ivermectin. Thanks

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Do you live in a cold climate? If so, you shouldn't have to worry about giving your puppy heartworm preventive before spring unless your puppy has already been exposed to mosquitos. Did your vet say why she shouldn't have it before 6 months old?

Interceptor heartworm preventative is considered very safe for collies, but even Heartguard shouldn't cause problems, as the dosage of Ivermectin is very low. Problems and even death can occur when people dose dogs themselves, sometimes using cattle and horse Ivermectin to save money - very high dose.

Lassie's Mommy
November 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I live in a fairly warm climate. We only get snow 3-4 times a year. My vet said that she didn't need heartworm preventative until 6 months because it takes 6 months to get it after bit by a mosquitos so a dog can not get it before they are 6 months old.

doggy lover
November 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Yes collies have problems with Ivermectin, it can kill them. I give my border collie Interceptor and it cost $19.40 Canadian for a dog 5 to 11 kg. He only takes it for 6 months out of the year normally from June to November but thats our mosquito season. There are other drugs that must not be given to collies go to www.awca.net/drug.htm and it will give you a list.