Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stopping dogs from eating horse poop!!

Diana Lyn
November 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=Black] Both my female Border Collie and Male Australian Shepherd have gained 10 lbs in the last year from( I am assuming) eating horse poop. I am not sure what else it could be since
I feed them 1 cup of Iam's Lam & Rice dry dog food twice a day mixed with some water. That is all the vet said to feed them since they were starting to gain some weight a few years ago.
Both the dogs are fairly active, running around all day in our back yard which is about 1/2 acre.
Unfortunetly, I cannot be around all the time to pick up the horse poop and prevent them from eating it. And we have no fence keeping the dogs from going into the area where our horses are kept.
Thank you for any help you can give me

meimei
November 16th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Dogs love horse poop and hoof shavings. It's one of those undiscussed facts of life.

The only way I know of to stop dogs from eating horse nuggets, is to hide the nuggets.

Karin
November 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Dogs love horse poop and hoof shavings. It's one of those undiscussed facts of life.

The only way I know of to stop dogs from eating horse nuggets, is to hide the nuggets.

I have to agree here, being as how I live in horse country. This is a common complaint.

People offended by horse poop eating dogs may also consider not letting the offender near the hot meal's on hooves easy buffet line.

All that grain will put the weight on!

We have ton's of Equine vet's in the area and they complain of the same problem with their own dogs! What's up with that?

moontamara
November 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM
It's one of those undiscussed facts of life.

Are you always this hilarious?!! That sentence literally made me laugh out loud!

Our dogs loved the hooves and ate a small amount of "nuggets" every now and then too, but no weight gain... in fact, if one of them indulged too much, she would vomit it all up, and let me tell you, that is one FOUL SMELL!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

meimei
November 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM

Are you always this hilarious?!! That sentence literally made me laugh out loud!

Our dogs loved the hooves and ate a small amount of "nuggets" every now and then too, but no weight gain... in fact, if one of them indulged too much, she would vomit it all up, and let me tell you, that is one FOUL SMELL!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I find it funny. People who are not in "the know", get so appalled when they see their dogs eating horsie nuggets. We gave up long ago and let our poochies indulge themselves. So far they are alive, well and kicking... and they've been munching on them for years!

Happy Munching!

melanie
November 16th, 2004, 11:36 PM
when i read the title of this post my only thought was GOOD LUCK. its tasty for the babies thats all, my girl loves any poo, cow, horse, bird poo esp chicken and she loves a bit of cat nuggets if she can get the chance. she used to follow the chickens around all day just waiting for their gifts to her, she loved them and the poo. :D :D (but funnily enough she wont touch dog poo, good thing that too)

and there is nothing i can do about it other than redirect her attention but thats if i catch her, usually you know when she comes in for a kiss and her tounge is green with cow poo, hmmmmm, yum. :D :p :D

Bugsy
November 17th, 2004, 03:19 AM
I am sooo counting my blessings (no horses) at this moment.... :D

BMDLuver
November 17th, 2004, 08:04 AM
One way to possibly reduce the dogs weight would be to lower the level of corn in the feed you are using for the horses. It will reduce the amount of horse poop and help your canine friends to not gain so much weight. Sounds odd but my Collie Husky ate it all the time :p and when we switched to a higher end horse feed, she would still eat the poop but didn't seem to be as chunky. Gosh, this is an odd conversation for so early in the morning. Good luck!

Stewart
November 18th, 2004, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=Karin]

People offended by horse poop eating dogs may also consider not letting the offender near the hot meal's on hooves easy buffet line.

What a line ! :D :D :D You should go into comedy writing :thumbs up My GSD likes the flavour of grass both fresh and recycled by the local cows I usually just try to distract her when in fields where the cow pats are and as for horses doofers (say it fast it sounds like the french for starters) ;) well she gets the same treatment when in fields where they reside as you rightly say karin its a fact of life :)