Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy eats window sill

bluefirefly4
November 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
How can I stop my 5 mo old puppy from eating things that are good for her? She ate the wooden window sill today. I've sprayed things with a no chew spray, nothing seems to work for long. I'm afaird that she will hurt herself or destroy my house. Please any suggestions? :confused:

BMDLuver
November 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I have a now 1 year old lab/dane mix. He went through a week of mass destruction so I started kennelling him when I could not keep an eye on him. I made sure to do it when I was around so he could see me and what I was doing. I started leaving him short periods at a time then extended it as I found he napped when I was away or did at least part of the time as I would quietly come in and find him fast asleep. Now, when I have to leave him, I just open the door and he goes right in. It's become his room in the house. It has saved an awful lot of heartache with damage to everything wood or plastic and it has made him safe as well. Others may have more experience with this and could add to it. Just my suggestion. :)

bluefirefly4
November 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I have two dogs the oldest just turned one and Cricket (the puppy) is 5 mos. Both were crated until they were house broken. I don't crate them now, I only have one crate. If one is crated the other cries and scratches at the door. All they do is play allot. They are usually outside, but it has rained for 3 days. I'm sure that this is part boredom as well as a teething thing. I guess that I could keep them in the garage until I'm home with them. I live in TX so it's never really cold here.

mona_b
November 16th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Also what you need to do is teach your pup to "leave it" when you see pup getting into things.Yes it could definately be boredom.This is where you have to make things fun for pup.I know you have 2 to keep each other company,but sometimes that's not enough for them.Especially for pup.A tired pup is a good pup.Even though it's raining,take pup out and get him/her tired out.I know alot of us on here still take our dogs out in the rain,snow,wind and cold.Crating is also used if you have a destructive pup/dog.Not just housebreaking.

Karin
November 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Plain White Vinegar.

A dogs least favorite friend.

Shaykeija
November 17th, 2004, 12:13 AM
I tried everything. My dog liked hot sauce and pepper. :eek: LOL She didn't like though was Ivory Soap. I used a bar of this stuff on everything she like to chew.(Car, stairs, floor, wall , couch shoes, well pretty well everything)Little :evil: .
She really didn't like the tase. She tried a shoe and spit it right out. All she had to do was sniff the stuff and she would back off it.

Bugsy
November 17th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Note to self: Buy ivory soap and white vinegar.

BMDLuver
November 17th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Lol Bugsy, scratch out that note to self, If that stops him from eating books I will eat a book!