Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Follow up on Cano and his ordeal from yesterday

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I had called the local vet, and I guess they don't do emergancy visits!!! So I spent over an hour finding a vet in our area that does, and was open later than 5 pm. Well I found one that is only 7 miles away!!! So I explained Cano's situation, and the lady said that there was an opening for 6pm tonight!! So I booked it, called James to let him know, and to tell him that the vet check will be $44!! :eek: That's going to leave us with $60 spending for the rest of the month!! But oh well. James is concerned that they might to x-rays, and the cost may be more. But I told him that we will worry about that when it happens, and I would much rather pay the $44 and find out that he's not injured, and not be able to have the parents pay for it, than, not bring him in, and later find out something was wrong with him. Plus with Cano's situation, the center may set up a payment plan with us, or the parents, if he does need further examination. I just hope that he doesn't urinate in the vet's office, if the vet is male. Poor Cano. But hey, he gets to go for a car ride in a while!!

I just figured that I would let you all know. I will post what we found out, when we get back tonight. Everybody keep your fingures crossed, and hope Cano's is in perfect condition!! I really don't want to have to spend hours at the vet tonight if there is further examination needed. But I would stay there a million years, just so they could help him if I needed to.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Good luck on your visit! I'm sure he'll be just fine. I'm thinking they just threatened him, not actually touched him or he'd be sore and whimpering. Keep us posted!

TalonsMa
November 16th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Good luck :)

chico2
November 16th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I hope he's ok,I don't understand why kids would do such a thing :evil:
Hugs and kisses to Cano,even if he is not physically hurt,you might have a lot of work ahead with his stress from being taunted.....poor Cano :sad:

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Well, the vet visit was long. Took an entire hour! And costed more than we expected. $150.40 to be exact. They gave him a routine check up, checked for bruise took a stool sample, and checked his urine for blood as well. All they found is a possible urinary infection, and they put him on pills for that, for the next 10 days. We also bought heartworm medication. The most expnsive things were the stool and urine, $25 a pop! The heart worm med, $45 for a 6 month supply, the ifnection med was only $17, and the check up was $44. We weren't expecting a bill quite that big. But atleast he is fine. The vet said if his submissive urinating persists, to bring him back in. With a bill that high, I hope that he gets over this soon.

With that said, he did pee again after James got home from work, this time, he hid behind me, away from James. But while we were at the vet, he seemed just fine, and didn't pee, even when James would pet him. So I think everything will be just fine. I am so glad that the visit went well.

doggy lover
November 16th, 2004, 08:21 PM
The wonderful world of pet ownership, vet bills my last dog I bought for $50 ( a feel sorry for rescue) and by the time he passed away in January he had cost me over $5000. I would have paid twice that much if the end result would have been better for him.

Schwinn
November 16th, 2004, 09:00 PM
I hope everything will be fine. It sounds like he's getting better, it'll just take time. Give some of the suggestions a try, I'm sure you'll get through this. :)

Bugsy
November 17th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Good luck. Keeping my fingers crossed that Cano is A-OK :)

Keep us posted,

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I'm glad Cano hasn't been injured by those brats. With any luck, the submissive peeing is related to the possible bladder infection. Maybe he just can't hold it when he's overly nervous, at least for the time being.

I'm sure it'll get better. Let Cano see you and James interacting in a calm, fun way. He'll soon see that James is no threat.

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM
The pill we have have to give Cano every day is about the size of tylenol liqui-gel capsul. We tried everything to get him to take it last night. Eventually James had to put it in the back of his mouth, and keep his mouth up, and closed until he swallowed the darn thing. I am going to try to find something that he would eat, in the fridge. Maybe he likes olives, if so, I will just take the red thingy out, and replace it with the pill. I ave until supper to figure it out.

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Oh, forgot to mention, we found out how much Cano weighs. He weighed in at a wopping 65.5!pounds, and he just turned 9 months! He's a big boy! :D

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Glad Cano is okay. Put the pill in peanut butter or I usually put the pills in the middle of a piece of rollover and he just wolfs it down sometines when he catches on it takes 2 tries but this is the most sucessful method for me.

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM
We tried putting it in a beggin' wrap, and he bit the pill in half, and spit out one part of it. We are going to try some kraft single cheese slices tonight. Just a small piece of one may work. We didn't think about that last night.

Heinz57
November 17th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I went through the same thing 20 yrs ago with my rotties, kids throwing rocks and tormenting them. Talking to the parents of the kids I could find, got me cursed at and told to take a hike. :confused: I tried explaining that I didn't want child or dog hurt, but it fell on deaf ears. Thankfully the laws have changed, people opened their eyes somewhat and we have recourse against parents who neglect to supervise children properly and run the streets. I don't know if children raised in petless homes even remotely understand the potential consequences of their actions. Without parents providing guidance they are left to raise themselves :( Take pictures and record the times they are doing this. I really hope it ends for you and Cano. Best wishes!

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Well, since I have reported the ordeal to the MP's, and the officers talked to the children, they have been no where near our house. But it has only been a few days. I bet in no time, they will be back. But this time, I am going to report them right away, instead of giving them a warning. I think 2 warnings are good enough, especially when one of them were from ploice officers themselves. And after I report them, I am just going to sit and watch, take pictures of what they are doing, and if Cano is out, I wil probably bring him in, especially if he seems to be in any danger.

As far as his behavior today, he seems a bit on the down side. Hasn't really came out of him room. But I think it is just because of the long vet visit yesterday. The drive was 26 miles round trip, and the office visit was over an hour. We were gone for about 2 hours total, which shifted his feeding time and bedtime by 1 1/2 hours. So yesterday was very exhausing, for eveyone here. It also could be the medication he is on for the possible bladder infection. Once I have the house cleaned, I am going to see if he wants to go outside with me, and play a bit. I don't like seeing him so quiet like he is. It makes me sad. Poor Cano. I hope he feels better tomorrow. If not, he will Friday when he finds out where he gets to spend the day at. :D

TalonsMa
November 17th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I'm glad the vet visit went well, and I hope he is back to normal soon :) Poor guy, I feel so bad for him. I hope somehting is done with those kids!

We use a peice of cheese for our animals if they need to take a pill :) Works like a charm!

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I am so glad to hear that the vet visit went well - even if it was expensive for you! Your peace of mind is important - knowing he is OK! Have you considered vet insurance?

I give pills just by popping them into the cat's mouth but that is so much easier than a dog. I have done it with dogs too tho. However, some animals regardless of species are not thrilled with the notion of taking a pill. They'll eat insects, dust, and bunnies will eat their "buttons" but give them a pill and all hell breaks out!!

Anyhow, glad to hear Cano is doing better!

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Actually, "vet insurance" is something I never really heard of. Is there a place where I could get more information?

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
There is actually a link on this site:

http://www.vetinsurance.com/

It is becoming more and more common for humans to purchase vet insurance.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I just checked out a quote for Yin Yin (It based on type of pet, gender, where you live) and the first fee is 3$23.45 and $19.50/mo after. Not bad imho And she is covered for up to $12,000

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
James and I have decided to get pet insurance. We are going to get it for him either next month or the following month. Our friends pay $10 a month for theirs, but I am not sure how much they are covered up to. We will probably do that one, until we have the money to upgrade to a better one. I am so glad you had mentioned vet insurance.

glasslass
November 18th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I didn't see what happened to Cano, but think I get the gist! Sorry he had a rough time of it! A suggestion for giving the pills is to hide it in cheese or something he likes. Have another piece handy. Offer the piece with the pill first. As soon as he takes it, offer the second piece. He'll swallow the first piece quickly and in one gulp just to get the second piece. Works every time with my greedy little Den-Den ! :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I did use cheese last night. I put the pill in the middle of the slice, and made it into a ball. The cheese and the pill were gone in 3 seconds! But he did have gas after that. But atleast his pill got done easily, and I didn't have to wait for James to get home, so he could pry his mouth open to get the pill in the back of his mouth. LOL.

Ling
November 18th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Hey Lilith - I just signed Ling up with this company :

http://quickcarepetinsurance.com/

There were a couple of others that I compared with, but they are strictly Cdn and it looks like you are in the US. Just thought you might want something to compare with...

mastifflover
November 18th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Lilith just be very careful and read the whole plan some insurance doesnt cover everything and there are things that are exempt. But it is great stuff one major vet visit can cost your yearly premium. Just ask a lot of questions.

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Ling, that was the company we were looking at. My friend uses that one, and she says that she loves it. James and I still have atleast a month to search, but I think that this in the one we might do, just incase something would ever happen to him again. I mean, even if we did the $10 a month one, it still covers alot that could happen to him. Eventually I will be putting him on a better quickcare program, when the funding is permittable. The $10 gives more protection than no pet insurance at all. Funny thing, I told James last night that we should get him on insurance, and he said that he was thinking about it all day at work yesterday! We have a feeling that Cano may be an expensive dog. Especially after we found out that labs are notorious for swallowing things! LOL. And Cano, is quiet the dog to pick up things that he isn't supposed to!

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Mastifflover,

Do you know of a good pet insurance company?
For $9.95 a month, this is what Cano would get:

Coverage and Coverage Amount

Foreign Body Ingestion
An ingested foreign body
needs to be surgically removed. $ 2,000

Motor Vehicle Accident
Medical treatment for injuries
resulting from any form of motor
vehicle accident. $ 2,000

Bone Fractures
Fractures not caused by a
motor vehicle accident. $ 2,000

Poison Ingestion $ 1,500

Lacerations
Medical treatment for an
accidental laceration such as
cut pads or dog/cat bites
and abscesses. $ 500

Burns $ 500

Allergic Reaction to Insect Bites/Stings $ 500

Accidental Death
If your pet should die from injuries
as a result of an untreated accident,
its original purchase price will be
reimbursed, up to policy limit. $ 500
(no deductible)

CyberKitten
November 18th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I think it's probably best to get pet insurance when the animal is young since in most plans, "pre-existing condidions" are not covered. Vaccinations tend not to be covered either but that is more of a health prevention measure. (and are really inexpensive anyway). The vast majority of young animals have few pre-exiting conditions unless it is something congenital and if it has not been diagnosed whrn the pet is a baby, it can hardly be termed pre-existing. <g>

lilith_rizel
November 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Well, Cano is only 9 months, so he is still just a puppy. And we want to make sure he is protected incase of any accidents. James and I are already aware that we won't be able to find a insurance company that will take care of his routine checkups and shots, but that only happens once or twice a year, and the most his shots costs here is $17, and he's only required to have three different ones yearly, by state law. so if we do everything ot once, his yearly vet visit will cost only about $100 or so. And that we can handle, it is emergancy visists that we are worried about. We can't afford to put out $150 or more everytime something would happen to him. Luckily, that his last visit will be the first and the last emergancy visit he has without insurance!!!

doggy lover
November 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
before getting insurance check with your vet which ones they accept, and any check with any emergency clinics in your area. some arn't as popular and accepeted by vets. Some you have to pay first and waite for your money to be reinbursed.

lilith_rizel
November 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I know the post vet, accepts the one we are looking at. My friends has her dogs on it, and she hasn't had a problem with it yet.