Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

shy behaviour

lisa_and_KC
November 16th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Wondering if I can get some tips on what to do about my dogs very shy behaviour. She seems to be extreamly shy towards strangers, especially men. Her behaviour is very much like as if she had gotten abused in the past, although I know she hasn't because I've had her since she was a pup. She is now 2.5 years old and still has this shyness to her.

Any tips anyone?

Thanks a million,

Lisa and the KC dawg!

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 02:01 PM
What breed is your dog? How old was she when you got her? Did you socialize her a great deal as a puppy? Has she always been this way, or is it getting worse?

lisa_and_KC
November 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM
KC is a mix of Begeal, Boarder Collie and Lab. I got KC when she was about 6 weeks old. She was very socialized and went to pup training (which is actually more like owner training - LOL).

Now, almost 2 years ago KC lived with my ex after we had separated and then I got KC back for good about 6 months later. And this is when I noticed this behaviour becoming worse as well as separation anxiety.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help her?

Thanks so much!

Lisa.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Is it possible that the ex abused the dog?
It sounds to me like she's worried you're going to give her up again.

OR

She really liked it over at your ex's place and is sad to leave.

(I'm just stabbing in the dark here)

I hope you get an explaination and possible solution!

lisa_and_KC
November 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I am positive she wasn't abused by the ex. positive.

And your 'stab in the dark' could be a possability, although KC has great fun with me (always smiling) and is not shy at all with me or close friends and family, just strangers particularly men.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hmmm....well, I guess she's nervous about being given up again if it's only around strange men.
This is a tough call. Are you and the ex on speaking terms? Can you ask him if something funny happened to her? Maybe she got away from him and was tormented by people on the street.

Again, just guessing here. Maybe the ex can supply some answers for you.

lisa_and_KC
November 16th, 2004, 02:42 PM
yep, we are on speaking terms infact she takes KC on day trips occatinoally, very occationally, but it does happen. I'll ask her if anything happened.

Thanks for the advise! :thumbs up

Lisa...

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM
It wouldn't hurt to ask the ex. She may have noticed something out of the ordinary, or someone hanging around her back yard (or neighbourhood if she lives in an apartment), that could have hurt or scared KC.
You could also watch the different people KC is shy around. Is there something in particular they're wearing? A certain mannerism they use that catches KC's eye? Try to notice what KC is scared of, if its not just men that is. If it's not abuse related, it's going to take a while to whittle it down to possible answers.

Compare notes with your ex. Maybe the two of you can figure out what spooked her.

Keep us updated!