Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bumps on chin

AJAV
November 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I've noticed over the last little while that my year old lab mix has bumps on her chin that look like cold sores. There were just a few to start and at one time they even became scabby and red, then they seemed to get better. Now, she has about 7 or 8 of these bumps (clustered) but they are not scabby and I noticed yesterday she has 2 on the side of her mouth. Anyone have any idea what these are and what causes them?

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM
It could be Canine Acne (http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deacne.html) or it could be some sort of allergy. What do you feed? Do you use plastic bowls?

Best thing is to take your dog to the vet for this.

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Qucik question...are plastic bowls bad? I was thinking of getting them because the sound of metal makes me cringe.

AJAV
November 17th, 2004, 12:18 AM
The dog gets fed Pedigree (dry) and yes she does eat from a plastic dish. Why did you ask? Just noticed the bumps a week or two ago. She's always been fed from the same dish.

Lucky Rescue
November 17th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Pedigree is very crummy food. It's loaded with corn and other cheap fillers, and that alone can cause allergies in dogs. The first thing I would do is change her food to something better!

Plastic can also cause acne on the chins of animals who eat out of them.

You should use stainless steel.

Maybe the change in diet and bowls will clear up this problem.

2Cats&AGolden
November 17th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Sounds like canine papillomas to me...a virus that is extremely contagious amongst dogs but generally benign...goes away on it's own within a few months. They are very common on the mouth/chin area of a dog, and often occur before 2 yrs of age. Once a dog gets them, they do not reoccur...kind of like chicken pox in little kids. Do a search on google for some pictures and an idea of the symptoms/treatments. You may want to contact your vet to have the area biopsied, just to be sure. My golden had one wart when she was just shy of her second birthday...it got quite large and yucky looking but disappeared after about 5-6 wks. If you are a dog-park person you may want to keep your dog away from other dogs to prevent transmitting the virus during this time. Hope this helps!

AJAV
November 18th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Thanks everyone, your information is much appreciated!

chico2
November 18th, 2004, 08:07 AM
All three of my cats had Feline acne and I was told never to use plastic-bowls and since I changed no more acne :) Variton creme quickly cured the
existing acne.