Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teething - Oral Gel Ok?

Ling
November 16th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Hi there - I was just wondering if it's ok to give puppies a bit of oral gel to ease their sore gums while they are teething. Not sure of the correct spelling but that stuff that you put on baby's gums when they're teething to numb the pain a bit.
I give her ice cubes, frozen carrots, frozen kongs already. Sometimes she'll leave the carrots or kong - I'm assuming because her gums are too sore. Should I just stick to frozen stuff like that instead?

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Personally, I don't know if its safe to use or not. Call your Vet and they should be able to tell you over the phone, without charge.

I only used LOTS of stuff for her to chew on, frozen wash clothes (with a little garlic/onion powder for flavor), smoked bones, tire toys, ice cubes, kong, stuffed animals for her to chew/slobber on. But, in the long run, she preferred chewing on our hands! :D

Feeling really sorry for her huh? I know exactly what you mean. Call your Vet though. Maybe they can help you with some ideas.

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I have never tried it but I would call your vet just to check on it being safe for dogs.

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Ora gel contains benzocaine and while some use it for doggie teething, it has been linked in recent vet studies to methemoglobinemia - otherwise known as the blue baby syndrome. (Low oxygen levels in the blood)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8214904&dopt=Abstract

That said, I believe there is a special preparation of benzocaine for pets. Ask your vet. But I would refrain from using the oragel sold for humans.

Ling
November 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks - I'll call her vet (although - I don't like him and am looking for a new one now). Actually - just read the reply from CyberKitten and I don't want to chance it...

Frozen stuff it is!

Yeah. It breaks my heart when she isn't feeling so well...

GSD - did you find a way to get your pup from chewing on Terri's ? hands / arms?

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Nope. She still does it and won't stop until she's either put for a time out (she starts again immediately after) or if I'm home and tell her not to.

Other than that...Terri, the giant chew toy....available in local pet stores fall 2005!

Ling
November 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM
That's no good. Well - if it's any comfort to her, tell Terri that she's not alone.

Ling does that to my BF all the time. Her and I will be nicely snuggled in front of the tv, then she decides it's play time and gets up to start barking and bitting / mouthing him to get him to play. Me - she'll pick up her ball and drop it in front of me.
The standing big and ignoring her hasn't worked for him so far, but I tell him - one day...

Is it bad that I'm thankful that she chooses him and I'm not her chew toy? (Anymore :-)

mona_b
November 16th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Just some advice on the chewing/mouthing on the hands.Pup needs to be re-directed.What I mean is when pup starts,grab a toy.Once pup starts to chew on that,praise big time.Even give a treat.Pup will realize it's ok to chew on the toy and not you. :)

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Just some advice on the chewing/mouthing on the hands.Pup needs to be re-directed.What I mean is when pup starts,grab a toy.Once pup starts to chew on that,praise big time.Even give a treat.Pup will realize it's ok to chew on the toy and not you. :)

Been there, done that, don't work. When Diamond wants to play, she wants to play NOW. Trading chewing me for toys worked for me, but Terri is still the preferred chew toy of choice for Diamond. Even when Terri gets mad at her, and you can tell she's mad, there's no end. She doesn't listen worth a bean to Terri. We've learned to accept that. Maybe once she's old (the dog, not Terri) it'll change. Until then, oh well.

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Cano was great while teething, he just chewed his toys a lot.