Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gurgling Sound in Throat

sedwick
November 16th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I have a Great Dane that will be 10 yrs. old in Jan. For the last couple of days he has had a gurgling sound in his throat. Happens anytime, but especially after he drinks. Otherwise... he seems normal. Does anybody know what this is? Should I be alarmed, if it continues I am taking him to the vet.

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 11:53 AM
I don't know what is causing this, but a 10 yr old Dane is ancient, and since this just started I would take him to the vet right away to nip any problem in the bud.
Please let us know what the result is!

sedwick
November 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM
An hour seems like forever when there is something wrong with the one that you love. Thanks for your response.

sedwick
November 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM
My Great Dane has an upper repatory infection.
He was given a shot and perscription of anitbiotics.
The infection is to be checked by vet in one week.
From there, either he will be healed or continue antibiotics.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I'm glad you know what's ailing him. Its a sad thing to not know what hurts our babies.

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks for letting us know. And congrats on having such an old Dane. You must take very good care of him!:)

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Just out of curiosity how long do Great Dane's usually live? Is there a reason for their short lifespan?

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Just out of curiosity how long do Great Dane's usually live? Is there a reason for their short lifespan?

Giantism - found in Great Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, etc - is a genetic mutation that is associated with short lifespans in giant breed dogs and in giant people too!

Usually cardiomyopathy (sp?) is the cause of death in such breeds.

Sadly, the average lifespan of a giant breed dog is only 6 - 10 years.:(

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Thank you for the info LR. I have no experience with large or giant breed dogs so I had no idea. That's really sad though.

Bugsy
November 17th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Yes... I agree. I have 2 giant breeds and this fact has always made me very sad :sad:

I am soooo happy to here your dane is going to be okay :D

Please post a picture if you can. I would love to see the little bugger :p

sedwick
November 17th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Well, I don't know how to download a picture on here...
But you can go to... http://www.dogster.com/?47712
and there is a picture of him posted there.
Great Dane "Ike"

badger
November 17th, 2004, 09:53 AM
What a beauty! He looks very proud to have his picture taken, too.

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Wow he is gorgeous and I bet he is a big lap dog.

Karin
November 17th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I do not want to give false hope in this question about Danes..but,

Two years ago a dear friend of mine lost "Eli", a harleguin Great Dane, he was 14 years old.

I already posted this this past summer I believe about "Big". Big was 11 when he went over the bridge. He was a fawn. His family went through Chemotherapy, radiation and even had his front lower left leg removed, radiated and treated, then reattached (less the joint, fused) at Florida Vet Specialtie Lab .

Big had his own Suburban to sport around in too.

Two very big pup's are the result now. Big's mom and dad froze his sperm before he was neutered. (This is hard and iffy to do with canines,not like bovine & equine)

I know money helps. In many Big ways, Eli lived a normal 14 years romping with the mutt's and horse's..and just good vet care.

There is no hard fast rule about longivity...size & age do matter. It is what you do with it.

An animals life is also gauged differently...a full life for them will alway's be different for us. Unless you are a tortiose .

I find it harder to let go of my animal friends. Maybe because they have overwhelmed my life in a way no human can find the time for, or dare to chance such an investment.