Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OMG..She pees all the time

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I have a 4 month old female beagle. She sleeps and stays in the crate when we are not home (for now). I would love to leave her loose in the house but she can never go without peeing (well..it's happened 3 times where she didn't pee in the last 2-3 months). Now I had to resort in making her crate smaller with a divider. She just has enough room to lie down. Anyway, even by doing so, she pees all over the place and when I get home she is in corner of her crate STANDING UP so she doesn't touch the pee.

I don't giver her water after 8pm and in the morning I don't give her water after she is finished eating.

Any suggestions? HELP!!! *lol*

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
How long are you leaving her alone in her crate?
Have you brought her to a Vet to rule out bladder problems?

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 10:07 AM
I would take her to the vet and have her checked UTI or Bladder infections. See if that is the problem first.

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Well...at night she is in her crate for 7-8 hours..during the day 8 hours...but there are days that I go out for maybe 3-4 hours and she pees her brains out. I always take her out to pee and pooped before I bring her into her crate.

I guess I will have to go see the vet.

schape
November 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I think that 8 hours in crate during the day time is a way too long for young puppy. You shoudln't crate your dog longer than 3-4 hours. Besides, she can't hold pee for 8 hours at 4 months. At that age puppies pee almost every couple of hours; after sleeping, after playing etc.

And I wouldn't suggest withholding water from her!

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 10:37 AM
True, but each dog is different. At 4 months old my Diamond could stay 8 hours in her kennel without accidents. But I knew she didn't have bladder problems. Since she can't go 3 hours without peeing, that would mean there's a bladder problem.
My Vet said a dog of that age "should" be able to hold itself for at least 7-8 hours, unless there's a physical problem.

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM
that's the thing...once every few weeks I am TOTALLY surprised that she didn't make any accidents in her crate. U know when u are all ready to clean up and u don't see no pee in her crate. It feels like xmas for me when I see that clean crate...*lol* I get soo happy..I kiss her...grab her...throw her in the air..*lol* she gets all happy too..

I have friends that all have puppies and none of them are having this problem...

Maybe I should sow her "thingie"...*lol* I AM KIDDING!!! JUST KIDDING!!! :)

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 11:02 AM
The rule of thumb for small dogs usually goes like this: the pup can hold its bladder for only one hour longer than the number of months it is in age. So in this case your dog should be able to hold it ONLY for five hours. After that it's an accident waiting to happen---not to mention an extremely uncomfortable situation for your dog.

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Is you dog paper trained?

She should have her own little play pen area during the day--NOT be kept in a tiny crate. If the pup is paper trained you could set up the play area with her crate open to sleep in, some toys to play with, some treats and a pee pad area for her to relieve herself. Once she is old enough you can being to remove the pee pad from her pen.

If she is not paper trained---now's a good time to start!

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 11:08 AM
To be honest, I don't like the thought her peeing anywhere in the house even on paper. She has learned to go to the door and sit when she has to pee when I am home. She will actually hold herself when I am home if I am taking a shower or napping.

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 11:17 AM
It's a big leap to make with a puppy really. Just like humans, these things happen in stages. Babies don't use the toilet right away---they use a diaper (or else they would pee all over the place).

If your friends never paper trained and did it this way successfully maybe they have some advice that will make it work for you too? There's no one better to learn from then someone who had it work!

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
This 4 month old puppy is crated sometimes for 15 hours out of 24? That is way too much.

She is just a baby, and you really need someone to come take her out during the day. A puppy trying to "hold it" for that long can get bladder and urinary tract problems. You are also forcing her to pee where she sleeps, which could develop into yet another problem - one you really won't like.

Totally agree with lil_kirk:
She should have her own little play pen area during the day--NOT be kept in a tiny crate. If the pup is paper trained you could set up the play area with her crate open to sleep in, some toys to play with, some treats and a pee pad area for her to relieve herself. Once she is old enough you can being to remove the pee pad from her pen.

You may not want her going on paper, but you brought a tiny puppy home so must do what is fair to her, whether you like it or not. Little puppies have small bladders and they need to go often.

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I agree with Lucky, 15 hours is way too long for that poor little dog. Of course, I am used to my pets sleeping in bed but I do realize some do not like that. When I lab site (my nephew chocolate lab :) , even he jumps in my bed but he is so big and gets warm and will alternate between the rug near the bed and the bed. (At his own home, both he and the little lassa apsa sleep together - brother's fiance's dog - ) They have doggie beds around the house though.

Cross your fingers that Yin Yin and the leb and the lassa like one another, lol They will meet around Christmas.

Seriously, I'd get your dog a doggie bed if you do not want him in your bed. I had a beagle (he was a special needs rescue my firefighter brother had saved and pushed me to take (Not that he had to do much coaxing). and he slept in bed every night. Because he was older when he arrived, I never had to do the crate training thing and he was very good about waiting until I got home to do his thing. (I took him to work though on some occasions).

Anyway, this is not about me but your beagle. I'd try getting him his own bed - if you don't like sleeping with doggie breath <g> and if that does not work, take him to the vet. There could be medical issues.

Good lcuk!

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Of course I have a doggy bed in the living room in front my couch. She loves her bed!!!! but like I mentioned as much as I would love to leave her loose, I don't want to have to check my whole house for puddles of pee.

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Yes but could she not sleep in her bed at night? With lots of newspaper around. She is just a puppy!! Is there some place where you can put her bed and cordon it off somehow? Puppies are like babies - it comes with the territory. (I have to remind myself of that with my kitten, lol) It would be much better for her mental health and development if she could spent less time in the crate, epsecially at night when you are home.

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Generally speaking it is neither safe nor advisable to let a puppy have free reign of the house until it is much older. This is to protect the puppy as well as your house---a large apartment or living space poses a number of serious risks to a puppy (especially a teething puppy). Even if you solve the peeing issue, you may still want to use a puppy pen or even close off your kitchen for the little guy, otherwise you may have a lot of chewed belongings by the end of the day.

It may not be what you want---but this little guy is only capable of so much right now. He's just a baby.

lil_kirk
November 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I personally don't like the sleeping in the bed thing myself (as a personal preference not for any other 'training' reason)--however I do think that getting a doggy bed to set beside your bed at night would be good. Then your dog would know you are there and feel the safe sounds of you breathing through the night. Remember not long ago he was uprooted from his mommy and his brother's and sisters (that in itself is a very traumatic experience).

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Instead of a crate, why not confine the dog in an enclosed area? That way they don't have free reign of the entire house, but instead a small area. Buy "pee pads" and place them in half the area. It will keep the puppy confined, but still enough for it not to be couped up in a crate all day.

exercise pen (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 9775&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025653&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1100630833121)

If you have a dog, even though you don't like pee on your floors (who does) it will happen, and having the puppy in the crate that long just because you don't like pee on the floor might cause seperation anxiety issues and a depressed dog in the future.

I don't have a dog yet (am looking) and I dread all the messes that will happen (I'm not that good with stuff like that..pee, poop..vomit).

If you want a puppy, you have to expect a mess.

Also, beagles are very needy and hate being alone. You can't leave her in a crate for 8 hours that young. You need to come home and take her out or play with her during the 8 hours, or have someone do it for you.

kimbilly
November 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I have a 2-month-old beagle; I leave him in the sunroom while I am at work. He is alone for 4 hours and then I go home for lunch and play with him for an hour and then he is alone for about 3.5 hours in the afternoon. He has his crate in the room, but also has all his toys etc. I place pee pads in the 2 furthest corners from his crate and the rest of the floor is open. So far, in 2 weeks, he has only peed on the pee pads 3 times. Most days everything is dry when I get home and we go out straight away. He then has a LONG pee. He sleeps happily in his crate at night and wakes up once or twice a night to go out.

I would go with the advice of confining him to a play area; I know Bentley is MUCH happier this way. He loves it so much that in the evening he wanders off to "his" room to play.

I hope your little girl is okay; it may just be that she hates being in her crate so long. All the beagle books I have read have suggested not leaving your beagle in the crate all day if you are out. Rather leave them in a play area.

Are you in Toronto?

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I am in Montreal. Where do I get these pee pads?? I have a crap load of towels that get destroyed..*lol*

kimbilly
November 16th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Walmart and most pet stores sell them.

They are really good as they protect the floor. The interesting thing is Bentley is not interested in ripping them up, when we are home he drags them around his room, but when he is in his room alone, he leaves them alone.

They are meant to be scented to attract the dogs to pee on them. I have heard that it does not work for all dogs, but it sure works for our little Beagle.

Pity you are so far away, otherwise i would have offered to have your girl over with Bentley during the day.

Cameleon3
November 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM
believe it or not, I have never seen those pee pads and I am always looking for new toys for my puppy. I am sure people here already think I am too strict with her but actually we play together A LOT. My gf thinks I am a retard when I am with the dog. We sort of play tag together at home...When we play she growls at me and even shows her teeth but then she likes my hand when I bring it close to her face...

At the end of the night, we both look exhausted...me on my couch and her on her little comfy pillow.

kimbilly
November 16th, 2004, 02:53 PM
It sounds like she is a fun girl. Maybe try the play area thing, it may help the peeing. Seperation anxiety??

You are able to purchase puppy pee pads online, do a search on google and you will get replies. But i have seen them at walmart, so maybe try there first.

chico2
November 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
WoW,I must be really oldfashioned,but keeping a puppy in a cage day and night sounds awful,bordering on cruel.
Of course when I had puppys nobody crated their dogs and boy,did I clean up puddles :crazy:
I think crating is a good idea to save your house,but 15 hours,that is terrible!!