Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cano's own bedroom? Is space big eonough??

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM
We have had Cano's crate in the pantry for a few months now. And I just thought about the idea to turn the pantry into his own "bedroom" The pantry gives him more space than his crate does. You may be able to see where his crate was, by the marks on the floor. But is is big enough. The door will be closed at night, but there isa gap between the floor and the door, where plenty of fresh air can get in. Is this a good idea, or shuld I stick with the crate in the pantry??

Here is a pic of the pantry.

Oh, and of course he will have his comforter and toys in there with him as well.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I think it's a great idea. But, instead of closing the door (he may overheat, or panic), I would use a baby gate, or get a half door.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
That is an idea. I will have to tell James we need to get one, or find something that would work as a gate for the time being.

I have just got his comforter ut of the dryer, and starting to put his room together. When I am finished, I will take another picture, and show you how it looks. Hopefully he likes it, and I can get a pic with him enjoying it to post.

Schwinn
November 16th, 2004, 10:11 AM
I'd be a little concerned about closing the door as well. At least the crate allows him to see out, it won't feel quite as closed in. I'd go with the baby-gate idea.

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I like the idea but do not shut the door especially after his experiences with the brats. I agree a baby gate or a half door. If you shut the door I think even without the kids episode would scare your poor baby and he would think he had done something wrong.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Yes, we are going to use a baby gate. I put him in there right now, and have the door partially open. About 5 inches or so, but he can't get out. He seems to love it. He laying down looking out of the door right now, and he's not whinning. He is totally content, and seems like he might doze off soon. What a cutie. I will have to take a picture of him later today, or sometime tomorrow. When we would have him in his crate, he would whine alot, but he has only whined a bit since he has the entire room to move around, and that now he can atually look into the livingroom instead of just the kitchen. If he stays this way, and doesn't push the 2 1/2 gallon container of water out of the way, it may just work and we may be able to keep the door ajar without needing to use a baby gate or jugs after awhile. Eventually I would like for him to be able to roam the house at night if he wants to, but I think I would still put him in his room while we are gone, and for that, I will be putting up his gate.

We should be getting a gate soon, we will need one anyways, so as soon as I find one that isn't flimsy and will actually do it's job, I am getting it. The only ones I have seen so far, wouldn't hold back a kitten, much less a baby or dog. I will probably just have to order one off the internet, I guess. I will start searching for one this weekend, when I have plenty of time to do my searching. I have seen one that I would like to get. It is a metal gate, that has a swinging door attatched to it, so you don't have to step over it or take the gate off to get to the other side, and it is so sturdy, you would think that it is an actual wall or door!!! I have no idea where to find that one, but that is the one I'd prefer to buy, atleast I know I am getting my money's worth from it. I should ask Carrie (lady I sit for) where she got it. That gate is amazing!!!!

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Another interesting way of making a barrier, is to go to the hardware store. What you'll need are 4 plastic mirror fasteners, like in the picture here...sort of, and a half sheet of plexiglass/hard plastic. I did the same thing and it was enough to keep Diamond out of the living room when I couldn't watch her.

Put two hooks on one side, and two on the other. Then you just slide the plexiglass in behind the hooks, and voila. A plexiglass half door!

It would be way cheaper than buying a baby gate that may get chewed up. Not to mention, you can use the hangers and plexiglass for other household projects when you're done with them. :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Ok here are some pictures of Cano in his room. He sat up immediatly when I was taking the picture with the door half closed. I thought he was sleeping, but I guess he was just resting his eyes, cuz as soon as I got close enough to take the picture he jumped up. So I took the other two pictures as well. I think he loves it in there. He has pushed his comforter to the back of his room, so he can lay on the tile when he wants to, or he can curl up in the blanket. What a dear.

Well here are the new pictures. I still haven't finished the room all the way. I would like to get some more of his toys in there. Right now, he just has the monkey. I have to find where he hid all of his others.

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Oh that looks just perfect! Now fix the door problem and you have a perfect room for him!!! Great thinking! I wish I had a room like that.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Yep, that's about all we need to do now is get a different door for him. It looks nicer, and it is easier to keep clean, not having to pull out a huge cage every week, just to be able to sweep up the floor! The only down fall is that his the container we kept all his food in used to sit on top of his crate, but hey, that can be put into the closet across the ahll from him. But I think I am going to let Cano out now, he has been in his room, getting used to the new appearance long enough, and probably wants to have the run of the house now. He's looking at me with those "mommy, will you play with me" eyes. He has been really playful today. It is crazy. He wouldn't leave me alone while I was writing out checks. He'd sit on the couch next to me, and wouldstart licking my face, so I couldn't see what I was doing! Little poohead. I have no idea if he was doing that because of what happend yesterday, or what, but he sure is being annoying today. :D

TalonsMa
November 16th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Here's a picture of Solara's pen. It's in our basement and she loves it!
She stays in here while we are at work, and we don't have to worry about her harming herself :) As well, any mess she makes is confined to one small area, as you can see :rolleyes:

I love Cano's new room Lilith, and it looks like he does too!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/TalonsMa/Picture2007.jpg

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I wish the pantry was that big! But hey, it's better than what he had. I have taken the jug away from the door, and Cano still hasn't came out. I think he is sleeping. He has been up since 8 this morning. And now he has a vet visit tonight. We will be able to see how he does in the car. His longest ride was only about 2 miles. The vet, we are seeing tonight, is 7 miles away. I am sure he'll do just fine, but I'm gonna sit in the back with him, just incase. He might get too excited, leaving post the first time, and seeing a city a bit bigger than the one we live in.

TalonsMa
November 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I'm sure he'll do great too!! Pretty exicted :)
I hope his vet visit goes well, and maybe the vet can give you some good suggestions about him and James!!

chico2
November 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM
We bought a trellis,not the kind for plants to grow on,but the kind you put to cover ugly stuff under your deck.It's cheap and all you need are a couple of hooks to attach it. One of my cats was spraying and we had to keep them out of the livingroom where there is carpet.I think we paid $10 for a sheet at Home Depot.

Shelly
November 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM
A baby gate is a great idea. The only problem with them is that dogs can jump over them, which my 5 month old Shih Tzu has figured out how to do. :sad:

mona_b
November 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Well when Yukon and Tron where pups,I had the kitchen blocked off.It was a big kitchen.I had a thick piece of wood on hinges with a latch.What it looked like was a half a door.It worked great.There was no way they could knock it down,or jump over it.I don't find baby gates sturdy enough,especially for larger dogs.And by the time they were around 5 months,it came down,