Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with hairless spot on belly

unadorned
November 15th, 2004, 11:29 PM
For about a month or so now there has been a large spot on my cat's belly that seems to be hairless. There is a very small amount of hair growth but it seems to be static. I haven't seen him licking the area more often than usual, nor can I find any sort of wound. He is perfectly happy and does not seem to be in any pain, active and vocal as usual. He is eating and drinking normally.

This spot just seemed to appear one day and the hair has still not grown back. Should I be concerned? Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I contemplated taking him to the vet but it doesn't seem to be anything serious. I'd appreciate any help.

Sneaky2006
November 15th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I would at least call the vet and tell them everything you've just said... let THEM say if it's serious or not, whether he needs to be looked at or not, that way you'll have some peace of mind. :)

chico2
November 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM
My Chico had a hairless belly for quiet a while,but it was from excessive licking,he was stressed by a new furry family-member.
The vet gave me Variton creme and he now has a nice furry belly again.
Also his stresslevel is down,since he established he's the boss :crazy:
But I am sure there could be many reasons for hair-loss,so a vet-visit is probably neccesary.

PetFriendly
November 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I would agree with the others, take him to the vet to make sure his health is ok.

That said, my room-mates cat has the cat version of obessive compulsive disorder (ignore any spelling mistakes... ;) ) And compulsively licks his tummy and one of his legs to the point that all the hair falls out. The vet said there isn't really anything to be done except minimize the stress and distract him (not scold, but distract) when you see him doing it. We're good with the distraction bit, but even something as simple as getting new furniture seems to be a stress for him so we're doing the best we can. All that to say, its probably not lethal and won't have you at the vet's office every two weeks either.

Good luck with this...

crazyhorse
November 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM
May I also suggest to contact the vet. My one kitty had a similar problem, part of it was because of the type of food, the other part was the dry winter air. Mind you this was an elimination process. Our vet wanted to make sure she was other wise healthy befor the elimination process began.

CyberKitten
November 21st, 2004, 10:14 PM
One of my neighbour's kitties (a black shorthair) had small bald patches on her belly and her vet diagnosed it as stress. It seems she was being picked on by the alpha male kitty of the household.

Could it be stress?