Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

They hit our last nerve!!

lilith_rizel
November 15th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Well, as I have said before, our block has very irresopnsible parents, that let their children run loose to destroy the neighborhood. Today I was upastairs, and I heard these hellchildren in my yard, and I go back downstairs to look out the living room window, to find them harassing Cano. I had yelled at them, and told them not to harass him anymore, and tht they had to take their play else where. They left, for five minutes, and where back again. They teased Cano so bad, that Can broke his chain. I saw it with my own eyes. After getting Cano back inside, I immediatly called the MP's (military police) and reported the children's behavior. Four officers came out, and talked to the children, and also talked to me, asking if Cano was unharmed. I said that Cano was fine.
Well...... James came home about 15 minutes after the MP's left, and I told him what happend. James went by Cano and was going to pet him, and Cano peed!! And was afraid to death of him!!! Everytime James would even get near him, he would submissivly pee, and put his tail down!! James and I also noticed that there was a 2x2 board outside, that didn't belong to us. After seeing that, and the peeing, our thoughts are now that the kids beat him. And it makes sense that Cano would be afraid of James, being that 3 out of the 4 children were male.
James called the MP's back, and they said that the best thing to do is get Cano examined by a vet, to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with him, and after that is taken care of, to call them back and give them the results. It may take a week, being that there is only nurses in the Vet office, here, all but once every other week, but if nothing else, we will have to drive to another vet for his examination.
Our question is, how do we get Cano not to pee everytime James gets within 2 feet from him. I know that we cannot punish him any way or form, now that it is submissive peeing. I am afraid that even a firm no will will make it worse. This whole ordeal have my husband and I so upset. Cano has never been frightened by us, and now, he is deathly afraid of James. What can we do???

Schwinn
November 15th, 2004, 06:33 PM
I would say have James just be near Cano and be gentle with him, no sudden movements. Have James have some treats, and let Cano come to him. And when he does, have James pet him or rub him in his favourite spot (Cano's, not James'). If Cano has a toy he likes to play with, get James to try and play gently with him. Daisy's terrified of men, and usually if we have someone who wants to go near her, we give them her rope and let them sit with it until she comes over. For most of the people we've done this with, she's made fast friends. However, her fear isn't as bad as that of Cano's. I think it may also have something to do with whatever happened, just happened. Be patient and understanding. And I hope everything is okay with Cano.

heeler's rock!
November 15th, 2004, 07:30 PM
OMGosh!!!! That's HORRIBLE!! I don't know what I would do to those brats!! Have you talked to their parents?? What Houligans!! Okay, now that I've gotten that out :p .....I really hope Cano is okay and that there is not any permanent damage. I'm so sorry to hear that..... :(

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Cano! Poor baby!! My advice (and I know more about kitties than dogs) is to go slowly. Cano must know James is a good guy and will come around with lots of TLC and loving!! Positive reinforecement (even tho I am not the greatest fan of behaviour mod but it does work with dogs) would help too. Reward him for good things and for spending time with James. I hope someone will do something about those brats!!!

lilith_rizel
November 15th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Well, we have no idea where ther kids live. James did say that next time they are in our yard, we are going to call the police again. The police told us that if they don't stay out of aur yard, and leave Cano alone, to give them a call. James felt like kicking the crap out of the kids, just to show them what it was like, but he wouldn't actually do that, he just had that urge. And if there is any damage, to Cano, we are going to ask the MP's to see if the parents of these children can pay for the vet bill, being that it was their children who caused it. I myself, think that if there is something severe, I would like to sue them. But I don't know if that would be going over board. I mean, I would do the same if he was my own child, which I do think of him as, even though he is of a different species.

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Cano is your baby! Furbaby is now an official word in the latest editon of the Oxford Dictionary!! Just show that to the MP's or some civil litigator! <g> Seriously, they should certainly pay the vet bill!

squarejane
November 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM
:eek: :mad: that's astonishing. and so very sad. i cannot believe that kids (or anyone) would ever do something like that to an animal. how old are these kids? where the heck are their parents? i would make sure their parents pay the bills for cano's vet check-ups and injuries for sure and don't wait to go to the vet as any bruises might fade...

*grumble grumble* that is just awful... and i'm so sorry to hear this.

Bugsy
November 15th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Do you have a fenced yard? If you do put a lock on it. Without a lock they
are trespassing with one they are breaking an entry.

If not... I say hose the buggers. :thumbs up

If these children are this mean at such young age... I cannot begin to
fathom what they will be like as adults :mad:

(((Hug))) for Cano :sad:

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=squarejane]:eek: :mad: that's astonishing. and so very sad. i cannot believe that kids (or anyone) would ever do something like that to an animal. how old are these kids? where the heck are their parents? QUOTE]

The oldest child looks to be about 9, maybe younger, The younges is about 4 or 5. And the two other boys, I am not sure, but are no older that maybe 11. There is a law here that all children under the age of 12 must be supervised, and these kids were not!!! I am so agnry right now. Because of these kids, I have decided not to let Cano be outside, unless I am sitting right by the window watching him 100% of the time. Poor guy, he is going to be so sad when he finds out he can't be outside the entire day, when he loves it so much. :(

No we don't have a fence up yet. I have been thinking about getting one, but from the sounds of it, within the next few months, we are supposed to be getting a newer house.

Another thing James and I thought about doing was getting a security camera system that hookes up to uor compter, so we can always be recording what is going on, on our property, and that way if something like this should arise again, we will have the tape to prove it.

I did find out from a friend of mine, that just a normal vet check where she goes is only $10, so I am bringing Cano there as soon as I make an appointment, and James can bring us there. Plus that way, I can get Cano his worm medication for the next year. I just hope that the v :( et is open convienent hours, and we won't have to try to find a vet open later than 5 pm, and end up having to drive 20 minutes to get there.

Thank you guys for being so caring. I will keep you all posted on what happens within the next few weeks.

Iggette
November 16th, 2004, 06:59 AM
awww poor cano ((((HUGS)))) That is horrible to know that children as young as that are being so visious towards a helpless animal.

If I were you I would go for a walk with James and cano......try to find these kids and hunt down the parents the smaller kids will give up the older ones and have a visit with the parents. If it were my child I would want to know about such scary behavoir and nip it in the bud before it gets worse and yes if there was vet bills I would be splitting the cost of them with the other parents for sure and junoir would be working his butt off to pay me back for it.....these children need guidence from their parents on how to treat an animal and why.....which apparently they dont get :mad:

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 07:33 AM
The whole thing is, the parents here, don't seem to give a s**t about anything. I myself would expect more from people that are supposed to be protecting my country. I thought the town that I grew up in was horrible, seeing 14 year old kids running the streets, and 90% of the eintire community doing pot. But kids never destroyed peoples property, nor did they harass and hurt their pets. They were respectful enough not do do that. The worst things that would happen would be during Homecoming week, where the senior class would go and toilet paper the junior class's houses, to "welcome" them to becoming seniors the following fall.

I am making the vet appointment today. James gave me the go ahead and said to get it for no later than Thursday, if possible. He also siad that I will need to take a Taxi cab, so going farther out to a different vet, wouldn't be possible, unless we want to spend $40 one way, for the cab! It is expensive here, To go to Wal-mart (4 miles away) it is $12, and their service is crappy. It takes an hour, atleast, after you order the taxi, for them to actually show up, when they tell you it is only going to be 20 minutes, then when you call to go back home, half the time they said they went to pick you up, but you were not at the doors waiting, when we were, and they just never came!!

Anyways, enough of my rambling. I have made a plan, so Cano can spend plenty of time outside, and I don't need to stare out the window constantly. I have decided that I an just going to start waking up earlier in the mornings, and letting him be out until lunch hour. The bratty children are all at school, but I think that they come home for lunch. So that way, if I do that, Cano will still be able to be outside for his normal 4 hours, to play and relax. Then after lunch, he can come in, and take his nap, and do whatever he usually does. While I make-up the sleep I lost from getting up early, (I am up about 3 hours earlier than normal, just so he can still have his fun. :D )

DogueLover
November 16th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I agree that you and James should take Cano for a walk and find these kids. Let him have more leash than normal when around the kids, if you have any doubts he`ll be sure to let you know which ones they were.
Maybe if you guys approach them personally with Cano, and if their parents happen to be home and want to know why you are talking with their "little angels" you can tell them personally. I`ve found with most parents when they find out from you exactly what these kids have been up to there are consequences for their actions.
What breed is Cano?

I guess I am lucky because the kids around here wouldn`t dare try that kind of crap with Angel............... mostly because they are all scared to death of her! ;)

I had a Rottweiller who hated men, just ask James to take some time and have a LOT of patience with Cano, once Cano realizes that he will protect him and that he is his friend he`ll come around.

Also, if James takes Cano for a walk to confront these kids, Cano will see that he is protecting him and that will help him to not be afraid of him. All my dogs know my hubby is the "alpha male" in this house and each one has always run to him when they were afraid.

Getting back to the kids being afraid of Angel, if a dog her size came running at me I guess I would be a bit afraid too............ if I didn`t know her that is LOL :p

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Cano is a yellow lab, here's his most recent pic, not very viscious looking at all. That picture is one of my favorites. When he is outside, that is all he does. He just lays there, and watches the squirrels and birds eat, and occasionally he will run around with one of his toys, but 90% of the time he is content just sunbathing or laying in the shade.

What also shocked James and I is that Cano was so upset, that he broke the chain, and it just so happened that yesterday, his chain was attached to his choker collar!! So he was mad enough to choke himself, just to break free and be able to get way from the kids. I wish that I would have called the MP's sooner, but I figured that being I gave the brats a warning and they left, that they wouldn't come back five minutes later.

James and I have now taken Cano's choker off, and put his old collar on. We don't like the old collar that much, being that it is starting to get too small on him, and we don't think with it being on the last hole, that it will stay on vs well. So I guess beginning of next month, we are going to have to get him a new collar. We will get one like the one he has now, but with 2 rows of spikes. Try to make him look a bit tougher, even though I don't think it will work, he's just too much of a baby.

I have also decided not to have Cano outside while I am working on the house. That's what I was doing yesterday when all this happened. And within the 15 minutes of cleaning the bathroom, this terrible thing happend to my little baby. I have always made sure that the windows (a huge bay window, that is about 12 feet across) and the back door remain open, so I can see 99% of the yard. The only part I can't see, is around the corner of the shed, where Cano can reach. That's where all that happened. I have also shortened his chain so I can see his entire body at all times. I really don't think I should have to do that, being that his chain could only reach places in our yard before, but I want to be able to see if the kids are hitting him.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Doguelover,

Angel is a beauty!! I have seen that breed so many times, but I never knew what the breed was, until now. I don't think she looks all that scary, but then again, I have came across many dogs in the 20 years I have existed, so most dogs have no effect on me, except the one rottie, that growls at me when I am outside, his yard is about 50 feet from mine. But I think his bark os worse than his bite. I am more concerend what he would do to Cano if he jumped his fence.

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I am so sorry that Cano was subjected to this abuse. I would suggest that James talk to him in a very calm voice and not try and get close let Cano approach him, he is scared and he will realize that James would never hurts him he will warm up to him again but let him do it on his terms. He is just scared and who can blame him. Time and nuturing will help him the most and no contact with these houligans. That behaviour is totally unacceptable and they need to be held accountable for it by you and James and their parents. If their parents are so stupid that they do not see what is going on with their future serial killers and abusers then I would report them everytime they come close to Cano or your property. Eventually the MP's are going to get pissed off at these parents that cannot and will not control their brats. I am sure these MP'S have a lot more important things to do then babysit for parents who think it is everybody elses job to watch their brats. If their parents refuse to pay the pills then I would go after them in court just to make the point. Good luck and big hugs for Cano

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 09:24 AM
I am just happy that I myself aren't military. I guess soldiers cannot sue people. But being that I am still civilian, I can. I am glad that I didn't join, like I was thinking about a few years ago, otherwise, we wouldn't be able to go to court if we needed to take up an issue.

Schwinn
November 16th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Sorry, I thought of something else. Have James sit on the floor (maybe use treats. My wife finds doughnuts work well for me). I know when I'm at a house where a dog is nervous around me, if I sit on the floor watching TV or something, the dog seems to be a little less nervous, and will sometimes cautiously approach me. Again, be patient, and understanding. I'll be interested to see how he is after a couple of days, though. I have a feeling the worse of it is because it happened so recently. And I feel sorry for James. It must be heart-breaking for him.

Akeeter
November 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Borrow a digi-cam or cam-corder. Don't let them near the dog but take photos of them trespassing. Take photos of them trespassing on other people's property, if you can do it without trespassing yourself. And phone the child welfare authorities & the Police next time they are roaming at will with nobody at home. Phone esp. if you Know there is nobody at home when you call the Police. This ought to get the idiot parent's attention when they get a visit from the cops for child abandonment, & the local child welfare people! (You can phone anonymously.) You might even be doing these kids a favour!

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Good idea certainly give those parents a wake up call.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 09:57 AM
James and I already had the idea of pictures. I have the camera ready and waiting right by my side right now.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 10:06 AM
It is heartbreaking for James. Even though Cano was a gift to me from James, James still considers him "our" dog, and loves him dearly. Which is understandable. I don't think he is just my dog either. We both take care of him. And it hurts me to see James so sad that Cano doesn't trust him right now. James and Cano used to wrestle all the time, now Cano won't even let James near him, without peeing out of fear! I really wish it were the weekend, where James could spend more time with him. He only has a couple hours a day to spend with Cano on weekdays. But Who knows, maybe Cano will do a bit better tonight. I will let you all know hw things go.

Actually, James will be home in about half an hour for lunch, I will keep Cano out and see if he approaches James, and if there is any difference of his behavior, and let you all know about it. I hope he has gtten better. Even if he does, he is still taking a trip to the vet this week, and ASAP, hopefully the vet is there this week, or they have emergancy apointments where they can get a vet there to see him.

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Well, I was unable to see how Cano was with James this afternoon. James had gotten up at 4:45 this morning, for work, and was dead tired during lunch so I had to have Cano in his new room, while James slept during his luch break. But James should be back home in about 3 hours or so. But with him being as tired as he was at lunch, he may just go right to bed. I am actually wondering if he's getting sick or if him having to get up early for a physical fitness test (2 hours long) just wore him out that much. I hope it is just that he's worn out.

But I have to log off now, I am making a vet appointment, in a couple minutes for Cano this week. I will let you all know how it goes.

TalonsMa
November 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Lilith, I am so sorry to hear what's been happeneing with Cano...what is wrong with kids these days!?? And where are there parents? They just let them run lose wherever? I hope Cano is ok, and that he can trust James again. I can imagine how your feeling, I know I would do anything to protect Solara.

Good luck at the vet.

squarejane
November 17th, 2004, 01:00 AM
this is completely off topic but what you said about taxis? that exact scenario used to happen in my old neighborhood... you'd call, they'd say 20 minutes, it would be an hour... then they just wouldn't show up when you were going back home. :mad:

aaaaanyway, hang in there and i'm sure it'll get better. cano and angel are both stunningly gorgeous by the way you two!!! :love:

louie's mum
November 17th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Cano is a yellow lab, here's his most recent pic, not very viscious looking at all. That picture is one of my favorites.

what an absolutely gorgeous dog. i've never understood some children's viciousness toward animals. it certainly worries me (for society) when i hear of this kind of abuse.
all the best in getting pooch back to normal with james. this is just awful.

Donna Marie
November 19th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Geeze...I am so sorry for your family. That must be hell to go through. For the most part, talking to the parents won't do much good anyhow. If the children behave like that, I can't imagine their parents would be much better. Makes me wonder if we have the right species on leashes sometimes!

Good luck with that.

lilith_rizel
November 19th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Well, as I have posted in another thread, Cano is just fine, and he isn't submissively urinating anymore. So I think the was just terrified, and not injured, I am, however happy we took him to the vet. We only had a $150 vet bill, and with that, it has opened our eyes and made us realize it could have been worse and we NEED to put him on pet insurance.

maddoxies
November 19th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I am so glad to hear that Cano is ok. How absolutely horrible for him. Thank goodness he did not choke himself trying to escape these juevenile delinquents.

What about contacting the local school???? They are supposed to be educators, so let them (try) to educate these monsters (before they grow up and go to work for Iams) that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated. From the behaviour displayed by these "children", I would say the parents are next to useless (either to recognize that animals should not be treated this way or that their "angels" could do such a thing). Negative publicity at school will let them know that whatever their parents will tolerate, society will not tolerate this sort of behaviour (or they will learn it in a few years when they inevitably end up a "clients" of the court system).

If Cano ever defended himself and bit one of these "criminal wastes of useful oxygen" you can be sure that the parents would raise holy hell !!!!

Hugs and snuggles to Cano

lilith_rizel
November 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Well, I don't think Cano would ever bite........... but I guess, if he was trying to protect himself or someone else that was being hurt, it is a possiblity. I do have a feeling that he will be protective over Judith. I don't know why I have the feeling, but I do. I just hope that he's not too protective, and lets us near her. My grandmother's dog was like that whenever her grandson was sleeping. The dog wouldn't let her, or the parents near the room until the child woke up!

onecatandonedog
November 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
that is terrible, i can't even imagine how someone could hurt an animal. try giving lots of treats and very slowly and carefully petting the dog.

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry I havent read all the posts (just the top few) but... my GOD1!

those are truly sick parents.... they dont deserve kids, cant even teach and discipline proper... uUUUH! :mad:

I"m so sorry to read about Cano, I hope you work this out. unfortunately, I dont know of any sound advice, but I'll be here for some support :)

*HUGS*