Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does Oscar stink????

oscar's mom
November 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
We are thinking of changing his name to "Stinkball". We have given him more baths than a dog twice his age should have ( I know bad for his skin, but he smells so bad). He's a 12 week old puppy from the shelter. The vet checked him and said everything was fine. Nothing wrong with his ears, but he smells horrible. He is a small terrier mix. Any ideas on A. Why he smells and B. How to make him not smell. Within an hour of a bath he smells like it's been two weeks since he had a bath.

Writing4Fun
November 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at poor Stinkball. :p Are you sure it's not normal doggy smell and you're just not used to it? When you say "he smells like it's been two weeks since he had a bath", do you mean like a dog that hasn't bathed in two weeks, or a person who hasn't bathed in two weeks? You really shouldn't bathe him that often. He'll end up with all sorts of dry skin issues. If the smell really bugs you, I'm sure I've seen products at pet supply stores that could cut down on the doggy odour. :)

oscar's mom
November 15th, 2004, 03:27 PM
I have tried everything at the pet store. And no, this is worse than normal "doggy" smell. I have never experienced a smell this strong from something so little.

Luvmypit
November 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I have this great shampoo the vet gave me. It is not a shampoo persay as it has no soap in it. It allows me to wash my dog more often with out drying out his skin and stripping him of essential coat oils. I will try my best to get the name of it when I get home today. But I do know that one of the main ingredients is Oatmeal. Its really good. I am not sure whats causeing your dog to stink. But I know when my dog goes for walks he stinks after walking through other dogs pee and excrement. check his paws for the source of the smell. usually I would say he has an ear infection but the vet said no as I understand.
See if you can smell where the source is coming from. Otherwise try that shampoo. I love it and Capone is allowed to have more baths which he loves.

BMDLuver
November 15th, 2004, 05:22 PM
What type of dog food are you feeding the poor little guy? We had a few pups come in and they were rather ripe smelling. We learned they were on nutrience puppy and once we did a gradual change they smelled much better. Dunno, but maybe that's it?

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Puppies are stinky and some smell worse than others. Is this the typical "doggy odour" you are smelling?

meimei
November 16th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Poor you, but I have a question.
Are you sure that it is coming from the skin.
Could be from eyes or ears.

We recently got a puppy which stank and found out that the smell was coming from an ear infection. Even when we smelled the ear, we couldn't really tell it was coming from the ear.

The ear was treated and now the smell is entirely gone, and trust me, she stank up the whole house.

Perhaps a trip to the vet is warranted.
MM

oscar's mom
November 17th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Well we have learned the cause of Oscar's smell. He has demodex, which is a form of mites that live in his hair follicles. He probably got this while at the pound. He is undergoing treatment of a Mitaban dip once a week for six weeks and then he should be all better and no longer smelly. Thank goodness.