Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crates???

Princesss04
November 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Okay I went out and got Charming a new cage and it is plenty big enough. The question is that when I out him in it he is so scared he hates it so I though hey maybe I will put Meat Loaf in with him so he will be okay. They were in there for 10 minutes while we were hom (to get them use to the idea) and he does great. So the question I have is, is it okay to crate them in the same crate or no? I have a crate for Meat loaf and tried putting him in it and he is fine and than putting the two crates together and Charming still hates it but if they are together than they are fine. Any thoughts or comments on this.

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Is Meat Loaf a dog too? Personally, I would never leave two animals (dogs or cats) together in a cage when I am not there to watch them.

Hound_Dog
November 15th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I put KimBop, KimChi and Soju in a larger crate. At first I supervised them in their crate. Now they've been crated together when I not home for a couple hours at a time for the last 3 or so months with no problems. I'd really supervise them carefully, however, as I tried this with Cafri and he didn't like being enclosed with the others.

Princesss04
November 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM
It is a large crate we watched them again last night and they actted fine. I am not sure what to do. I do not want them to get hurt but it also helps Chraming and he has so many problems already. SO when we tried putting Meat Loaf in there it helped so much.

Princesss04
November 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM
LR: Meat Loaf is a dog (they are the same age- 8mts)

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Hound Dog,

Kimchi and Soju (the words) are Korean foods and drinks right?? My hubby talks about the stuff, and says when he goes to Korea he wants to try it.

Sorry I got off the topic. back to the crates.

My friend Jennifer has a 3 year old sheltie and a 11 month lab /shepard mix. She kinda had the same problem. What she did, was put the dogs in their own crate, leave the doors open, and put them together, so they could share the two crates. She did this for awhile, then eventually had the doors closed so they could still face each other, but had to stay in their own crate. This might help some, depends on your dogs.

sujean
November 16th, 2004, 09:28 AM
I put KimBop, KimChi and Soju in a larger crate. At first I supervised them in their crate. Now they've been crated together when I not home for a couple hours at a time for the last 3 or so months with no problems. I'd really supervise them carefully, however, as I tried this with Cafri and he didn't like being enclosed with the others.

hehe, kimbop, kimchi and soju-those are great names for dogs!! i'm thinking mondu for my next one... :D

Hound_Dog
November 16th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, my dogs are named after Korean foods. I recommend for everyone to try KimChi...it's essentially spicy fermented cabbage. Soju is an alcoholic beverage that tastes like paint thinner (we call it poor man's vodka). Cafri is a brand of Korean beer and KimBop is kind of like a California Sushi Roll with ham and cheese instead of fish.

Back to the crate issue....I keep three of my dogs crated when I'm not home in the same crate. The other dog has the room to run around in (he also has bladder problems and tends to pee in the crate if left the for more than a hour). Anyways, the three dogs get along fine. They don't spend any time in the crate unless I'm not home (They sleep on the floor by my bed). I also make sure I give them some exercise in the morning before work so that they will sleep when I'm not there. I also have the luxury of living 5 minutes walking distance from work and I can go home twice for about an hour each time.

I think that if your dogs get along well and you don't leave them in there for long periods of time, then it would be ok. I do think that it would be better to try to train the dogs to be by themselves in a crate. The only reason I put them together to begin with is that I didn't know any better...however, everything worked out well.

Again, make sure your dogs get along well. My Dalmation (who doesn't stay in the cage) is still learning his place in the pack and I would never trust him alone with the other dogs.

Princesss04
November 16th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Okay thank you I will work on getting him to do okay in the crate alone. If he is in there by himself than he will poop and pee all over himself but if Meat Loaf is in there than he is fine. So we will see. Thank you all for all your help and concern.