Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Might need some help here folks !

Stewart
November 15th, 2004, 02:12 PM
As I was leaving my workplace at 10pm on Sunday a young GSD male approx 6 or 7 months of age was running around the factory grounds I managed to catch the young guy and took him to the gatehouse where the security guy didnt really give a fig :mad: So I said ring the local police and report this stray dog so this he did and the reply from the local constabulary was to take details and ask could anyone look after the dog ?So me being a real sucker for GSD's said ok I will take him home with me :rolleyes: Now when I get the little fella home and he meets Gypsey my 4yr old female GSD he goes potty and pees everywhere lol!After a quiet night the little chap who is really sweet natured and affectionate is still with us going into the second night now,No ones come forward to report a missing GSD pup and ive also rang around the local vets giving details but none have had any queeries yet today . :( Looks like we are stuck with him another night and now I'm wondering as its near to christmas if hes been chucked out like so many you hear of this time of year :mad: Anyway my concearn is Gypsey my female today shes gone off her food ,Now I have really been trying to ignore puppy and show her the attension but shes really got a downer on :sad: I have taken a couple of quick pics of the poor little fella for you,Any advise on to handle this stand off with my poor Gypsey who thinks shes being pushed out :confused:

jackieb
November 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Stewart if you dont keep her i can ask my mum as they were thinking of getting another shepherd as they had two one past away about 2 years ago and there other is lonely. Let me know what you decided and i can ask my mum if she is intrested

LavenderRott
November 15th, 2004, 02:19 PM
If you are going to keep him, then make sure you give your girl plenty of one-on-one time. She should come around.

LavenderRott
November 15th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Stewart if you dont keep her i can ask my mum as they were thinking of getting another shepherd as they had two one past away about 2 years ago and there other is lonely. Let me know what you decided and i can ask my mum if she is intrested

Stewart is in England. Just wanted to point that out. That is one heck of a drive!

jackieb
November 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM
yes i Know my parents are in england wouldnt think of driving!!

My mum lives in bedfordshire proabably a 3 hour drive

LavenderRott
November 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
yes i Know my parents are in england wouldnt think of driving!!

:o Oops, my bad!

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 02:28 PM
What a beautiful dog! Maybe jackieb's parents could be the perfect solution? :)

jjgeonerd
November 15th, 2004, 02:34 PM
My parents had a 10 year old GSD when they decided to adopt a neighbor's, who was moving, black lab pup. At first the GSD hated the pup and would nip at him whenever he got close. :eek: She also acted extremely jealous of the pup and would have him follow her a long ways from the house, then leave him there (they live on 5 acres)...trying to ditch him I think! :evil: (he always found his way back) :)

My parents just were sure to give the older dog the same amount of attention as the pup. It took a month or so, but eventually the two became great friends and would even sleep almost on top of each other and share toys. The older dog even seemed to help train the pup! I think it just takes time. :thumbs up

jackieb
November 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
perhaps give the dogs some time together and see my mum has another dog also

chico2
November 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Stewart,he's wonderful,you can send him to me :love:
Hopefully you'll find someone to take him,before you get to love him too much,but I suspect it's already too late.He was lucky you found him :thumbs up

GsdDiamond
November 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Oh, he's absolutely gorgeous!!! He looks like a PB shepherd. Take him to the Vet as he might be microchipped. Does he have any tattoos in the ear?

Other than that, if he's not microchipped, no tattoos, wait for posters to appear in your area. If none appear, then I would call on jackieb's mum, unless your girl comes around that is.

melanie
November 15th, 2004, 04:00 PM
in your town or england dont you have local pounds and rescue? isnt there someone or pound that can take this animal for you? or are you jsut trying to find the owners instead?

i find alot of strays esp cattle dogs that come into town. i have no desire to have another dog and my 8yo GSD female is very jealous and would kill herself if we ever got another, even visitors she will tolerate as long as she knows they are going home eventually, dotn get me wrong, we have lots of dog visitors and mums pup comes to stay for extended periods, but she has seen those dogs come and go.

when i find strays i catch them the take them home and tie them to my front fence (in shade) with some food and water, i then contact the local ranger who deals with dogs and he comes and picks it up. i have done this literally 20 times over the years. they have after hours service here so night is not an issue. but i would much rather catch it and take it to the pound and hope its owners care or its chipped than have it run over by a truck.

will you keep it if you cant find owners? just keep in mind that you might meet alot of strays in similar situations that are our breed, not to sound harsh but keep in mind that you cant keep all pups, you have to feed yourself and the lady too so keep it all in perspective and within your budget and time constraints.

let us know how it goes

Stewart
November 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi all :) Just a little update my wife rang the local dog warden earlier and they said if call them when I am at home tomorrow they will call round and scan him for a chip ;) And if no joy ..... well I have a friend who I know very well and he used to have two GSD's until a couple of years back they passed away,He lives close by, I just got off the phone from ringing him and he says he may be able to help if no joy traceing oweners,Now I know this guy well and I would rather he had him if no oweners can be traced .....so there is some light at the end of the tunnel ;) I will hang on to him for another day or two ..... and yes I am smitten by him but I dont think it will be practicle to keep him myself but I will sure make sure he goes to the righ place ;) Off to bed now :thumbs up Goodnight all !

Bearsmom
November 15th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Aw what a beautiful dog!!! My hubby and I are looking for a GSD, it's too bad you don't live in Canada....we'd take him in a second, no, make that half a second!!!!!

squarejane
November 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM
he is so adorable! i hope that someone is missing him dearly and gets him back soon... if not, i'm sure your friend will give him a loving home.

Stewart
November 16th, 2004, 12:04 PM
:) Well folks the local dog warden called earlier this afternoon and scanned the puppy there was no trace of a chip and no tattoo,She told me that if after two weeks no person claims him then he will be ours if we want and she will get papers to say so.I then told her of my friend who I have contaced she said fine same applies to him.Well he came around at 4 and :thumbs up he fell in love with him I've warned him it will be two weeks before he can claim him forever he understands ;) So he has taken him home :) He only lives a short distance from me so yippee I can follow puppys progress I sure hope he gets to keep him and still to date no one has come forward via the police or anything .Heres hopeing for a happy ending :party:

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I certainly hope things work out for you and your friend. If the people who lost the little guy don't put up fliers looking for him, then I say its a good thing he's out of that house! If they don't care to look for him, then they don't deserve him. It's that simple.

Oh...he's going to be such a looker when he's filled out. IF things go good, and your friend gets to keep him, post pictures of him growing up. I just LOVE shepherds!!! :love:

LL1
November 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
What a cutie - if you do end up needing help there is a GSD rescue in England: http://www.vigilgsdrescue.org/home.htm

Stewart
November 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I certainly hope things work out for you and your friend. If the people who lost the little guy don't put up fliers looking for him, then I say its a good thing he's out of that house! If they don't care to look for him, then they don't deserve him. It's that simple.

Oh...he's going to be such a looker when he's filled out. IF things go good, and your friend gets to keep him, post pictures of him growing up. I just LOVE shepherds!!! :love:

Sure will do GsdDiamond ;) My friend said call anytime to see him and I know I would be able to and also as he lives so close I should bump into him out walkies every now and then ;)

jackieb
November 16th, 2004, 12:45 PM
hope it all works out ok good luck :party: