Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy does not like being brushed

KENT
November 15th, 2004, 09:41 AM
I have had her for four weeks and have been trying to brush her every day but she tries to chew on the brush, get away from it, etc. I decided to try brushing her while she was eating and she run away from the brush. She is a rough Collie so she really needs to get used to being brushed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

GsdDiamond
November 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM
My dog didn't like brushing at first, but if you bribe them, it seems to be easier.

Give a taste of a treat after a couple of brushes and then leave it for a little while. It sounds like she's had a traumatic time with being brushed where she was before, so you'll have to win her trust.

Slowly over time, she'll get used to the idea that when you brush her, it's better than her last home. With time, she'll come to love the closeness that comes from brushing. Mine will stradle my lap to have her back brushed.

This is what worked for me. Others here may have better ideas that you may like better. Whatever works for you in the long run is all that matters.

Let us know how it goes!

Ling
November 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I'm with GSD. I've only had my pup for about 3 months, but she hated the brush the first couple of times. Tried to bite it and take it away while I was brushing her. What I've did was hold treats in one hand, brushed with the other and gave her one every 10 seconds the first time, then 20 seconds the 2nd, 30 seconds the third time and so on... seems to be working so far.
Now I bring out the brush let her sniff it for a while, then give her a treat, start brushing, then give her a treat after I'm finished brushing.
Cutting her nails is a whole other story - gotta leave that up to the proffessionals...

maddoxies
November 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
What are you brushing the dog with? I mean what type of brush?

I used a baby's hair brush on my goldens from the time they were 7-8 weeks old. This just got them used to the idea of being brushed. Could be that your little one thinks this is a game and wants to play/chew the brush.

Have you tried one of the grooming mitts? This would seem more like petting to your dog and there would not be a brush to play with.

These tools (baby brush, grooming mitt) will not be useful as the coat grows in, but it will get poochie used to the idea of being brushed/groomed.

Treats can help distract/reward also.

Also, start handling the dogs feets as young as possible. This training/desensitization will help when it comes time to trim toe nails.

Good luck

sedwick
November 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
This is a part of training your dog. It will take time.
I don't reccomend brushing your dog while it's eating. Let it eat in peace.
I don't agree with bribing your pet either, I know this works for a lot of people, but I believe in praise. Teaching your dog to be brushed is just like teaching your dog to heal or sit. It takes patience, repition, correction and praise. Start the training in small 5-10 minute intervals once a day, or even every other day. Any more time then that in the beginning is too long. Reward the dog with praise "Good Dog" when it lets you brush it and corrected it with a firm "No" when it doesn't. Your dog will learn... just be patient.
Hope this was helpful.