Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The FIFTH time I've almost burned my house down!!!

krdahmer
November 15th, 2004, 01:57 AM
OK, why the heck do they not make those darn burner covers outta material that does NOT catch on FIRE!!!! :mad: :confused: I mean it is just as baffling to me as the whole 'why not make the whole plane out of that black box material'. They make pots and pans to withstand the heat of the burners but those burner covers, should you make an error and turn on the wrong one, light up like roman candles!!!!! Of course I guess the better solution would be me not being a dumbass and checking to make sure I have the right one turned on....or like taking all the covers off just to be safe....but nooooo, I always have to be in a ditsy fog only to snap out of it as noxious fumes hit the living room! :eek:
Today was the worst one yet....I set a cover and one of those potholders a-smoulderin.... and the whole house still stinks like, well, burning potholders and whatever that flimsy cover was crafted out of!!! (I'm sure the neighbours got a hoot of me running out in my pj's wearing oven mitts and carrying a pair of tongs with a smoking potholder melted to a burner cover !!!) This was incident number five...and hubby because I never actually get hurt and always catch it before a huge fire breaks out, LAUGHS at me. Today I almost choked to death on the fumes and all I could hear through the smoke and between gags was him giggling!!!!! :mad:
Maybe they should have one of those Public Service Announcements about this terrible danger lurking in the kitchen. And for crap's sakes can someone make a burner cover that resists heat?!?!?!?! :rolleyes:

LMAO... and I wonder why my Mother-in-Law kicks me out of the kitchen at Christmas, or only lets me help with things that only involve plastic bowls and wooden spoons! der ;)

Sneaky2006
November 15th, 2004, 06:46 AM
I am sorry that happened, and I am glad everything's ok. That being said, it is kinda funny! I know exactly what you mean... I have ruined a few sets of burner covers and to this day I have about 3 spare sets because of setting them on fire. My husband has done this more than me though, and also a couch did it too! We were moving a couch out the back door, and we got it too close to the stove and it turned a nob along the way... my tea kettle was on top of the burner cover that went up in flames and apparently you can't heat your water for tea with direct flames because the tea kettle didn't make it either. :(
I am pretty sure the covers are painted metal, well, I think mine are anyway. Paint, how nice and flammable.

chico2
November 15th, 2004, 07:48 AM
I have a solution,get a gas-stove if possible :thumbs up I would never again cook on anything else!!!

Bearsmom
November 15th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Thank you, one and all, for keeping my job secure. ;)

On the other hand, I had set about 4 of those aflamin one day, so now I just don't use the stupid things! Who cares if my stove looks ugly. I am also secretly wishing for a clear-top range for Christmas....

Bearsmom
November 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM
AND, someday, when I'm feeling braver, I'll share the story of how I almost burned down our house...it's pretty funny.

krdahmer
November 15th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Ya painted metal smells about right. I got up this mornin and yick what a stentch...looks like I'll be bundlin up and opening some windows again! And my lungs actually hurt from breathing some of that in while I was doing damage control. Another helpful hint I thought of...keeping painters masks handy so that I don't have to gag on all that smoke next time. (Cause you know there will be... :rolleyes: ) Oh and don't worry I put all the kitties in the far bedroom with a towel under the door and the window open. Of course they were not happy about that, but better than their poor little lungs breathing in that no doubt toxic fume! And it was funny... at first I thought 'man those sausages smell weird'... what a dork! LOL And ya the day after it is a whole lot funnier. ;) :D

Writing4Fun
November 15th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I'm glad everyone is okay. But now that we know it turned out okay, I am laughing very loudly at this one. Take heart, this must have happened to everyone at least once, and I'm no different. I did it twice before I gave up on the darned things. And it's no reflection on your prowess in the kitchen either. My mom is the world's greatest chef, and she burned one of my covers once, too. :D

krdahmer
November 15th, 2004, 06:08 PM
LOL...even mom's can do it huh? I know my love/hate relationship with the stove goes way back.... when we first moved into our new house ( I was 11 I think), my mom had to have one of those fancy new counter top stoves, you know the ones you can't tell are even on. Well one day my cousin (who stayed with us for a bit) was up early getting her breakfast ready, and unbeknownst to me she had turned one of the burners on but had not put the pan on it yet. I leaned over to get something outta the micro, and did a full five, palm down press on the hot burner. About ten minutes later I had a handful of sausage fingers. Man, did that one hurt like hell.

Oh and my first Christmas dinner at the in-laws was hilarious. First mom-in-law had me chopping up some turnip and I sliced my index finger pretty good, so I excused myself, cleaned up and bandaged myself and asked what else I could help with...so she, thinkin this was a simple mistake cause I was nervous and all, let me move on to slicing carrots....and my middle finger! So again I went off to clean and bandage. This time, thinking it would be harmless, she gave me the job of slicing up bread for stuffing, and yep you guessed it, I cut my thumb...this time pretty good, it was quite a bleeder. So yet again I cleaned and bandaged and returned, only to be promptly kicked out of the kitchen and given silver polishing duty at the kiddy table with my soon to be niece. Ever since that Christmas, I always get napkin folding or silver polishing and dish duty...I'm no longer allowed near the knives!
Which really I don't mind at all.

I should really have to wear protective gear and have supervision in the kitchen some days. LOL

Copper'sMom
November 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
I did that once or twice..............I never got those stupid covers again!!

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
I LOVE those burner covers... at least mine are quite pretty, ANNNNNNNND they kept cat hair out of the burners.

BUT - they ARE dangerous.

I remember when the cats used to walk over the stove top ( :rolleyes: ) and rub themselves under the knobs, actually TURNING on the burners!! mind you, it was at an extremely low heat, but STILL!!!!!

and ya, I managed to add a burnt spot to my white and floral burner covers... :o

:evil: