Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Georgian Mall store- Cruel and unusual

Sheriffmom
November 15th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Hi guys,
I was visiting friends in Barrie, and we ended up at the Georgian Mall. We went in to the petstore there (against my friends advice, as they know how I feel!!). I was shocked, disgusted and utterly horrified by the treatment of their animals. Not only did I write to the SPCA Barrie, I have also written the Georgian Mall saying they can count me out from ever spending a penny at their mall until they stop the cruelty. After seeing the conditions, I loudly (over all the little kiddie voices screaming about the puppies) made quite clear what I thought of the conditions (I think cruel, disgusting, heartless were words I used). One of the store clerks said "It's not usually like this, but we stock up on them during the Christmas season" :eek: At least I have the satisfaction that a family who was looking at the puppies walked right out behind me (I hope because of what I said :p maybe???)
I would appreciate if maybe some of you, if you get the time, could email Georgian Mall and make them aware, that until they do something, you will not be a customer.
Also, if any of you are from Barrie, and have the stomache for it, maybe pop in, then contact the local SPCA with your own version of what you saw.
I actually would LOVE to hand out flyers in front of the store.... if I lived closer :sad: Thanks in advance...

**** Discription of animals there, will be grafic****
A guinea pig with no fur. An unconscious dog, little kids were banging on the glass, and the little guy wasn't even flinching, just curled up "asleep". His eyelids didn't even flutter. I had to look very closly to see if he was even breathing!! 4 and 5 puppies crammed into little cages, literally on top of one another. One of the whatever-poo's legs had an open sore.
It was horrific. I will see them in my nightmares for a long time!!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Jeez, that's sad :( Kudos to you for reporting this place!

This is why I'd like to see an end to pet stores being able to sell animals. I have no trouble with those who adopt out well-cared for animals to carefully screened potential new owners, however.

Sheriffmom
November 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I totally agree, I think it's great when stores do the "adoption thing". Our local Petsmart has "adoption clinics every Saturday. Ppl from the local humane society come in and show case some of the dogs (actually a few times it's been teh greyhound rescue). My girlfriend also volunteers there as their "cat adoption lady". The cats get cycled through from the local HS's to be showcased at the store. I think it's a fantastic idea...... Selling pets on the other hand is just :evil: !! And even more evil when the pets are not taken care of, and are treated as merely "merchandice".

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Why don't you write a letter to the editor of the largest newspaper that serves Barrie - or at least send them a copy of the one you send to the SPCA. It is an old axiom in politics that for every letter one legislator recieves, s/he knows there are 100 more who agree with that sentiment but do not have the time/conviction/etc to write it. The same is probably true of this pet store and the mall.

You could also make posters and send them around or post them near the store. They mall may indeed take them down but someone will read them. :)

Writing4Fun
November 15th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I never shop at any of those malls if I can help it. And if I absolutely have to go in, I avoid those pet stores like the plague. :evil: If I had a camera phone, I'd gladly go in to snap a few shots to report them. Somehow I don't think they'll let me go in with my digital camera, though. :rolleyes:

There are 2 papers that serve Barrie and area:
http://www.simcoe.com/sc/barrie/
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/webapp/sitepages/

PS. The title of this thread should be changed, IMO. Cruel? Definitely yes! Unusual? Unfortunately, no. :(

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
You can contact the OSPCA and have them check the place for the conditions and they will make sure they are all vetted and in good health
1-905-898-7668 I wish these stores would stop supporting these mills and byb's. I think that they should stick to something like adopt-a-thons something that benefits the dogs and cats.