Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog pees on the bed

mazie
November 14th, 2004, 09:45 PM
my dog is a 4 year old spayed female boxer/pit bull. she is well trained and housebroken. in the past, she has urinated in my bed to show discontent (once because a cat was in the house, another because a guest was...). lately, she has been urinating in my bed with greater frequency. sometimes, it appears she has done so without realizing. when it happens, i watch her closely for the next few days, and nothing unusual happens. she seems PERFECTLY healthy! but then, 2-3 weeks later, it happens again. the most recent incident, tonight, happened right after i got home from a 4 day trip. she stayed at my house with my boyfriend watching her. as soon as we were all in my bedroom, it happened. is this a territorial thing, or is there something wrong with her? she vomits occasionally, but it's the same kind of thing. she will vomit some bile, and then nothing for 2 weeks or more. again, she acts perfectly normal otherwise... no changes in appetite, energy, or mood. her last vet checkup was about 2 months ago and she was given a perfect bill of health. could the occasional bed-wetting and occasional vomiting be related? she is very petted on me and can get quite jealous. i have always allowed her to sleep IN the bed (sometimes under the covers... i know, i know...) which might have made her neurotic. if she's sick, i'll rush her to the vet, but i can't tell because there is no real pattern.

SO CONFUSED!!!!

Lucky Rescue
November 14th, 2004, 10:10 PM
sometimes, it appears she has done so without realizing.

Is she actually getting on the bed and squatting to pee, or is she lying there and it just runs out?

My pit bull peed on my bed after my niece had slept there with her ferret. I laundered all the bedding and kept the door shut for a few days and she never did it again. She has peed on the floor a couple times after drinking too much water and getting overexcited. She just couldn't hold it.

If your dog is doing this deliberately, I suggest keeping her out of the bedroom to break her of this habit. In fact you might want to stop her sleeping in your bed with you for good.

If she seems to be peeing without being aware of it (not squatting) then she could have a urinary problem or even spay incontinence.

mazie
November 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM
i don't always see her peeing, so i'm not sure. she acts SOOO guilt-ridden afterwards... is that any indication? i never punish her for these incidents. i know that doesn't really help, i just have to change my behavior. i got her a dog bed which she likes okay, but she still jumps on my bed out of habit. she threw up this morning again. i had gotten her a bone (not rawhide) last night and she ate about a quarter of it. that was all i could see in her vomit. so, as i said, it's just so hard to find a pattern. individually, things can be explained. she has urinated out of frustration/jealousy before, so i don't put it past her. but, there have also been incidents where it does not appear that she had motive. i made a vet appointment on wednesday morning, but it's going to start at $60... so expensive if there' s nothing wrong with her!

are the two ever related (vomiting and urination)? are those symptoms of a particular illness?

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM
she acts SOOO guilt-ridden afterwards... is that any indication?

Dogs don't feel guilt, or other useless emotions. That is a human thing. What happens is that she knows she's broken a rule, so is acting submissive to avoid or lessen punishment. You can see lower ranking wolves do this with the alpha after some transgression, and it is instinctive.

she is very petted on me and can get quite jealous.

Am I right in assuming she is quite spoiled? :p Does whatever she wants? It may be that you are giving her too much control of her life, and she may not be temperamentally suited to be the boss. This would make her a bit nervous and insecure, or "neurotic" as you put it. The peeing may be the result of that - I really don't know.

I think the vet visit is a good idea to start with (take a urine sample) and if she checks out fine, I will have some suggestions for you!:)

mazie
November 15th, 2004, 10:20 PM
firstly, thank you for your replies. your insight is useful and interesting!! i can't remember if i mentioned earlier, but i scheduled a vet appt. wednesday morning. they're going to do a urine sample. hopefully everything checks out okay and it's a matter of correcting behavior... for both of us!!

ever since i was a kid, my family always treated and talked to our dogs like they were members, not pets. looks like i've had some bad training too. it has already been difficult for me to kick her off the bed the past two days. i'm so afraid she'll think i'm rejecting her or something. she IS spoiled, but she's such a good friend :love: ...

if there does turn out to be a problem with her health, i could probably still use your suggestions after she gets well. after all, you mentioned that a little more structure could be good for her. i just want what's best. i'll let you know, thanks again!!

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM
What do you mean when you say you're having trouble kicking her off the bed? Do you mean she won't get off?

Just want to add this:
it has already been difficult for me to kick her off the bed the past two days. i'm so afraid she'll think i'm rejecting her or something

If she lived in a pack, it would be perfectly natural for the alpha dog to make her move if he wanted that spot, or object, or food. She will understand this perfectly and will not feel dejected or rejected.

My pit bull is the sweetest dog in the world, and although I love her dearly I know she is a dog and treat her like one. If she is lying in my way, I never step over or around her, but make her move, just as any "leader of the pack" would. She has no problem with this and doesn't take it personally. :p

She has a very submissive nature and would be very distressed if I let her be the boss, since she is not suited to that role.

grubbmcc
February 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I have a 2 year old spayed female pitt bull/terrier mix that we adopted from a shelter. She also pees on the bed with no reliable pattern. She will do it once or twice, then be fine for several weeks. She has no health problems. She also vomits once or twice a month for no apparent reason. I wonder if this is related to being part pitt bull?

We have tried keeping the bedroom locked, but sometimes we forget to close the door. I am just about out of ideas and really sick of washing my blankets.