Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

swollen neck

Donna61
November 14th, 2004, 09:48 PM
My aunt has a pekinese dog, I probably spelled that wrong. She is 10 years old . Quite suddenly she seemed to have touble moving normally and she would cry sometimes. We took her to the vet and when he felt under her neck she cried and the vet said she was swollen on both sides. They ran some bloodwork and gave her antibiotics. A couple days latershe seemed worse and we took her back. He felt under her neck and it was swollen and painful still. He said there were two things off on the bloodwork which could be indicative of inflamation or cancer. He gave her prednisone and told us to bring her back in two days. She did not seem much better and they kept her and gave her iv fluids and antiobiotics and I think b vitamins. She stayed there for a couple days and then when she came home she seemed better. then after a couple days she was worse and when we took her back he mentioned the cancer again as the neck was still swollen. He is going to run more tests, scope her throat and xray the throat area. She doesn't lift her head and is very careful how she moves. Is still eating and drinking. Any ideas and what type of cancer would all of a sudden cause symptons like that. The vet did xray her back and abdominal area the last time also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is my aunts lifeline. Thanks Donna61

Lucky Rescue
November 14th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Do you mean she has swollen lymph nodes? A lymphoma (cancer) can cause that, but so can many other things, like ear infection, dental or oral infections, sinus infections and sometimes they swell for no apparent reason.

Your vet will probably aspirate some fluid from the lymph nodes and have it checked for cancerous cells.

I hope your aunt's little buddy will be okay!

Donna61
November 15th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your reply: The vet just said she was swollen under the neck. She has had all but three teeth removed previously. I know he had talked about removing the rest but then she got sick and he had her on antibiotics. We take her in today. My aunt said that she feels a lump in the middle under her neck now and she cries every once in a while. I'm praying for the best but it worries me. My aunt has lost her only child and a year ago had a lung cancer operation. She deals with depression . We are all afraid of what may happen should this dog have to be put down. Thank you so much for asnwering my post. I guess the vet is mostly going by the blood work but I don't know if that would be the warning of cancer or not. Thanks again Donna61

Donna61
November 18th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your replies about my aunts peke Bridget. She is still at the vets , yersterday they did an aspiration or biopsy on the swelling and lump under her neck. I think they will let her go home today. I guess it will take about a week for the biopsy to come back. It is weird because when she is there and they give her the iv she does improve. would that happen if it was cancer? Any ideas on that or if anyone has had a similar problem I would like to hear from them. I just pray it is not cancer as my aunt has nothing left in her llife that is as importan as Bridget. Donna61