Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spent the afternoon with a Russell... :)

SarahJane
November 14th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hi all!
I'm in the midst of seeking out a furry friend to give a forever home to. I love dogs so much and spend time with them whenever I can. Well my boyfriend feels the same way and decided to surprise me this afternoon - he was out and I was actually just having a nap, when I heard him come home. I heard some other noise too, that of a collar jingling. I thought I was just hearing things, when suddenly a little Jack Russell bolted into my bedroom and leaped up on the bed and started kissing my sleepy face! I was so shocked and delighted! This dog belongs to friends of ours and we borrowed him for the afternoon. We went for a nice long walk and played around the apartment. He was such a funny little guy! SO MUCH ENERGY! I already knew Jack Russells weren't the breed for us because we both work and I think they a bit too neurotic to be left alone for more than an hour or two, but that doesn't stop me from loving them to pieces! I just thought I'd share my fun experience with fellow dog lovers... I know you guys understand! Hee hee. :)

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Very funny but this is one way to get to know a bit more what the breeds are like another great way is to go to a big dog park and watch the breeds that interest you and speak to the owners. Most people love to talk about their furbabies, I know I do. People in general are usually honest about their dogs and will tell you how energetic they are, what they are like with other dogs. I know each dog is different but it will give you a little insight about the breed. I always have people ask me if I have a big place, common misconception giant breeds are generally laid back and quite happy to guard the sofa while you are at work. So I think what you are doing is going to help you make an informed decision. Good luck and we are always here if you have questions about breeds.

SarahJane
November 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
Hey sorry mastifflover I didn't see a reply to this till now. :o)
I am learning so much here and in my breed research... I honestly thought that because I live in an apartment and work, I could only look at getting small dogs. I realize now this is totally not the case! It all depends on the dog... and some small breeds, jack russells are a good example, are generally too hyper to be left alone at home for more than a few hours... and some huge dogs are the laziest of all and are totally content to sleep all afternoon.. ;) No matter what though, I will love my doggie... I love all doggies so much! :)