Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal Glands Full

goldenblaze
November 14th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I have been lucky and my dogs have never had a problem with anal glands. My mother on the other hand has had 2 with this problem and had to have them removed they were filling up often I'd say monthly. My question is this weekend we babysat Frodo a 7 mth old Golden and his glands were full. I know it was bothering him and I read in my Golden For Dummies book and it told me how to express them. When Frodo's Mom came for him we tried it did not work. Tomorrow he will visit the Vet to have them done. Can anyone tell me why this happens, any secrets on stopping it from coming again. Any help or advice would be great, thanks.

Karin
November 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
There is no way to stop the glands from filling again. Most dogs, (and cats too) express the glands when they defacate. Some pets need more help. Sometimes the opening to the glands is smaller than normal or not positioned in the "normal" place. Ciara, my Rotti, has both small openings and a higher location. Every bath day and sometimes in between the evil glove comes out. She hates it but she knows she will feel better so she allows me to express them for her.
Ask your vet to demonstrate for you. Most vets are very willing to show you the how too's...afterall, it's not their favorite job either and not a money maker. Once you get the "feel" for expressing anal glands you will find it is very quick & easy, much to your pets delight I may add.
Tips...Do not open your mouth when expressing anal glands. (You will Thank me for this one!)
Tips...Do it out doors with a hose ready. (If it's cold, do this in the bathtub with a shower spray for rinse.
Tips..If you are weak in the stomach, have your vet do this procedure. Anal gland fluid is the most foul smelling liquid ever put on this planet. Normal anal gland fluid reeks enough to knock the ugly off of Arafat...infected glands are the utmost gross of gross! No air freshener will help!

Also, full anal glands are under pressure...so once express they can shoot across the room...again I say keep your mouth closed!

goldenblaze
November 14th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info ;) I do know about the smell and how it will shot out when expressing. I read about how you can do it from the outside and I tried and I did not work at all. I'm really not good at things like that and hope never to have a dog with this problem of my own. Frodo's Mom was going to try it again at hope tonight and take him to the Dr tomorrow to make sure there is no infection. It's weird though same as many other issues with dogstoday yrs ago you never heard of this problem or many others that dogs get now. I really truly wonder what is causing all of this in pets today.
Again thanks for your advice :)