Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jack Russell Needs To Be Cone Free - Please Help

Murcia
November 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
We have a 7 year old male Jack Russell Terrier named Max. December 2002 we moved cities and moved in with my parents while we were waiting to move into our new home. My dad started taking Max for long walks everyday. Max then started squalling all of a sudden out of the blue, for no apperent reason. When he would squall, he would lift his right paw to his neck and limp. It would stop quickly, but happen often. We then received a referral to a vet in the area. On our first visit they thought that it may be a disk problem in his neck. We had some X-rays done, which didn't show anything and then the vet recommended an MRI. The squalling had stopped so at that time we decided not to have the MRI done. But then October 2003 we were back at the vet again because he was obsessively licking the top of his right paw till it would bleed (the size of a quarter), dry up, scab, and then the licking started again. They then thought that maybe it was a food allergy. We haven't changed his brand of food (he is now on Senior food) or treats. So that wasn't it. Maybe it was separation anxiety (which is hard to test for). We do work 10 hour days and there are no other pets in the household or kids. People suggested getting a companion for Max (i.e. another dog, cat, etc.), but he can be quite aggressive around other dogs, cats, squirrels in the backyard, etc., so we didn't think that was such a great idea. We have tried several ointments, cortozone shot, antibiotics, scrape for mites, etc. We are now two vets later and the first visit to the second vet, they focused on his teeth and suggested that they be cleaned professionally. This paw problem has been going on for almost 2 years and we are running out of solutions, suggestions, energy, not to mention that it would cost us a lot of money to do further testing, etc., and not forgetting how hard testing, vet visits are on Max. The licking has resulted in Max having to wear a cone around his head while we are not home or while we are sleeping (anytime that we cannot watch him, as he has licked during the night or while we are home and not looking - maybe because we are not spending time with him then). I don't want to give Max up, but I also want him to have a quality of life that would include being cone free and not medicated daily. If anyone has experienced this or can offer some sound advise, I would greatly appreciate it. We just want to be cone free!!!!!!!!!!!

chico2
November 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Please don't even think of giving up on him,I can understand your frustration for him and your pocket-book,it seems everything has been tried.
I have no answers for you,but there are many knowledgable dog-owners in this Forum,so just be patient someone will try to help...
My son has a little JRTa female,I could not imagine her with a cone,she's a bundle of energy..

anniebananie
November 14th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I feel for your pocket book - my JR just had teeth cleaned and three removed (she's 10) and it cost nearly $900.00 cdn :eek: It sounds as if the excessive licking is now a habit - so a cone, just for the time it takes to break the habit, maybe the answer. JR's do get *fixated* on things - thank goodness mine (have two) are only fixated on their toys which get licked to death. The older one does love to lick the cats - but that is better than biting them :party:

Lucky Rescue
November 14th, 2004, 03:44 PM
We do work 10 hour days and there are no other pets in the household or kids.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that JRT's are extremely busy and are a breed who need a job to do. Your dog may have started the licking when he had the injury or pain, and this licking has now become an obsession and a "job" for a high energy hunting dog who is left idle 10 hours a day.

Would doggy daycare or a dog walker be an option? Are there any JRT clubs near you where you could take your dog for agility or tunneling? He needs an outlet for his energy.

The cone he is wearing is no doubt increasing his anxiety and is not really a solution.:( I agree I would never attempt to introduce another pet as company for him.