Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 crates for puppy?

lezzpezz
November 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM
This may seem like a really weird question but, I am about to begin taking care of a 10 wk old Belgian Malinois puppy for the OPP for a few months to teach it social skills, basic commands etc. I have a crate prepared in the main part of my house but we sleep on the second floor and I don't want to haul the crate up and down the stairs twice daily, so the pup has his/her comfy place/sleeping quarters. Would it be insane to have 2 crates, one on each floor, specifically for the pup, or would this cause confusion for the little guy? It would be so much easier to just move the contents of the crate each time we make a trip to the other part of the house. Any thoughts?

doggy lover
November 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
My 6 month border collie has a crate in the basement, that is where he sleeps and when we go out where he spends that time. I wouldn't bother with 2 crates, as hes not going to be crated all the time.

GsdDiamond
November 15th, 2004, 08:42 AM
A 10 week old puppy needs to be crated more often than not, just because you can't trust it's bladder. 10 minutes worth of play make a puppy that age want to pee, and pee often. I don't think it would hurt to have two or more crates for the pup. As long as he/she knows it's a good place to be, then it won't really care which crate it's in. Provide it's toys and a treat or two, and the pup will adjust quite nicely.

If you're paper training, then I wouldn't bother. Just leave paper in the area you've blocked off for puppy and go from there. Of course, a little "den" for puppy to sleep in (since they sleep a lot at that age) wouldn't hurt. It makes them feel more secure.

ancarett
November 15th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Two crates can work -- you've got a good idea in moving the contents so the scent stays familiar, that's what we do when we go to the in-laws.