Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can you tell if a cat's pregnant?

heeler's rock!
November 13th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Hi all. As some of you know, I found a cat a few weeks ago. Her name is Nova and she's adorable. Anyways, she had an upper respiritory infection so we couldn't schedule her spay until she got better. She hasn't been outside once since we got her, and both my males are nutered. Well, she finally got over her infection and now we've noticed she's eating a lot. I noticed her belly has gotten wide too. She is hissing and growling at my males and won't let them near her at all. She even goes out of her way to swipe at them! She was getting along with them fine when they were sick, so this seems strange. Hubby and I think she may be pregnant and she's scheduled to see the vet on monday at 4pm for an exam and a possible x-ray. How far along is too far along for her to get an abortion? We figure if she is pregnant, she's about a month along. She is scheduled for a spay next Friday the 19th.

Lucky Rescue
November 13th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for taking this poor girl in!!:)

You cannot tell if a cat is pregnant until it's nearly ready to give birth and the milk comes in. Only an x-ray could tell you.

We always assume that any female cat we get in is pregnant (if it hasn't just given birth) and have them spayed ASAP.

You can have her spayed/aborted on the 19th. It's sad, but has to be done, considering the huge surplus of kittens everywhere.:( Plus, stray cats are often so physically depleted that giving birth and raising a litter is often too much for them. They just don't have the resources and may not be able to feed a litter.

I wouldn't bother with the x-rays and a month into a pregnancy is only half term, so shouldn't be any problem.

heeler's rock!
November 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Lucky. It does make me very angry that the people that had her, didn't get her spayed!! Now her unborn kittens, who didn't ask for this, have to be killed. I just wish there were another alternative, like me keeping them all! But, unfortunately, that's not an option. Who knows, though, she may not even be pregnant. *Sigh* I just feel really upset about killing innocent babies, but I know that they would probably end up at a shelter or worse.
It is so frustrating too! She came here scared so she hissed at all the pets, then she started getting used to us, and got sick. Now, she's reverted to being cranky, probably because she's pregnant!! Yeesh!! Poor little thing! :(

Thanks for letting me know though that it isn't too late to have them aborted. I'm gonna talk to the vet tomorrow about the procedure.