Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fosters/Members Needed Across Canada

yorkierescue
November 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Hi: My name is Terri Epp and I am with Canadian Yorkshire Terrier and Small Breed Rescue. We are a small group that would like to expand across Canada and we would love to have both new members and fosters in all provinces.

If you are interested and would like more information, please contact me at terrilepp@yahoo.ca

Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
November 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hi. Please feel free to post any of your dogs for adoption on our forums for that purpose.:)

Cflat
November 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I'm curious as to the needs of rescue for small dogs/Yorkies across Canada. You seldom see any available in shelters where I live and I see that we only have one Small Dog Rescue in Ontario (at least listed on Petfinder). I've heard the waiting list is quite long. Can you expand a bit?

LL1
November 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
There's all kinds of small dogs needing rescue - including purebreds. I know of rescues for small ones and there are also purebred rescues for American Eskimo, Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffon, French Bulldog, Cairn Terrier, Chihuahua, Coton de Tulear, Dachshund, Dandie Dinmont, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, MinPin, Norfolk Terrier, Papillon, Peke, Pom, Pug, Toy Poodle, Silky Terrier, Westie etc. Not as many as with large breed and large mixed breed rescue, but this allows some of them to take in owner surrenders and avoid the stress of shelters. And many take in small breeds from the US shelters as well.

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM
In my experience, small, young purebred dogs seldom make it into shelters. Rescues often have waiting lists of pre-approved homes for such dogs, so do not usually need to even advertise them unless they are very old or have behavioral or health problems.

I advise anyone wanting to rescue a young small dog to get on the waiting list of a rescue. This is how my sister-in-law got her adorable purebred Chihuahua.:)

yorkierescue
November 16th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Here in Canada there are small dogs in need of rescue but often the shelters prefer to adopt them out on their own unless they have health issues or are older. Breeders will also take in the dogs they have bred if the owners can no longer keep them.

The numbers are not large but with more members and foster homes we can certainly do far more. We do try and assist with US yorkies, yorkie mixes when we are able to as well.

We currently do not have a waiting list but will be establishing one shortly. We do get a fair number of adoption inquiries.

Thanks.

Terri

maddoxies
November 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hi Terri

If I can be of any help here in Montreal, please let me know. I am involved with Golden Rescue here, but would be available to do home inspections for you. Also I visit my family in the Toronto area frequently and could do transports.

I will pass on your email address to the other rescue groups here, if they take in a yorkie, we could let you know.

yorkierescue
November 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM
That would be wonderful. I will definitely be in touch if we are in need of any home visits or transport needs in Montreal. Yes, please speak to other rescuers and if they require are assistance with a yorkie, silky terrier, maltese or other breeds under 15 lbs. just have them contact me.

Thanks so much.

Terri

esummar
March 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM
We have Brussels griffon, and would love to foster. if you need any help please contact me.

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 01:53 AM
umm... I think you're better off checking out your local rescues. This thread is really old and I doubt the original poster will be back to respond.:o

Foster2Many
April 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
In my experience, small, young purebred dogs seldom make it into shelters. Rescues often have waiting lists of pre-approved homes for such dogs, so do not usually need to even advertise them unless they are very old or have behavioral or health problems.

I advise anyone wanting to rescue a young small dog to get on the waiting list of a rescue. This is how my sister-in-law got her adorable purebred Chihuahua.:)
I have had quite a few pure bred young puppies and dogs come through my home .Some as young as 6 weeks .All these dogs were brought into my local spca . It does happen :)