Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digital Cameras

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I'm sure a lot of you have a digital camera. We have a scanner that sucks! It eats pictures and puts lines on everything... anyway, I want to get a digital camera, but I don't know what to look for that's good.
Is there a certain amount of space I should look for?
I know some (maybe all?) have a delay when you try to snap a photo. We would like one without a delay, if it's possible.... also, do you need to put the pics on disks to have them printed? I always see cvs and walgreens drug stores advertising for .30 for each pic.. do you take a disk there?
My brothers camera kills batteries sooo darn quick, you upload the pics once and they're dead... is there a way around that, or do I assume that the better the camera the longer batteries will last?
As you can see I don't know anything about these things. Please let me know if anyone has one, what you think of it, what you don't like, etc. Thanks!

sujean
November 12th, 2004, 04:37 PM
ooh, i have a good one for you-i researched for 6 months before we finally found one that suited all my needs...

like you, i was concerned with the delay. unfortunately, you can't get one without any delay due to something with the focus or something...

also, i hated the short battery life and was not hot on buying a spare battery for $50-$100!

we finally found the sony cybershot dcs-w1. it runs on rechargable AA baterries. these little batteries last forever and you can also use normal AA's if your regchargables run out.

it is conpact enough for me to put it into my shorts pocket-or hubby's shirt pocket.

it uses a cyber stick for memory. i have a 128 mb stick that runs about $50. it holds about 60 pics at 5 megapixel setting. (it is a 5.1 megapixel camera)

it has all the features that point and shoot needs, including being able to review the picture you just took from the main menu.

the thing i hated about most digital cameras was that i would try to catch one of the cats or dog in action and most times they would run the other direction before the camera got the shot. most times i would end up taking a picture of their butts!

you can even take pics in complete darkness-in case there are some pics you need to take in the dark ;)

here is a site that gives you reviews and such: http://www.dpreview.com/

all in all i'm really happy about it. i looked all the way up to $600 for a new camera but this one ended up being about $250.

hope that helped! let me know if you have any specific questions about the camera. good luck on your search for that perfect camera! :thumbs up

sujean
November 12th, 2004, 04:39 PM
also, do you need to put the pics on disks to have them printed? I always see cvs and walgreens drug stores advertising for .30 for each pic.. do you take a disk there?

oh yeah, you can actually plug this camera directly into your computer to save/view/print the pics.

or your can buy a little card reader for like $30 that you plug into your computer or

you can take your memory card to the drug store and print there!

ok-i'm really done with the posts...

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 04:44 PM
We swear by our Kodak EasyShare camera. 2.0 megapixels, timer, landscape and night features, etc etc. We got it for $179.99 canadian dollars. We also bought the memory card for $28.99 US, which allowed us another 128 pictures. We just bring the memory card into any walmart, and make our prints from that. I love the EasyShare because I'm a spaz when it comes to digital cameras, and I've even figured it out!

GunnerX
November 12th, 2004, 05:03 PM
All you really need when you get a digital camera is one of those all in one memory card readers. That way you don't need your camera and cable with you at all times. The Lexar all in one is small and portable so if you wanted to share pictures to another PC, just bring the reader along and your Memory card. The USB all in one reader will be automatically detected by the Operating system with no need for separate drivers. When you put in the memory card, it is treated as a new drive in the system so you can treat the files like any file in your system.

Another good site to check out is www.steves-digicams.com.

lilith_rizel
November 12th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Our digital is an HP, uses AA batteries. I have to change the batteries every 10 days or so, depending on how much I would use it. We have finally bought rechargable batteries for it, and it is so much better. It is an ok, camera, but I would like to get one a bit better.

Writing4Fun
November 12th, 2004, 07:12 PM
We have a Nikkon CoolPix 995. What a great camera! Kinda pricey, though. Keep an eye on E-bay for deals. Check out www.epinions.com to compare cameras based on manufacturer, memory, price, etc... Agree with GunnerX - get a card reader. Way easier to move pics on & off your computer instead of hooking up the camera each time. It works just like any other drive on your PC - can be used for more than just pics (we used it to back-up my laptop when I needed to format).

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations!
So a card reader you hook up to your computer just like you would hook up the camera itself?
I've used my brothers and it was easy to just plug it in and upload the pics to my machine.

Iggette
November 13th, 2004, 04:19 AM
I have borrowed (for a month now)a FujiFilm Finepix1300 1.3 mega pixel

It is aparently a very old camera the pictures taken are very nice but I would probably go a step better

It has no zoom a real drag for when I went to my daughters commencement I couldn't take very good pics because the room was dark and I was a bit far away so it sucked.

I can apparently change the picture quality to fit more pics on the card but the best quality is the only way to get good pics so the feature is useless.

Definitly invest in rechargeable batteries ....this camera uses 4 AA's and the way I have been taking pics lately I can use them up in a day or 2 you can veiw the pics you just took and delete them if you like but I find that, that is what eats up my batteries.

So dont get one of these babies, they're antique :rolleyes:
But try and get a zoom for sure and red eye capabilities I'm gonna check out those camera sites and get me a real one one day :p

But all in all I love a digital I love the fact that you can take a pic and see it right away

chico2
November 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I too am very interested in a digi-cam,with Christmas coming up,someone might break down and get me one :thumbs up
I was told once before,anything less than 3,1 megapixels is no good...
I bought a really expensive regular camera not too long ago,it takes great close-ups,but I am tired of waiting for my pics for a week or more.
I also wanted to ask,when you get a digi-cam for about $300,I guess you have to add at least another $100 for the add-ons you need? Are they never sold with everything you need in one package?

sujean
November 13th, 2004, 08:57 AM
I also wanted to ask,when you get a digi-cam for about $300,I guess you have to add at least another $100 for the add-ons you need? Are they never sold with everything you need in one package?

sometimes stores do have package specials with cameras. for example, they might upgrade your memroy card for free, or give you a card reader for free.

but they never give you another battery-which is why i looked for rechargeable AA's or normal AA's when looking for my camera-and the battery is where they get you. i can go about a month without charging my 2 AA's. it's great-never do i run for my camera to get an action shot and turn on to say oh crap, i have to charge my batteries...

it's true that really anything less than 4 megapixel isn't that great-but anything more than 4 megapixels is also almost a waste.

CyberKitten
November 13th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I like any of the HP or Sony brands but HP first. Esy to use and they do not eat up batteries! (First one I ever used was HORRIBLE but that was 1995).

onecatandonedog
November 13th, 2004, 06:02 PM
i also have a Nikon CoolPix camera and it is really good. my friend who knows about cameras recommended it very highly and said it is better than some more expensive cameras. it cost about 300 dollars, but the resolution on it is higher than i really need, so you could easily get the cheaper 200 dollar one and it would be perfect.

chico2
November 14th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Thank's guys and girls :thumbs up I can now look around for a camera and not feel like a total dummy.I might as well get my own Christmas-present :D

Sneaky2006
November 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM
That's what I was thinking too Chico... but I think Santa is bringing mine. :D