Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear problem, infection?

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Snooky has been scratching at his right ear for the past two days or so. It's slightly pinker than the other but it is not hot to the touch, it looks a bit darker inside than the other but he won't let me have a good look at either of them!
He already has a vet appointment next week.
But my question is, do cats normally just get ear infections or would there be some underlying problem... like ear mites?? Can cats just get ear mites from nowhere? He hasn't been outside since summer, even then he just rolled on the cement for a few minutes. He did run outside a few (maybe 2) times in the last 2 weeks or so, but he was brought back in within a minute.
Let me know what ya think. :)

moontamara
November 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Hi Sneaky -- I don't have an answer to your question :sorry: but I wanted to say hi anyway and I hope your kitty's problem gets cleared up soon!

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Hi moon!! Thank you! :D I am sure he'll be ok!

GsdDiamond
November 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I remember my cat, when I was growing up, having the same troubles that dogs have with their ears. Cats are such clean animals, compared to dogs, that it's not common to get ear infections, but they do occur.

Is he holding his ear not quite straight? Does he shake his head a lot? If so, then he definately has something wrong in there. Let us know how the vet goes!

hddlstn02
November 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Hi. Your cat probably has ear mites. This isn't a big deal though, it's not anything life threatening (as far as I know). My cats have gotten them before but with a little time they go away & don't return for a significant amount of time.
You can go to Wal-Mart & get ear mite medicine or go to your vet. Also, Coralite started making "Pet Wipes" that come in a round bottle sort of thing (like window wipes, etc. come in) & they work really good to keep your cats ears clean. Which, in turn, will discourage the return of ear mites. Hope this helps!

GsdDiamond
November 12th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Probably and knowing for certain are the difference between a cat with a problem that'll go away with little or no fuss, and a cat that's going deaf from not acting fast enough.

To be 100% certain, call your Vet to reschedule if possible. Or, the Vet may be able to tell you over the phone what the signs are. If it is an infection, and you treat for mites, the problem may get worse.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Where do cats get mites from??
Also, I looked at his ear compared to this morning and it's not even darker than the other one? The color now looks the same, and I haven't seen him scratch it once today.Is he holding his ear not quite straight? Does he shake his head a lot? Nope, nothing is different. Now I don't know what to think.

GsdDiamond
November 12th, 2004, 02:27 PM
It may have been nothing to be worried about then. You know how sometimes you get an itch that you can't seem to shake? Maybe that's what happened here. Since his ear doesn't seem to be bothering him, the color is now normal, and he's not scratching at it, I would wait for the upcoming Vet appt and see what the Vet says.
Don't try to use any medication, as you don't know what the problem is.

Let us know what the Vet says...ok? If it is mites, then yeah, they're easily fixed. I'm not sure how they're transmitted....could travel on clothes...I'm not really sure.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I will, thanks! :D

mastifflover
November 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Does his ear smell yucky? That is a sure sign of infection but it could be nothing as GSD said watch him over the weekend if you notice him shaking his head a lot or paying more attention to his ear than usual I would take him in on Monday.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Nope, not stinky! Thank god... I hope it's nothing. I called the vet and they still wanna see him, of course, but they said it sounds as if it should be no hurry.