Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a female Bichon Ottawa Canada

swishy
November 11th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Hi - Needle in a haystack search... here goes. I had a wonderfully pampered 18.5 year old Bichon. She gave us so much joy and she had a wonderful life. Last week was tough, to say the least. - We are now ready for a new female Bichon. Any chance of finding a one year old female Bichon, that is housebroken and past the puppy chewing stage? -- Like I said, I know it's a needle in a haystack search. I gotta try... :thumbs up Anybody know of any Bichon referrals??? :thumbs up
Thanks everyone.
Stephanie

goldenblaze
November 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM
There are some Bichons at www.petfinder.com have a look there. Good Luck and enjoy :)

SarahJane
November 14th, 2004, 10:19 AM
There is a male Bichon (oscar) available at Gerdy's here in Montreal http://www.gerdysrescue.org/index_ENG.html. I just noticed his adoption is pending, but maybe you can apply just in case it doesn't work out? Always worth a shot. Good luck! :)

NO NO bad dog
November 14th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Kim are you just brokering as when i talked to you about puppies you were asking $400 without stuff being done you said some had not even been to the vets let alone shots or anything else.
You were just the middle person for a puppy miller

Lucky Rescue
November 14th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I am dealing with a breeder right now that may turn out to have a retiring female Bichon

Why would a rescue be "dealing" with a breeder? And why would a breeder of Bichons need help from a rescue? :confused:

you were asking $400 without stuff being done you said some had not even been to the vets let alone shots or anything else.

Is this true?

NO NO bad dog
November 14th, 2004, 04:47 PM
When i talked to her she had different puppies,some were mixed and that her mom was fostering the 3 of them.
She didn't know which ones had seen the vet and which of them didn't.
She also had adults that she was adopting out which the adopter was going to be responsible to get fixed even though she was asking $200 +
This was a male chi.
My fear is that whats stopping a breeder (miller) from getting him and he never does escape the horror of the puppy mill.

Lucky Rescue
November 14th, 2004, 05:50 PM
No reputable breeder of such desirable dogs as Bichons and Chis should need a rescue to help them get homes for retired breeders. They should have a waiting list of qualified homes eager to take dogs.

KimC - are you adopting out small purebreds or other adult dogs intact? If so, why and how would you guarantee they are not bred?

CyberKitten
November 14th, 2004, 06:22 PM
I have to admit I am shocked that any rescue organization would work with a breeder. Unless the breeder came across a dog (or cat -depending on the nature of their rescue work) with a pet in need of a rehoming due to some situation and thus referred the situation to the rescue group. Most reputable breeders of Siamese cats for example, have links to Siamese Rescue but they themselves exclusively seek adopters only for their kittens.

There must be quite a few Bichon Rescue groups in North America. I imagine you would have to pay a fee. This is the best known Bichon rescue site:

http://www.bichonrescue.org/

I wish you luck in your search!

CyberKitten
November 14th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Here is a Bishon in Hamilton, Ontario:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3480372&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4197f85b39bd37f6-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

and there is a baby in Bellerose, NY

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3520972&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4197f89d3c505f8b-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

kimc
November 14th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I am so deeply disgusted by the lack of respect and courtesy NO No Bad Dog has shown by questioning my ethics at all on a public board.You have all of my contact information and could have asked more questions at any time.You never once expressed any concern while speaking to me.How very unethical of you to slander me publically when education about me and my rescue was at your disposal at any time freely.Further more you contacted me wishing for help in re-homing a problematic c8cker spaniel.Your word were that your husband would be very upset if you spent 200-400$ on another rescue without getting back at least 300$ for the c*cker first.Pets are a lifetime committment.I am sorry I was not able to trade you.I hope you will invest your money seeking the professional training help you need for your c*cker and not on another dog.
As I have made clear in other posta, I also have pitbull mixes, sheperds and other pound/shelter dogs available.This is the primary rescueing I do.However upon recently stumbling onto a puppymill I began placing some of this womans dogs and attempting to educate her.I also contacted authorities.will cont....

kimc
November 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
who did remove some animals.This woman continues to breed.I could have walked away at that point but decided that would solve nothing.Small dogs are in high demand and she would continue to sell and breed regarless of my involvment.Instead I decided to arrange to purchase dogs/puppies for 50$ more than the woman was selling them to for through pet stores, brokers ect.This way I could ensure the dogs/puppies were adopted to pre-screened homes....not to just whoever paid for them.I feel I have saved these dogs from the certain fate of being either traded to worse millers as stock, neglectful or ill informed homes and impulse buyers at Petstores.The possibilities as to where the animals could have ended up are endless.Instead I sleep well at night assured that each dog/puppy adopted through me went to an excellent home on a spay/neuter contract to be complied with by the age of 5months or returned to rescue.Since I am not a lottery winner...no these puppies have not been prematurely altered.I allow for 2 weeks altering to take place in the case of adults.I am a regular person such as yourself giving freely my time and finances to help these animals.I do however have limitations.If I was unsure at the time we spoke which pups had been vetted...my apologies.I struggle as a mother to three young children, the caregiver to a live in senior disabled relative ect...things get hectic!I would have clarified had I not seen it as a waste of time since you would not be approved to adopt anyway.If I were a broker why would I be doing referrals to people here needing to place an animal.Look at the post Febe needs a home.I successfully re-homed her.I do not profit from this.I am appalled that I would be put into the same category as the very people I look at in disgust.In cases such as Febe's if the owner wishes to make a donation, it is accepted and used for vetting ect but nothing is required.I do this because I love animals.Most rescues would not deal with a breeder?I am doing this for the animals NOT THE BREEDER!Would these dogs or the problem disappear if I had ignored it?I feel I have contributed greatly to saving these animals lives and ensuring they did not continue to contribute to the pet overpopulation that is already such a serious epidemic.If i broke some traditional rescue rules that I wasn't aware existed...my apologies but I don't rescue to please people, I rescue because I love animals.Your feeling and unfounded guesses about me are meaningless.I would however suggest that before you slander someone you first aquire all the facts or you could find yourself facing legal action.My reputation is important to me, without it I can do very little for the lives I am fighting for.Did you ever consider that while you posted publically about me?It is my feeling that a little tact would have went a long way here.

kimc
November 14th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Luckyrescue, in response to what you wrote;

No reputable breeder of such desirable dogs as Bichons and Chis should need a rescue to help them get homes for retired breeders. They should have a waiting list of qualified homes eager to take dogs.

Exactly correct.She is not reputable, does this mean I should not help the animals involved?

Sneaky2006
November 15th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Kim, in all fairness to Lucky, you said you were dealing with this breeder, that didn't sound like you are saving anything, sorry.

Spurby
November 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM
who did remove some animals.This woman continues to breed.I could have walked away at that point but decided that would solve nothing.Small dogs are in high demand and she would continue to sell and breed regarless of my involvment.Instead I decided to arrange to purchase dogs/puppies for 50$ more than the woman was selling them to for through pet stores, brokers ect.This way I could ensure the dogs/puppies were adopted to pre-screened homes....not to just whoever paid for them.I feel I have saved these dogs from the certain fate of being either traded to worse millers as stock, neglectful or ill informed homes and impulse buyers at Petstores.The possibilities as to where the animals could have ended up are endless.Instead I sleep well at night assured that each dog/puppy adopted through me went to an excellent home on a spay/neuter contract to be complied with by the age of 5months or returned to rescue.Since I am not a lottery winner...no these puppies have not been prematurely altered.I allow for 2 weeks altering to take place in the case of adults.I am a regular person such as yourself giving freely my time and finances to help these animals.I do however have limitations.If I was unsure at the time we spoke which pups had been vetted...my apologies.I struggle as a mother to three young children, the caregiver to a live in senior disabled relative ect...things get hectic!I would have clarified had I not seen it as a waste of time since you would not be approved to adopt anyway.If I were a broker why would I be doing referrals to people here needing to place an animal.Look at the post Febe needs a home.I successfully re-homed her.I do not profit from this.I am appalled that I would be put into the same category as the very people I look at in disgust.In cases such as Febe's if the owner wishes to make a donation, it is accepted and used for vetting ect but nothing is required.I do this because I love animals.Most rescues would not deal with a breeder?I am doing this for the animals NOT THE BREEDER!Would these dogs or the problem disappear if I had ignored it?I feel I have contributed greatly to saving these animals lives and ensuring they did not continue to contribute to the pet overpopulation that is already such a serious epidemic.If i broke some traditional rescue rules that I wasn't aware existed...my apologies but I don't rescue to please people, I rescue because I love animals.Your feeling and unfounded guesses about me are meaningless.I would however suggest that before you slander someone you first aquire all the facts or you could find yourself facing legal action.My reputation is important to me, without it I can do very little for the lives I am fighting for.Did you ever consider that while you posted publically about me?It is my feeling that a little tact would have went a long way here.

I don't know whether to laugh at your riduculous lies, or cry. It is very hard to convince people the truth over the internet that someone claiming to be a rescue, is actually a broker. I really take offense to people who claim to be "rescuers" when all they are in it for is the money, plain and simple. People who do rescue ethically go through many hardships for real, because they really love the animals they take in, they would never use innocent animals bred by a puppy miller to make a quick buck.

Your first sentence is completely false KimC(or whoever you really are) If everyone walked away from the BYB's and stopped buying from them, we wouldn't have the problems we have today, so stop enabling this person by buying her pups! The truth is, i don't really believe that is the case here anyway. Do you really expect people with a brain to believe that crap?? You buying them for $50 more, come on!! even IF it was true, you are still contributing to the problem, and people buying from you are as well. And tell me, you aren't even vetting them before placement, so how are you any different from the BYB??

Keep sleeping well at night, i guess that is why it is so easy for you to do what you do.

raingirl
November 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Hi Kim.

I'm not sure that I agree with what you are doing. I do feel bad when I got in a pet store and see dogs that need good homes, and I think about all the bad people getting them and that they might possibly end up in another mill. I do understand that you are trying to make sure that these dogs end up in good homes as opposed to a pet store where anyone could buy one.

However, don't you know that by paying the miller, you are giving him/her more money to further their business? If the miller is being investigated, I would think they would be anxious to get rid of their dogs, and you shouldn't have to pay for them? It also appears that you are getting the older dogs, not the puppies, right? What about the puppies. The miller might see you as a business partner now, because they are making more money.

badger
November 15th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Kim, where do you keep all these dogs you are offering? Are they with you or 'on hold' somewhere? I do not doubt your drive to help, we all have the same gene, although perhaps not to the same extent. If a lost or abused animal crosses my path, I'm ON it, but I don't go looking for more. But when your name pops up the minute someone comes on here looking for a dog, I have to wonder. And if you haven't physically rescued these animals AND money changes hands (apart from the adoption/neutering fee), then I'm worried.
You would be better to lobby for stiffer laws against millers, rather than helping them to unload puppies, making space so that they can churn out a few more. Maybe now that you have some connections, you could go undercover and get a couple of them busted.
Here's another idea, seriously: if you are good at linking people up with needy dogs, why not call yourself a broker? You would have to stop snuggling up to the bad guys, however, to gain any respect on these boards.

NO NO bad dog
November 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I would like to clarify a few things the Kim said.

I NEVER asked to trade the spaniel that is in my care. I have a problem dog and am working with a trainer who has already said that my home is not the right home for him but I am still trying to do the best thing and work with him until such time as i can find the right home for him. He doesn't like KIDS CATS OR DOGS so why would i trade with you that has kids and other dogs that would not be an inprovement at all.

I did say that my husband would not be pay another 300-400 more for a dog and have to do all the vet work as well.

And I am asking $200 for the spaniel who is already neutered shots done, microchipped and been tested for worms and heartworm and is obedience trained. That i feel is reasonable as it doesn't even cover my costs by any stretch of the imagination but i am not in for the money just to find him his perfect home. I did say that if you knew anyone that might be interested in him to please email me

Now can you explain why i would not be approved for a dog as i have excellent references that would back up what i say. My mistake in all of this is that i got the spaniel from a pound in the states sight unseen and they had said that he was ok with everything and that was untrue so shoot me for that I will never do that again but i just wanted to give a dog a good home

NO NO bad dog
November 15th, 2004, 09:45 AM
I would like everyone to know that i have not decided to re home the spaniel without alot of thougt. I have a cat who is very old and he has tried to attack her on numerous occassions.

He also doesn't like other dogs and i have two big dogs that he has attacked but they are good temperment that they just walked away.

Also he has nipped everyone in the house including the kids and i don't feel that is fair to anyone.

The trainer has said that his best home is with no kids no cats and no other dogs and with an older couple that has a quiet home. He is a nervous dog that bites out of reaction. He is fixable in the right home but he has said that my home is too active for him. I have had him since July so I definitely am not trying to ditch him. I want the right home for him and will hold on to him until that home can be found.

In the meantime i have a couple of leads on a bed buddy for my daughter so thanks to those who sent me links etc. I will let everyone know when i pick the right one

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Let me see if I"m getting this right.

You are BUYING dogs from a puppymiller/backyard breeder - not only paying her but paying her MORE than anyone else would?? Why is that? So is this supposed to make her stop breeding when you are financially rewarding her for breeding? On the contrary, you are encouraging her to breed MORE.

IF a miller decided to stop breeding and GAVE you the dogs to rehome, that would be rescue.

To give a miller or petstore one cent for a puppy or kitten is perpetuating this abuse. The only way to stop it is to STOP supporting these people.

If you are paying her for the dogs, then selling them for more than you paid (and intact too) then that is brokering.

no these puppies have not been prematurely altered.I allow for 2 weeks altering to take place in the case of adults.

Surely you know that two weeks is plenty long enough for someone to breed a dog? Is the cost of neutering/spaying included in your adoption fee? It should be, so why don't you neuter them yourself before placement? NO reputable rescue should or would EVER adopt out intact animals of any kind. PERIOD. If someone wants to adopt one of our animals who has recently given birth, they can pre-adopt the pet, and pick it up at the vet AFTER it's been neutered.

I think it's all said right here:
This woman continues to breed.I could have walked away at that point but decided that would solve nothing.Small dogs are in high demand and she would continue to sell and breed regarless of my involvment

Of course she continues to breed. Why not, since she has you as a steady customer? And what is being solved by you giving her money? A huge number of millers operate here in Quebec and will do so regardless of MY involvement, but at least I don't have on my conscience that I am aiding and abetting the abuse of these animals for profit and I would never EVER pay them a dime.

If you can afford to buy all these mill puppies, why can't you afford to spay and neuter the adult dogs you are "adopting" out?

If I am misunderstanding what you are saying, please clarify.

Spurby
November 15th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Until people stop buying and SELLING dogs from puppy mills, the abuse will never stop, please do not support this kind of abuse, it breaks my heart to know that many dogs suffer so much, all for greed$$$$$$$

**WARNING GRAPHIC LINK OF PUPPY MILLS*****
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kgaeding/puppy/picsmills.html

kimc
November 15th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Give me a viable solution to helping these dogs directly.I am fully open to ideas.Should I walk away and leave them to their fate?There are plenty of people who will continue to purchase them in my place with little or no regard for them.I don't see how walking away hwlps at all.Its not realistic, the problem will still be there.

lil_kirk
November 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Yes walk away. At least she has to FIND her own business instead of you being her guaranteed buyer. She has no worries right now--she just breeds knowing you will buy her puppies--which btw may have genetic problems and health issues galore. If ppl have problems with her puppies do they come calling to you?? If so, you've also become her shield...

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM
A viable solution is putting her out of business by not buying her puppies and warning everyone you know not to either and reporting abuse.

I think you understand very well what we are saying.

no these puppies have not been prematurely altered.I allow for 2 weeks altering to take place in the case of adults.

Surely you know that two weeks is plenty long enough for someone to breed a dog? Is the cost of neutering/spaying included in your adoption fee? It should be, so why don't you neuter them yourself before placement?

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I have read this thread and am a little unclear. Do you Kim operate a Rescue? Do you have a chairitable tax number? Do you make a profit? Why in God's name would you even BUY puppies from a puppy mill? Don't you know that is just keeping that person in business!!! It hardly qualifies as rescue! And why - like that post re the visusally impaired person seeking a dog do you pop up suddenly with dogs available? Is there a link to your rescue?

I do not want to be judgemental - there are always explanation for everything - but perhaps you can explain where your dogs come from (How they are rescued and so forth). Also, how do you fund your rescue? Is this a fulltime occupation or an avoaction?

Thanks!!

kimc
November 15th, 2004, 03:08 PM
This is the final time I will address this thread.I have done rescue for quite some time now and have never before been involved with a breeder in any way.What I am wondering is isn't a rescuer someone who aids animals?This is precisely what I am doing.I too of course agree that if everyone stopped buying from byb's and petstores the problem would decrease dramitcally.I can not however justifye leaving animals to suffer that I can help.That would equate to me being no different than a miller, broker.Only I would be aware of their suffering and contributing to it not for monetary gain such as a miller or broker but for the "bigger" picture of eventually eradicating these businesses.I too would love to see this happen and believe that with education it will decline and hopefully one day end.While I could choose to do that reality is these puppies and dogs are alive now.... will continue to be bought and sold and bred as will their offspring.I am ensuring any dogs that I rescue from there are never bred.I am helping these animals and educating adopters on puppy mills.Isn't letting these puppies fufill the fate they have been dealt cruel, when I am capable of changing it?I am looking for intelligent responses and am truly open to others ideas when presented in a respectful manner.I do not need to be called a liar ect...What does that accomplish?If I were a broker...why would I post here, screen homes?Why would I re-home strays, pound and shelter dogs, assist owners in rehoming?

LL1
November 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
If you were a rescue you would give shelter references. Dogs you were working on to rescue in shelters would also be available to other rescues to help, you would post about them and other rescues could help out.

If you were a rescue you would vet AND alter dogs before placing.

Rescue in Ontario is a very well connected group, we all know who each other are.

You are a broker.

lil_kirk
November 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I think we should give KimC a chance to respond...maybe she really does want advice. Perhaps her intentions were actually genunine...let's give her the benefit of the doubt here. She did ask for advice...

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM
This is someone who is saying herself that she buys puppies from a miller and re-sells them intact.

I want to know why I'm not getting an answer to the question I asked concerning her adopting out purebred INTACT adult dogs and giving adopters two weeks to neuter them. For the 3rd time, kimc:

Surely you know that two weeks is plenty long enough for someone to breed a dog? Is the cost of neutering/spaying included in your adoption fee? It should be, so why don't you neuter them yourself before placement?

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Re: "I am ensuring any dogs that I rescue from there are never bred.I am helping these animals and educating adopters on puppy mills.Isn't letting these puppies fufill the fate they have been dealt cruel"

I am sorry, you still did not respond to my question. How does your rescue operate and how is it funded? If it is legitimate, then surely you are associated with other rescue organizations, have open books and records for those who donate to your cause available and more so if you have a charitable status? That's what I asked. It seemed a relatively simple question and I am not being snarky when I say that.

I genuinely want to know how you are helping these dogs?

How do you ensure they are never bred? That has to mean that you neuter them - ie - you have a vet on call or associated with your group that neuters the pets before they are adopted.

If you buy them from a puppy mill and resell them, then that is the classic definition of a broker, even if you do not make a profit. Rescuing puppies from a puppy mills requires contating the auathorities and shutting them down and assessing the puppies and older dogs and aiding them medically. It means making tough decisions and also alerting the media about the mills and urgng people NOT to purchase the puppies from anyone - brokers or pet stores or backyard sellers.

If you carry out the responsibilities described in the latter, the you are a rescue group. Otherwise, you merely encourage the miller to continue to profit. Not only does that maintain the suffering of these poor abused animals, it further ensures that puppies with a plethora of medical problems are being bred and sold on an unsuspecting market.

If you do that, you need to STOP NOW!

If you are a rescue group, then let people like animal lovers on this site and others by any means you have available where these puppy mills are so they can be shut down permanently. Then and only then will you have truly helped them!

lil_kirk
November 15th, 2004, 05:52 PM
I don't know if anyone else noticed...but KimC said in her last post that it would be her final address to the thread.

I'm just as passionate as the next person about ensuring that puppy mills are stopped and that no one contributes further to their business--but I really feel that instead of educating KimC, she's been alienated...and now she may just go on and continue what she's been doing. :(

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I was not attenpting to alienate her but she truly and honestly did not answer my questions, sigh!!!! And if she would do so, I would comprehend just exactly what it is she is trying to do and she did say she was open to ideas. So hence my reply.

Unfortunately, puppy millers have many Kims - if indeed she is a broker. She may be well intentioned and just not realize that by rewarding them financially, she is only perpetuating the puppy mill. (She did not say how old she was). If she is utilizing this site for her brokering, then I will not worry about her being alienated.

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Lil Kirk, I understand what you are saying and it's nice that you want to give the benefit of the doubt to people.

I'm just as passionate as the next person about ensuring that puppy mills are stopped and that no one contributes further to their business--but I really feel that instead of educating KimC, she's been alienated...and now she may just go on and continue what she's been doing

She does not need educating - she know exactly what she is doing. By her OWN admission, she is paying BIG bucks to a puppymill for puppies that are byb, no health testing, no titles, no spay/neuter, and selling them for even bigger bucks. In other words, she is profiting from the suffering of these animals, and condoning and abetting this practice.

She says:
I am ensuring any dogs that I rescue from there are never bred
Yet in another post, she admits she adopts out INTACT adult dogs. Call me stupid but I don't understand how you can do that and yet ensure they aren't bred??

Funny how these people all leave in a huff when someone asks them legitimate questions and she did not answer ONE of them. I would have no problem answering any and all questions about the policies and operations of Lucky Rescue. In fact, we welcome questions. But then, what we are doing is not immoral and unethical.

lil_kirk
November 15th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Fair enough--the reality is that I am not in the rescue business so I suppose I am not truly able to read btw the lines of all the "Kims" out there!

I guess I was just hopeful she would come around...ah...too much optimisim (though normally I am not like this!).

BMDLuver
November 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
KimC, if you are truly trying to help these dogs and what you are doing is legit.. How would you feel about someone visiting yourself, the dogs in foster care and the miller? This can be arranged between Nov. 24 - Nov. 28. Please respond in this thread as I would prefer to agree or respond to this on the board.

Spurby
November 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Fair enough--the reality is that I am not in the rescue business so I suppose I am not truly able to read btw the lines of all the "Kims" out there!

I guess I was just hopeful she would come around...ah...too much optimisim (though normally I am not like this!).

That's right lil lirk, it is hard for people not involved with rescue to see just what we see, and read behind the lines as well. LR is right, she knows just what she is doing, some people just don't care if what they are doing is wrong, or harmful, they will continue to do so anyway if it comes at a profit :mad: It is nice to see many who want to see the "good" in people, i do try as well, but many of them are lost causes.

lil_kirk
November 15th, 2004, 08:17 PM
True---I do feel bad for the original poster though---they're hunt for a Bichon Frise has sort of died out!

Sneaky2006
November 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
So if Kim is a broker, or acting like one, if that's even possible to act like one... why is she allowed to post here and tell people (everyone she comes across that matches a breeder she knows) about dogs she "rescued"?? I didn't think that type of person was welcome here... but of course I could be wrong. :p

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 07:45 AM
and if she is a rescue, why is she posting in the classifieds on petfinder? If she was a rescue, I would assume she would have a rescue page and post in the other areas of petfinder, not the classifieds.

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Of course that type of person is not welcome, and it was very suspicious how she always had the type of dog someone was looking for available - even hard to find dogs, like young Chis, Yorkies, "poo-type" mixes and now Bichons - all puppy mill favorites.

But until she just recently, on this thread, admitted to brokering there was no way to be sure. I"m not saying she doesn't do some legitimate rescuing, but this other thing cancels that out.

I don't think she'll be back. Too many questions that cannot be answered and these people usually become irate and disappear when that happens.

NO NO bad dog
November 16th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I am sorry if i caused a whole lot of problems but when she started talking to me on the phone i didn't think something sounded right. I hope that she does the right thing and not keep selling the millers puppies.

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2004, 12:24 PM
On the contrary, No No, your questions may have alerted us to her true intentions. I found it curious as well that she always "happened" to have just the right dog. (But one does not like to jump to conclusions)

mastifflover
November 16th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I have stayed out of this but you guys are so right she always had a line on all these very popular small breed which we all know keep the millers and byb's in biz. No rescue would release a dog unvetted and not spayed or neutered unless there was some medical reason. Even then I am sure that would be addressed in your contract with the rescue. My guy was released unneutered but was on meds and could not be sedated while on them. So in my contract I had to produce neuter records from my vet within 1 week of a clean bill of health. My option to not neuter would have meant giving him back and most likely they would have taken legal action if I did not do either and I would expect nothing less from a reputable rescue. The reason he was released to me was he was in a different province and the transport was a problem so when it happened it happened and I gave my word and they spoke with my vet. This kind of dilligence on the part of rescues in not unheard of and in my opinion I would have thought something was not right if they would not have insisted on these things to ensure that Buddy was going to a good home.

Lucky Rescue
November 16th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I just wrote to Pefinder, and hope they will delete her ads on their Classified sections.

Sneaky2006
November 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I can't even imagine how much money she's made this way... all the while she's talkin about saving animals... how screwed up is that? Screwed not being my first choice of words! :mad:

NO NO bad dog
November 16th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Thank you LR If we shut off her way of peddling these puppies then maybe she will stop what she is doing.

I am getting such an education from here in the last year. I never thought there were people around like that.

Getting a pet is such a scary thing to make sure that you are getting them from the right people.

LL1
November 16th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Get a copy of the breed rescue and all breed rescue book that is in all Ontario shelters. Best place to start, the brokers and unethical rescues are not in it. You can view it online here http://speakingofdogs.com/rescue.html

CyberKitten
November 16th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I understand how you feel No No. Five yrs ago, I was still wandering the aisles of pet stores that displayed pets, sigh!!! But they never looked all that healthy and in retrospect, must have been sooooooo stressed!!!

NO NO bad dog
November 16th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Did anyone notice that Jenn Connors info is still listed at the bottom of those shelters

LL1
November 17th, 2004, 09:57 AM
That's last year's directory, the new one will be up in the next few days, with certain folks removed.

NO NO bad dog
November 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Ok i just remembered the thread from here and wondered if someone had just forgotten

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Luckily Jenns reputation has finally and hopefully put her out of business forever. No loss to the rescue world.

LL1
November 17th, 2004, 10:52 AM
She was well regarded back when she was Mud Huskies - but as happens with some she went off the rails.

mastifflover
November 17th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I got Boo when she was Mud Huskies she was already going down fast at that point

LL1
November 17th, 2004, 11:35 AM
She was Mud Huskies for quite awhile and rescued Huskies for a couple years before having a name from what I recall.