Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worker problem advice

raingirl
November 11th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Hello,

I need some advice.

I have a file at work that was transfered to me when the previous file handler went on emergency maternity leave.

I can't really go into details, but there is a legal case involved.

It appears the previous file handler really mishandled the file. My manager and the lawyer want me to call up the previous file handler at home and ask here what is going on and why there is info missing. I've already called her once asking why a paper was missing, but she said "we never received it" and that's why it's not there. Further review of the file we found a note from her indicating she did receive it, so she lied to me, or doesn't remember, or just doesn't care.

I don't feel right doing this as she just had a premie baby, and I'm sure she doesn't want to be bothered because she is stressed. Plus, she is a very..."overbearing" person, quite outspoken, and you can't really argue with her, because she's an "I'm always right" person. Nothing against her though, because she is really nice. But she left behind a little mess.

I really don't want to call her. Should I just ask my manager to do it for me?

mastifflover
November 11th, 2004, 10:36 AM
That is your managers job let him/her do it. Management loves to pass on their job to others especially if it can create problems they would much rather let someone else deal with it.

Gazoo
November 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
This is my take on the situation.

I'd be more assertive with this person.

The file is yours now and you're probably the one that will take the blame if it continues to go sideways. IMHO its your ass is on the line!

So I'd call your co-worker at home and light her on fire!! :evil:

The premie baby really doesn't play in to it in my opinion...she didn't do a good job now she needs to deal with the situation regardless of her personal life.

That being said it would probably be just as easy to handle it yourself and rebuild the file.

Your boss is expecting you to handle it. If you try to pass the buck you're only going to hurt yourself professionally.

Just my .25. Good Luck.

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I would suggest that you talk to your manager and tell the truth. You're uncomfortable with interrupting this person at home since they are officially not working for a while anymore.

There is obvious "neglect" on this person's part and I'm sure that now is not the time to try and get herto fess up and fix it since she does have her hands very full.
The best thing might be to try and track down the information required (if possible) and try and have a duplicate sent - then at least the required information is in the file.
You're going to have to work through the file and start collecting missing information. If there is a victim involved they're not going to stand for "someone screwed up".

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's just my opinion.. I face crap like this constantly. And as bad as it sounds, "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself!" ;)

Good luck! I hope it works out for you!!!

raingirl
November 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone.

It's such a touchy situation. The problem is that the document that is missing could potentially cost us a lot of money (up to 1 million). Even if we get it now, it doesn't make a difference because we would still owe benefits for the time in between when we said we had it until we responded to it. It's kinda hard to explain.

In my job we have a government law that says we have to respond to applications and invoices within a certain number of days (usually 14 days or 30 days). If we don't respond, the application is accepted or the expense is deemed approved. Well...this document that the previous file handler says we got...we got it in 2001 and didn't respond...or at least we can't find our response. We can't exactly go to the other party and say "can you send us a copy of what we said about it because we can't find ours?"

Ug....I'm going to talk to my manager.

Writing4Fun
November 11th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I don't know about this, folks. I don't know if it's even legal for you to call someone on mat leave and bug them about work. They might be able to call the labour board to complain. Whatever happened before they left should have been dealt with before they left. Technically, they are on EI right now. I don't think it's right to complain about their work now. If there really is a problem, the manager should be making a note of it in their employment records, clean up the file as best they can now, and deal with the bad work when/if she comes back from mat leave.

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I'm with W4F... I didn't think that people on maternity leave could be bothered with work items since they are technically "unemployed".

I wasn't aware of the seriousness of the missing document. Yeah, you definately can't really call and ask for a copy.

This is something that your manager should definately deal with. If it could cost the company that much money - don't take the fall for this, it's definately not your fault!