Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PETA supports BSL

Schwinn
November 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Here are some links to some of the research I found.

http://www.workingpitbull.com/truthaboutpeta.htm
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/PETAA.cfm
http://community-2.webtv.net/PRECIOUSFORD/IngridNewkirkPETA/
http://www.borzoi.net/RMBC/Articles.htm

Sheriffmom
November 11th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Hey Schwinn,
I started a thread awhile ago called "Disappointed in PETA". I posted the letters (both theirs and mine) from PETA, about BSL. I was sooo disappointed in them!!! So I started researching PETA, and was SHOCKED by alot of their statements, claims, facts and figures. I will NEVER support (financially or time wise) PETA again. I was so angry with them, and a lot of their statements (and articles by I. Newkirk) I really thought about sending their letters to those hypocritical celebs who keep supporting PETA.
PS Not only does PETA agree with BSL, they are against "no kill shelters" and rescues, they activly euthanize animals surredndered to them (higher euthanization percentage then the national SPCA average), and they spend less then 1% of their money on physically helping animals, the rest is just ads, court costs, and grants to ppl.
Go to google and type in "PETA Pitbull" or "Ingrid Newkirk" some of the stuff you find is pretty crazy!!

mastifflover
November 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
I used to think they were about animal right but they have so many extremist involved with them now I could not support them. They have become like the fanatics who are against abortion and go and kill doctors. Sorry just used that as an example not meant to offend. But I do not believe extremist ever get things done without violence or innocent people getting hurt. They also have way to many people saying different things so you never know where they really stand. As I say they like to baffle you with bullsh***.They tell you what they think you want to hear and I have heard numerous complaint about their code of ethics and morals.

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize this was posted already. Didn't see it .

The problem with PETA is most people in the organization are morons. They make factitious statements, and just say some pretty stupid things. I truly believe in parts of thier cause, but overall, I think the organisation is a blight. I don't want to go on a tangent, because I really don't intend to offend anyone, so I'll leave it at that.

Sheriffmom
November 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM
There are some interesting facts/figures etc at http://www.consumerfreedom.com/issuepage.cfm/topic/8
For me I choose to support (both financially and with my time) organizations that actually help the animals....Physically improve their lives. I choose not to support an organization who spends most of it's money on law suits, land, vehicles, and grants to convicted felons.... and have a higher then the national average euthanasia policy, who fight against "no kill shelters" and rescues, and support BSL. I also find it repugnant that they use trajedies to try and promote their cause... it's very Charlton Heston/NRA ish. (Mayor Gulliani- "Got Prostate Cancer", comparing Pigs to the murdered women in Vancouver. etc...)
Here are a few other web sites I found enlightening!!

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/21
http://www.animalscam.com/

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Hey, those are pretty interesting sites! I've always felt that PETA and terrorist groups of thier ilk where rather pompous, self-rightous, and pretty much wrong. One of thier off-shoots have been promoting sticking stickers that say "eating meat" on stop signs. Clever. Glad my tax dollars are paying to remove thier propaganda (don't even get me started on the whole vegatarian thing. I don't have a problem with vegatarianism or vegatarians, but some of the radical ones really irritate me). I was going to go to the dollar store and by some cheap I heart whatever stickers, cut off the I heart part and stick it right beside thier stickers. Then I saw something shiny, got distracted, and never got around to it...

Shae
November 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
There may be certain members that are this way, yes, maybe even several but as I mentioned before you cannot judge an entire cause or group b/c of certain members. I work hard to get the word out about Iams and various causes,...............I'm hardly a terrorist. Just an avid animal lover who has seen a lot 1st hand. Whether it be from the animal hospital I worked in for 16 as vet assistant/tech or the volunteer work I do, the rescue assn, etc,etc ......you don't need to be a fan of Peta but dont bash every single person affilated with them either. I take pride in being a good mother to my 2 daughters and a good mom to all our rescues..........and yes, I do volunteer work for various org's....including Peta, IFAW, WSPA,VHS.

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
You can judge an organisation by it's leaders, philosphies, and actions. Individuals who are part of the Hell's Angels may not necessarily be criminals, but they are part of a dispicable criminal organisation. I'm not passing judgement on you, just the organisation. I when I make statements like "PETA is a bunch of morons", again, that is in reference to the organisation, and those who run it. If you choose to support a terrorist organisation, that's up to you.

Mistruzzi
November 11th, 2004, 05:13 PM
When a pit bull ban was proposed in my city,the PETA butted their noses in and wrote a letter to our local paper stating that 'pit bulls should be banned because people abuse them, which makes them mean and vicious and therefore should be banned'. I was so ticked off!!

Pie
November 12th, 2004, 10:59 AM
A friend has been sending me links to the messages on this board since the proposed "pit bull" ban in Ontario.

Just wanted to say that I couldnt have said things better myself regarding some of the posts. Thats something else - because I usually say things pretty darn good ;)

Schwinn, its good to see others exposing PETA for what the really are. They like to hide their true agenda under a cozy and warm do gooder image.

Pie.

mastifflover
November 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I don't think anybody here feels that you are the problem it is PETA they try and lure you in like they really care but most o fthe people who run it are a bunch of zealots. Personally I would rather give my hard earned dollars to groups who support what I believe. Not groups who in my opinion exploit animals for their own benefit and causes.

Luvmypit
November 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Well said mastifflover. I agree completely. They spend more money on advertising and celebrity speakers then any cause alone. What they stand for makes them money unfortunantly hardley any animals see it. And ofcourse we don't mean the frontline contributers and volunteers. I also don't think they need to tell me not to eat meat as I believe that is all the circle of life. Nor should I feel bad eating it either.

tiffers
June 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I think people have been fed misinformation about peta. name one charity that doesnt spend a crap load of money on advertising campaigns. if you compare Peta to any other charity youll see its not much different.

I also think some of the people on this thread are miunderstanding the companion animal campaign, they are not trying to erradicate dogs or cats. they are trying to get people to be better animal companions by not chaining their dogs outside for their whole life, not giving an animal away for free because people who sell abandoned animals to test labs will 'adopt' them...

they are very much against puppy mills, pet store bought pets, and breeders because there are so many animals that need to be adoopted or they will be killed for being unwanted once they have grown into dogs and arent cute like puppies anymore, cost too much to keep etc. i think some of you need to go do somemore research and not just run with the crowd.

I am against the ban and I am not a member of peta... just to clear that up.

LavenderRott
June 25th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I think people have been fed misinformation about peta. name one charity that doesnt spend a crap load of money on advertising campaigns. if you compare Peta to any other charity youll see its not much different.

I also think some of the people on this thread are miunderstanding the companion animal campaign, they are not trying to erradicate dogs or cats. they are trying to get people to be better animal companions by not chaining their dogs outside for their whole life, not giving an animal away for free because people who sell abandoned animals to test labs will 'adopt' them...

they are very much against puppy mills, pet store bought pets, and breeders because there are so many animals that need to be adoopted or they will be killed for being unwanted once they have grown into dogs and arent cute like puppies anymore, cost too much to keep etc. i think some of you need to go do somemore research and not just run with the crowd.

I am against the ban and I am not a member of peta... just to clear that up.

I don't think that many of the people here really care about how much money PETA spends on advertising. I think they really care how much money they spend on domestic terrorism against labs and other such things.

I think if you looked into PETA a little further then just a quick google search, you will find that not only is PETA all for banning any breed of dog, but they are totally against human interaction with animals of any kind. While those of you who think that that means that they promote a vegan lifestyle - they also believe that companion animals should be eradicated. This is evidenced in part by the newspaper article from a week or so ago about the bodies of the dogs that were dumped people driving a PETA registered van into a dumpster. (You should be able to find a link to the article here on the forum.) Also a few months ago I read an article about a feline shelter run by PETA in one of the New England States. After the shelter closed at night - every animal that was surrendered by owner was euthanized. No exceptions. And the shelter workers would trap feral cats - saying that they were going to speuter them, and euthanized them too.

As far as doing volunteer work for them or donating money to them- not in a million years. Doing so would look to other people like I support what they stand for and I don't. While I may agree with helping people speuter their pets at a fee they can afford, for example, someone could also assume that I agreed with their euthanizing every animal they get their hands on. Not this girl.

Rottielover
June 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
I also know that PETA are against dog shows. They have let many animals out of their crates at the shows. They think it is cruel and inhumane to crate an animal. I do not support these people one bit. The only good thing about them is that they hate puppymills and petstores.

Schwinn
June 26th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Ingrid Newkirk has also stated on many occasions that she is against pet ownerships, and looks forward to the day all pets are "liberated" from humanes. She's the nut-bag who started PETA. There's also the second person in charge (her name escapes me now) who is using insulin made from animal by-products. PETA has stated on many occasions that they are against that, but she said she isn't a hypocrite since she is keeping herself alive to fight for the animals. Yeeeaaa....

LavenderRott
June 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Schwinn, she doesn't really want pets to be liberated from ownership though. She wants them eliminated from the face of the earth. She wants every single domesticate animal speutered, meaning no more to be born ever.

Angeleyes1437
June 26th, 2005, 07:57 PM
"I HATE PETA! I used to support them, then I found out they feel all "Pit Bull" breeds should be destroyed until they are extinct... I'm mean... seriously... need I say more? It's basically all because Ingrid was bit on the leg by one... I was bit three times by different GSD's in my life and I would adopt one once I get a bigger house! It's not the breed... it's the idiot owners! I was so upset about my finding (which I read in the book "Dossier of a Dangerous Dog" by Vickie Hearn- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!) I wrote them a letter asking if it was true and they tried sugar coating it, so I wrote back the interpretation blunty and said.. "please correct me if I'm wrong but what I get out of your response is that your organization feels and support...." just to make is short and sweet for you all. I then ended saying "Again I ask for you to let me know if I am misinterpreting your response, but if I am not I will now resign my membership and never deal with your organization in a friendly, supportive manner." Their response to me was "We are sorry you feel that way". Which was admitting that they support this... I think I'm still in shock as this only happened about two weeks ago.

When I get home from work I will start a thread with the letters and responses I have saved. Unbelievable! "

I already posted this in another thread... here are the letters between PETA and I... sorry so long.

First I forwarded those web sites to them asking "Is this true? I would really like a response or explaination regarding this matter, thank you."

Then it began...
__________________________________________________ __
In a message dated 5/26/2005 1:33:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, info@peta.org writes:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding PETA’s position on pit bulls.

Please be assured that PETA does not believe that every pit bull should be euthanized. We advocate a ban on the breeding of pit bulls (and indeed, we should surely ban all breeding of dogs, given the tragic overpopulation crisis that results in millions of unwanted animals’ being killed every year in this country) but maintain that any ban should include a grandfather clause protecting all pit bulls living in caring homes.

Before founding PETA, Ingrid Newkirk was the chief of Animal Disease Control and the director of the animal shelter in the District of Columbia for many years. During her time there, she initiated the first-ever spay/neuter, adoption, and humane-investigation programs in our nation’s capital. She waded into dangerous situations on a daily basis in an effort to help abused and neglected dogs, risking her safety countless times in the back alleys and slums of Washington. Over and over again, she rescued pit bulls from people who beat and starved them, chained them to metal drums as "guard" dogs, or trained them to attack people and other animals. This breed stands out as the most abused in dogdom. It is the relentless abuse of these animals that motivates our efforts to stop people from bringing more pits into the world to be hurt and exploited.

Some pit bulls are loving companions. But nice families rarely come to a shelter to adopt pit bulls. Almost without exception, those who want pit bulls are attracted to the "macho" image of the breed as a living weapon and seek to play up this image by putting the animals in heavy chains, taunting them into aggression, and leaving them out in all weather extremes to "toughen" them.

Pit bulls offered for adoption to the public have a higher risk than other breeds of suffering a horrible fate. By advocating a ban on breeding this dog, PETA is trying to protect the dogs from people who would hurt them. This position would save dogs’ lives overall, not take more lives. Any good person could still adopt a dog—just not a pit bull who could be abused or bred to make more animals to abuse.

When shelters are destroying dogs by the tens of thousands, why breed pit bulls or any dogs? There are many, many wonderful dogs in shelters who need homes. PETA urges everyone who can provide a permanent, loving home to spay or neuter and adopt one of these animals.

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

PETA Staff"

-----Original Message-----
From: Angeleyes1437@aol.com [mailto:Angeleyes1437@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 2:20 PM
To: info
Subject: Re: Extremely curious

"I thank you for your response, unfortunately I disagree with you immensely and think your stand on the Pit Bull breed group (which involves Staffordshire BullTerriers, APBT's, and Staffordshire Terriers) is absolutely ancient. MOST (not some) "pit bull" owners treat their dog wonderfuly, love them and think of them as part of the family. Unfortunately, due to the dogs high game drive and strong physical attributes it has been targeted by plenty of the wrong people. Yet so have Rottweilers and many other breeds... why not ban EVERY dog?

Of course we both feel the same way regarding the breeding of dogs in general. Due to the overpopulation so many dogs are put to sleep daily. I do think pit bull breeds are the last breeds that should be bred right now along with labs and other popular breeds based soley on overpopulation. However, putting a ban on these dogs to let them die out is absolutely absurd! They are wonderful dogs, and just like any dog with the proper upbringing are gentle, loving, and in no way what the media negatively portrays.

I do feel that pure breed breeders, breeding for the bettering of the breed with AKC or UKC registering is extremely important to keep our pure breeds alive. However, there should be a ban on the general public breeding at all! Every pet quality dog should be spayed or neutered!

Additionally, you use the term "Pit Bull" what breeds are you including when you use this term? All pit bull breeds?

I write to you right now completely disillusioned. Agreeing with your organization on so many issues I cannot believe the one issue we disagree on is a breed held so close to my heart. After my family lost our mini poodle of 17 years last year, I went and got Maximus our American Pit Bull Terrier. Without him I truly don't know where I would be right now. He is smart, loving, gentle and a bundle of joy. I agree something needs to be done to change the breeds stereotype and protect them from the extremely cruel people in the world, especially in this country. However, I cannot imagine how anyone could consider destroying such a wonderful breed... the breed that fought for our country and the breed that other countries think of when they think of the American dog.

I strongly ask you for a response to mine. I hope this isn't necessary but unfortunately if I do not receive one I will ask now to resign as a PETA member and I guarantee that I will not be the last one you hear this from.

I thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Very truly yours,
Christina M. Harvey"
In a message dated 6/10/2005 8:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, ShellyB@peta.org writes:

"Thanks for your reply.

It seems that there is some confusion; again, we advocate a ban on the breeding of pit bulls (and indeed, we should surely ban all breeding of dogs, given the tragic overpopulation crisis that results in millions of unwanted animals’ being killed every year in this country). We also support shelters that choose not to adopt out Pit Bulls. We DO NOT support bans that entails confiscating well-loved and cared for Pit Bulls.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Shelly Breitbeil
Manager, Member Mail Division
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals"
Date: 6/10/2005 8:08:36 PM Eastern Standard Time
Reply To:
To: ShellyB@peta.org

"In a nutshell you promote the eventual extinction of the American Pit Bull Terrier and other breeds that fit under the "Pit Bull" standard. If not please correct me... but that is what the original response I received from your organization stated.

Unfortunately I feel that from the response I received I am already done with your organization.

Thank you,

Christina M. Harvey"

The response I got (which I can't find on my old emails) was "We are sorry that you no longer want to be part of our organization"

So I'm sure you can all see that I no longer deal with PETA... they are a bunch of wackos! :mad:

Angeleyes1437
June 26th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Schwinn, she doesn't really want pets to be liberated from ownership though. She wants them eliminated from the face of the earth. She wants every single domesticate animal speutered, meaning no more to be born ever.

That is EXACTLY what she wants!! I can't believe this organization... they are unreal. We should start an organization against them! They are the unethical ones!

Akeeter
June 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Not just PETA. One Cdn. A.R. group decided that there is no reason for any dog to weigh more than 40 lbs. (Alan Rock, Federal Liberal :evil: also has stated that.) There is also no reason for MP's, MPP's to get a tax break on cloths & haircuts, but it happens.. ;)

The same group also believes that since Pitty, Staffy, Rottis, etc. -large breed dominant breed dogs are 'the most abused', the solution would be to make them extinct. :crazy:

Frequently the bulk of their web chat is anti- Pit Bull, Rotti, etc....

Didn't George Orwell write in "Animal Farm" that 'All animals are created equal, it's just that some are more equal than others'. This was how one ruling group of animals justified their poor treatment of other kinds of animals...I wonder if you called these animal rights (?) groups Orwellian to their face, if they could understand why you did??

(I'm still trying to get over PETA's idea that pet ownership = slavery.) :confused: Peta is also in the news in conjuction with animals that one of their groups had claimed from a U.S. animal shelter were found dead in a supermarket dumpster. Ther 'group' had used their own methods to PTS the animals in their van & dumped the dead dogs & cats. This doesn't sound like these animals, some healthy kittens & puppies got much in the way of Rights from PETA! :mad:

Schwinn
June 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Wipe out pitbulls, no pitbull abuse. Ergo, to stop child abuse...

Angeleyes1437
June 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I know! Lets sterilize everyone and wipe out all life on this planet as we know it!! Just to prevent hardship. It's absurd!

Akeeter
June 28th, 2005, 11:19 PM
"I also think some of the people on this thread are miunderstanding the companion animal campaign, they are not trying to erradicate dogs or cats. they are trying to get people to be better animal companions by not chaining their dogs outside for their whole life, not giving an animal away for free because people who sell abandoned animals to test labs will 'adopt' them... "

O.K. but why do they talk out of both sides of their mouths? One minute they are using a rescued, formerly chained dog as a Fund-raiser/Poster Dog for their own efforts, & the next minute they are damning the whole of that same breed (as the chained dog) to extinction?? If all dogs belonging to breeds A, B. & C are "Bad, Unpredictable", etc. according to the PETA & some Animal Welfare nutz, then why parade the dogs from these same breeds, that :D THEY :D happen to rescue as victims? Are these dogs both victims & villians? Are they saying that they (PETA/A.W. groups) always pick the 'Right Ones' to rescue :confused: , ...& the rest are loaded guns, & the usual crap definitions of certain breeds?

Some of these A.W. groups do some very strange things in their rescue placements. All Legitimate large breed Rescues will Not place their dogs in homes with small children for many reasons. (Not the least of which is the dog accidentally knocking down a small child.) But many of the A.W. groups will place one of their rescues (a formerly chained 24/7 - junk yard dog) in a home with very young children -sometimes toddlers! :eek: IMHO not only is that the height of stupidity, & extremely dangerous, it's also hypocritical. Legitimate Rescue people would not place an unsocialized, abused Toy Terrier in a home with small kids. (Nice photo ops though... :rolleyes: )

When what a group does is 365 degrees different from what it says it believes.?......Then, what are we to believe about them?

tiffers
June 29th, 2005, 01:12 AM
can someone please send me this info on Peta supporting the BSL and where they are saying they want to erradicate ALL pets. Id really like to see it for myself. :pawprint:

Schwinn
June 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
can someone please send me this info on Peta supporting the BSL and where they are saying they want to erradicate ALL pets. Id really like to see it for myself. :pawprint:

The links above will give you some info on PETA's stand. As for wanting to eradicate all pets, that's not entirely true. They want to end ownership of pets. Actually, it's a quote specifically attributed to Ingrid Newkirk, the founder of PETA. I'm not sure that is the actual stand of PETA itself.

Angeleyes1437
June 29th, 2005, 08:27 PM
it may not be as extreme as all pets... the Pit Bull stand is enough for me... they are crazy

tiffers
June 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
The links above will give you some info on PETA's stand. As for wanting to eradicate all pets, that's not entirely true. They want to end ownership of pets. Actually, it's a quote specifically attributed to Ingrid Newkirk, the founder of PETA. I'm not sure that is the actual stand of PETA itself.

I cant find the links... i did find one about an article in another persons post... Im wondering how true this is given he has no way of backing it up... not to mention if it was true he would have exposed this fact when he wrote the article. As well Im sure there would be people suein for the thefts of pets.

- -

PETA: Lies, Abuse, and Death
by Dave Gibson, Columnist

September 3, 2003

TAP EXCLUSIVE!!

First of Three Parts

Part I: PETA's Horrible Secret

We all know that PETA is quite possibly the most annoying and certainly the most arrogant of all the leftist groups currently attempting to alter our way of life. However, I doubt that outside of a few nosy people and former PETA employees anyone knows how they care for homeless pets in Hampton Roads, Virginia (their headquarters, right)...They kill them!

That's right, this warm fuzzy bastion of animal rights kills every once beloved family pet who has the misfortune of being carried through PETA's doors. People take animals to PETA instead of local shelters because they believe that they will be place into a home and will not be put down. Unlike local animal shelters, PETA doesn't even bother trying to find homes for these pets. All of them are killed within a few hours. In fact, PETA has gone through several area vets, after they refused to euthanize healthy animals. Finally PETA constructed their own facilities for this practice.

A former PETA employee spoke of one particular incident that burned into her mind forever: A teary-eyed man showed up at PETA headquarters one day with his beloved pet rabbit. The man had grown old and sick and was no longer able to care properly for his friend. He supplied a cage, bed, toys, and even vet records for this pet. He was assured by PETA workers that they would take "good care" of his rabbit and find him a home. The man left distraught but no doubt believing that his friend would be able to live out the rest of his life in a loving, compassionate home...PETA workers carried him to the 'death house' immediately and ended his life!

PETA doesn't stop with animals who are dropped off at their facility. No, they actively seek out animals throughout the community to kill. PETA sets traps to catch roaming animals all over Hampton Roads. These traps are designed to catch cats, many of these are not just strays but people's pets. They have even ventured onto a local federal installation, where they captured dozens of cats and immediately killed them. The cats at this particular facility were living in a 'feral cat colony'. They were well fed, spayed and neutered, and received regular veterinary care at the expense of the government workers. PETA in their renowned arrogance decided that they knew better and illegally entered the installation several times, stole these people's cats and ended their lives.

PETA employees and volunteers regularly enter private properties to capture animals, which according to former PETA employees are often times people's pets- someone's cat out for a midnight stroll or even just sitting in their owner's yard! Car loads of cats are regularly brought to PETA headquarters by employees and volunteers whose job it is to 'round them up'. One such volunteer has brought in hundreds of cats, many wearing tags bearing the name and address of their owner. The animals are loaded into a small storage shed, where they sometimes sit for several hours in the heat and cold...awaiting their date with the executioner.

We have all seen the outrageous costumes worn by PETA wackos. As an example of just how callous and truly bizarre these people truly are, two of the employees who perform the euthanizations came to a PETA function dressed as syringes! PETA's co-founder (Alex Pacheco) left the group over its absurd policy of feline genocide. PETA's mission statement, written by that group's leader Ingrid Newkirk states "We believe that animals have an intrinsic worth of their own". So Ms. Newkirk...Did you forget your mission?

In researching this article, I spoke to former PETA employees as well as people whose pets have been stolen by PETA (which were undoubtedly killed). Everyone of these people were willing to talk to me but insisted I not divulge their names or even the cities in which they now reside! When I asked one of these people why she was so afraid of retribution from PETA, I was told..."They will take it out on my animals".

Ingrid Newkirk is not only hypocritical but incredibly cruel. Euthanasia is something which is at times necessary, I know this all too well as I have had to make this heart-breaking decision. It is something that is done as a last resort, not a first response. It is a decision which must be made out of love and compassion, with a great deal of soul-searching. It is not something to be committed out of haste and blind loyalty to some feminazi. It is done to end suffering or when all efforts to find one a home has failed. It must never be done to animals that don't belong to you!

© 2003 Dave Gibson

funny how some people on here are comparing peta to terrorists...whos next green peace? world wildlife fund? :thumbs up

LavenderRott
June 29th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I have read 99% of the information in the above article in other places so I doubt the auther made it all up.

You are an adult. Go do a couple of searches online and read everything you can get your hands on and make an INFORMED decision based on your morals and beliefs.

Personally, I don't like anything that PETA stands for and I will not give them a dime of my money. I would love to see them lose their tax exempt status and see them prosecuted for their terrorist activities along with the people they support that are involved in the same.

As far as sueing them for stealing a pet, first off, I don't think that I could earn enough money in my lifetime to outlawyer them and I would hate to have to look over my back for the rest of my life.

Angeleyes1437
June 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
I agree with you LavenderRott... I feel the same way. I also know how they target and attack people, so looking over your back to be terrorized is a horrible feeling. Especially when you fear for your own pets life.

Anyone doubting this after we post letters/articles just has to search for information on their own. I would love to know what you come up with on a positive note other than their own website or affiliates websites.

Schwinn
June 30th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I was thinking of sending them a picture of my pitbull eating Iams out of a KFC bucket... :D

Angeleyes1437
June 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM
LOL! LOL!!! LOL!!!! That is hysterical... that would be so funny to see the look on their faces when they open that one up!

Akeeter
June 30th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I'm sure this does not reflect the mentality of the average PETA member but, it sure doesn't look good for PETA or the shelter involved.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Two on PETA staff charged with cruelty to animals

By DARREN FREEMAN AND SETH SEYMOUR, The Virginian-Pilot
© June 17, 2005

Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals were arrested on animal cruelty
charges in Ahoskie, N.C., after investigators saw dead dogs being thrown into a grocery store
garbage container Wednesday, according to the Ahoskie Police Department.

Ahoskie police conducting surveillance as part of a monthlong investigation reported finding 18
dead dogs in the container and 13 animal carcasses in a van registered to PETA and seized by
authorities.

The cats and dogs were taken Wednesday from animal shelters in Northampton and Bertie counties,
police said. Animals had been collected every Wednesday for four weeks, and carcasses had been
found dumped in Ahoskie every Wednesday for about a month, Ahoskie Police Chief Troy Fitzhugh
said.

Two veterinarians said they were told that PETA would try to find homes for animals taken from
their practices.

Adria J. Hinkle, 27, of the 1600 block of Claremont Ave. in Norfolk and Andrew B. Cook, 24, of
the 500 block of Tree Top Drive in Virginia Beach were arrested on 31 felony counts of animal
cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals.

Both posted $35,500 bail on Wednesday and have a first court date set for today in Winton.

PETA is investigating the incident. The organization has suspended Hinkle, who has worked for
more than two years as one of its community animal project employees in North Carolina.

Cook, who was hired only weeks ago as her assistant, has not been suspended.

“We are appalled if this actually happened,” PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said. “We would
absolutely never condone this behavior.”

Newkirk said of Hinkle: “She’s the Mother Teresa of animals. She’s a very kind, decent person.”

PETA says it routinely picks up animals at pounds to have them adopted or, if necessary,
euthanized.

Shelter officials knew some of the animals, which are not always “cute, cuddly, housebroken or
small,” would need to be put down, Newkirk said.

Among the dead animals, though, authorities found a female cat and her two “very adoptable”
kittens taken from Ahoskie Animal Hospital, veterinarian Patrick Proctor said.

“These were just kittens we were trying to find homes for,” Proctor said. “PETA said they would
do that, but these cats never made it out of the county.”

When Proctor evaluated one dead dog for police, he discovered a healthy, 6-month-old mutt with a
needle mark on its front right leg, he said.

He also identified what he called a “death kit” that police found in the van. It was filled with
syringes and two drugs that only licensed veterinarians can have, he said.

“PETA will never pick up another animal from my practice,” Proctor said.

PETA had taken 50 animals to be adopted from Proctor’s practice over the past two years, he
said. PETA has also taken animals from veterinarian James Brown in Northampton County for about
a year, Brown said.

“When they started taking them, they said they would try to find homes for them,” Brown said.
“Nobody ever checked on them” after the animals were taken.

When PETA employees took animals from Brown’s practice in the past, they would tranquilize them
and take them away in vans, said Karen Cole, the animal cruelty investigator for the Northampton
Sheriff’s Office.

Some animals were very sick or injured and otherwise would have been euthanized in Brown’s
clinic, she said.

“Some animals have to be euthanized,” she said. “But the way this crowd did it is sick.”

13 News contributed to this report.

Reach Darren Freeman at (252) 338-0150 darren.freeman@pilotonline.com.

Reach Seth Seymour at (757) 446-2947 seth.seymour@pilotonline.com.
__________________________________________________ ________

Schwinn
July 1st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Rumour has it that this has been going on all over the place. I say rumour, because PETA denies it, but I have read several reports on the net about this.

tiffers
July 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
This is nuts!!! why wont officials just investigate the whole organization then if these allegations are true??? they cant make police or goverment officails "watch their backs".... GRRR Im starting to get annoyed with this... I emailed a friend who works for Peta and I got the same email a person below got... then i emailed back because he didnt answer my question thats what i got.... hmmmm .... :yuck:

PETA is not against euthanisia for animals that are suffering and that are without homes. Ideally we would like to live in a world without euthanasia, but until people spay and neuter their companion animals, and stop purchasing from breeders, we won't see that world. Take care!

- peta2

---------------- Original Message ------------------

Date: Jul 1, 10:03AM

thanks for sending me the 'general' email... you didnt answer my question.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Jul 1, 2005 6:39 AM

PETA does not believe that every pit bull should be euthanized; we advocate a ban on the breeding of pit bulls (and indeed, we should surely ban all breeding of dogs, given the tragic overpopulation crisis that results in millions of unwanted animals’ being killed every year in this country).

Before founding PETA, Ingrid Newkirk was the chief of Animal Disease Control and the director of the animal shelter in the District of Columbia for many years. During her time there, she initiated the first-ever spay/neuter, adoption, and humane-investigation programs in our nation’s capital. She waded into dangerous situations on a daily basis in an effort to help abused and neglected dogs, risking her safety countless times in the back alleys and slums of Washington. Over and over again, she rescued pit bulls from people who beat and starved them, chained them to metal drums as “guard” dogs, or trained them to attack people and other animals. This breed stands out as the most abused in dogdom. It is the relentless abuse of these animals that motivates our efforts to stop people from bringing more pits into the world to be hurt and exploited.

Are some pit bulls loving companions? Absolutely, as you may know firsthand. But nice families rarely come to a shelter to adopt pit bulls. Almost without exception, those who want pit bulls are attracted to the “macho” image of the breed as a living weapon and seek to play up this image by putting the animals in heavy chains, taunting them into aggression, and leaving them out in all weather extremes to “toughen” them.

Pit bulls offered for adoption to the public have a higher risk than other breeds of suffering a horrible fate. By advocating a ban on breeding this dog, PETA is trying to protect the dogs from people who would hurt them. This position would save dogs’ lives overall, not take more lives. Any good person could still adopt a dog—just not a pit bull who could be abused or bred to make more animals to abuse.

When shelters are destroying dogs by the tens of thousands, why breed pit bulls or any dogs? There are many, many wonderful dogs in shelters who need homes. PETA urges everyone who can provide a permanent, loving home to spay or neuter and adopt one of these animals. To learn more about helping homeless companion animals, please visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com.

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope this information is helpful.

- peta2

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Jun 22, 2005 6:53 PM

Hey I have a question... I was talking to one of my coworkers last nite about the Iams campaign and Peta in general and she told me that she read some Peta documents about the pit bull ban in ontario, Canada and how Peta is supporting this... also she told me about how Peta is 'very big on euthenasia of animals'... i am asking because i have not seen or heard anything about this until last nite. Is this true?

thanks
TIffany

Schwinn
July 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Sorry, Tiffany, I can't find it right now (okay, I'm lazy, at work, and don't have time :p ), but I do know I have read PETA's official stand on BSL, and they are in support of it. Do a google for PETA lies, and you'll find lots of interesting articles.

babyrocky1
September 16th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Heres one of the conversations regardng PETA and there support for BSL amongst onther nasty things.

LavenderRott
September 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
I got this link in an e-mail and it is rather, shall we say, interesting. Obviously, Penn and Teller are not big PETA fans.

The video is long and if you are easily offended by ummm, colorful language, DO NOT open the link.

The truth about PETA. (http://media.putfile.com/petaBS)