Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lest we forget, rememberance day

melanie
November 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
today is rememberance day in australia, at 11am on the 11th of noov we have 1 minute silence to remember the sacrifices and triumph of the fallen and those that remain and especially the fallen at galipolli.

we must never forget what they did, we must learn from their lessons, we must end all war in this world, these men and woman did not die for nothing, we must learn for the past and move onto tomorrow.
i thank them all for defending australia and their way of life, i thank them all for their selfless sacrifice and the stoicness of their charater that saw them through. with tears in my eyes and a pain in my heart i leave you with this exerpt from a poem that is very important to australia and our memory of our ppl-

THEY SHALL GROW NOT OLD, AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD,

AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM, NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN.

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING,

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM, LEST WE FORGET. (from- for the fallen, laurance biinyon)

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 04:37 PM
My Step-Grandfather (on my dad's side) was a Vet. My dad did a stint in the Navy. I did a stint in the Navy Reserve, albeit a VERY short one.

In my heart, I salute them each day. Not a day goes by that I don't think of the Armed Forces and what they do, and could do with the proper equipment, for us.

I agree with the talk being scuttled about....it should become a National Holiday.

mastifflover
November 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I agree it should be a national holiday how many thousand risked and gave their lives without a thought to themselves. These vets deserve the honor and respect of their country

melanie
November 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM
sadly most of our vets are gone, and the vietnam vets are diapearing fast (australias treatment of them has been disgusting and horrific, they have been treated like dogs).

ny husbands granfather is 90yo, he was shot down by the nazis during ww2 and was a prisioner of war for many years, eventually escaping (after many attempts, bombing occured and he ran for it) and finding some british troops who saved him. when he recounts events it makes me ill, to think that someone was faced with that and just got on with the job.

he is still living and going strong, he is in a home now as he got schrapnel in his leg duirng the war and his wife cant do it anymore. i often think the hardship made them really tough, and that is why so many live to old age, nothing can beat em, they faced the worst.

they truly amaze me

LEST WE FORGET

Schwinn
November 10th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Definitely should be a holiday. I was thinking today on my way into work, the whining I do about missing out on things in my late teens/early twenties because I couldn't afford it, or I missed opportunities, or even now because I'm paying off student loans...the veterans were fighting a war, shooting people and being shot at, being injured, scarred for life mentally and physically at the age I was busy trying to drink my weight in beer and profess my love to the current "one and only" who I now remember affectionately as "what's-her-name". Sorry, don't mean to sound crass, just trying to illustrate how petty my regrets and "sorrows" are in comparison.

I respect every veteran of every war, of every side, whether I agree with the war or not. Please tell them I said "thank you".

lil_kirk
November 10th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I whole heartedly disagree that November 11 should be a holiday. The Royal Canadian Legion---who is responsible for representing the largest group of veterans in the country--even agrees that this should not be done.

This is why:

Just because it is a stat holiday does not mean that more people will participate in the memorial festivities. Right now, children go to school, have memorial celebrations and learn the meaning of November 11 through education. If we remove this as a day for school a lot of children will sit at home and play their video games....sure, some parents who have the day off will take them---but a greater majority will attend ceremonies if they are at school.

As adults, we have already learned through education for MANY years the value of this day. Though we do not all have the day off, we do remember---and can remember personally while at work. We can also try to initiate something at work to commemorate these brave men and women.

Additionally, even if it is a stat holiday not everyone gets the day off. Fast food workers, drug stores, convenience stores, police offiers, hospital workers--i could go on and on--they still have to work.

Ultimately it's about education. If we remove it as a school day the future leaders of tomorrow may never get the full appreciation of what November 11 truly means.

Again...only my two cents---and perhaps that of the RCL.

Writing4Fun
November 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
That's a good point, lil_kirk. I'm just getting annoyed with today's businesses. Not too long ago, our company would send out an e-mail asking all employees to stop what they're doing, put their phones on call-forward for two minutes and pay tribute. No one does that anymore, because they don't want to interrupt productivity. I think it's a travesty. Really - how much will your business be affected if everyone stops for two minutes? If we forget what these people gave up for us, then history will surely come back to remind us. :(

lil_kirk
November 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure if all malls and stores are doing this--but Chapters is closed until 12:30 tomorrow. This gives their staff a chance to attend ceremonies--and earns the store a little respect.

Schwinn
November 10th, 2004, 06:28 PM
When I was a kid, it was a holiday, but we still had an assembly to commemorate the day. It was pretty much exactly the same as when I was in high-school when they stopped making it a stat-holiday. You still had the education, but there was also an amount of reverance because you understood the importance of the day by making it a holiday.

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I agree a holiday is not neccesary they will just commercialize it. Veterans I have talked to agree with lil_kirk.

I respect and give many heartfelt thanks to those that gave their lives to the war for our freedom :love:

Writing4Fun
November 11th, 2004, 11:11 AM
In honour of Rememberance Day:
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

onecatandonedog
November 11th, 2004, 12:57 PM
in schools they do the poem in flanders fields which says "take up our quarrel with the foe" in reference to the first world war. World war one was a war fought by brutal imperialist governments, none of which was in the right. it cost the lives of common people and in England and Canada's case the wealthy officers who often gained their rank by buying it wasted lives through their incompetence. i think that they should emphasize that war is wrong and should discourage the blind and dangerous nationalism that they promote.

Also remember that after the first world war not all the Canadians went home. thousands were sent to russia to fight against the people of the newly formed Soviet Union. imagine a Canadian in russia fighting for the tsarist imperialists who killed thousands of his own people when they begged for bread and he is fighting against people who chose their government and he would be asking "why am i here? what am i doing?"

i know that alot of people would find this upsetting, but i respect the idea of rememberance day. but i think that it should also be about peace.

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
in schools they do the poem in flanders fields which says "take up our quarrel with the foe" in reference to the first world war. World war one was a war fought by brutal imperialist governments, none of which was in the right. it cost the lives of common people and in England and Canada's case the wealthy officers who often gained their rank by buying it wasted lives through their incompetence. i think that they should emphasize that war is wrong and should discourage the blind and dangerous nationalism that they promote.

Also remember that after the first world war not all the Canadians went home. thousands were sent to russia to fight against the people of the newly formed Soviet Union. imagine a Canadian in russia fighting for the tsarist imperialists who killed thousands of his own people when they begged for bread and he is fighting against people who chose their government and he would be asking "why am i here? what am i doing?"

i know that alot of people would find this upsetting, but i respect the idea of rememberance day. but i think that it should also be about peace.

You just make stuff up as you go along, don't you?

Stewart
November 12th, 2004, 04:27 AM
[QUOTE=onecatandonedog] it cost the lives of common people and in England and Canada's case the wealthy officers who often gained their rank by buying it wasted lives through their incompetence. i think that they should emphasize that war is wrong and should discourage the blind and dangerous nationalism that they promote.

I think you missed the point of the rememberance day cerimomies a little.While you are correct on a few cases during WW1 of some incompetences by some young officers,But sadly no war is not always wrong,There are times when we must fight and its not blind nationalism as you say.Todays fighting men and women are highly trained professionals,As a father of a serving Royal Marine commando I can tell you that I have met a few of these and they are very compassionate and careing people and when they do the difficult job they are paid to do it is with great skill and commitment to do it right.As for the two world wars that cost us all so many lives,Lessons were learnt and that is why todays fighting forces are as they are.Its the politicians who make wars and its them to blame for the rights and wrongs of any fighting and you do it by casting your vote.But yes we should never ever forget the sacrifices made by our armed forces and here in England we do it very year and nearly everything stops at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11month.We buy poppies which are sold to raise monies for the various charities who help maintain the grave sites and also help our wounded or injured service men and women.No its not a bank holiday and I to think that the spirit of the day would be lost if it was because life carries on and some would just laze and party,The fact that we stop for two minutes silence works fine.

onecatandonedog
November 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
i tried following you there but i gave up at this incomprehensible line

"No its not a bank holiday and I to think that the spirit of the day would be lost if it was because life carries on and some would just laze and party"

maybe instead of writing 10 lines of poorly written nothingness you write 1 sentence of something.

Stewart
November 14th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Just to clarify ;) Here in the UK we do not have a bank holiday for rememberance day. I feel that when governments allow bank holidays some folk just use these days to take things easy laze around or party and thats fine if its thier choise how to spend a day, But as for Remememberance day this would be wrong.Simply haveing a two minutes silence makes people stop and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.Simple but effective !

badger
November 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I agree with you stewart. Here in Canada, there has been talk of making Nov.11 a national holiday in order to give it greater prominence. It is completely counter-intuitive, as you pointed out. At least the shoppers are honest! We are already pretty observant - it is all over the media and in the schools; the TV broadcasts the ceremonies from Ottawa. I think they should just leave it alone.
I was listening to the cenotaph service in London on the BBC this morning, very moving, beautiful singing. When it comes to doing dignified, heartfelt ceremony, the Brits do it best. One could argue with the context - a bit too triumphant, even imperialist, in its flavour - but not the substance.
Where is your son serving?

melanie
November 14th, 2004, 03:44 PM
oh for christ sake, that is the direction i did not want this thread to turn into(this is not for stuart or badger), it is not about opinions, it is not about being angry, it is not about you or me, it was about remembering other humans, just like you and me. so sad :( :( :( :( :sick: i wish i oculd close this thread

Sneaky2006
November 14th, 2004, 05:15 PM
This thread is about rememberance, it was written for that purpose only!
Why would you argue about it??? :(

Schwinn
November 15th, 2004, 09:48 AM
i tried following you there but i gave up at this incomprehensible line

"No its not a bank holiday and I to think that the spirit of the day would be lost if it was because life carries on and some would just laze and party"

maybe instead of writing 10 lines of poorly written nothingness you write 1 sentence of something.

Hello Pot, let me introduce you to kettle...

Schwinn
November 15th, 2004, 10:00 AM
oh for christ sake, that is the direction i did not want this thread to turn into(this is not for stuart or badger), it is not about opinions, it is not about being angry, it is not about you or me, it was about remembering other humans, just like you and me. so sad :( :( :( :( :sick: i wish i oculd close this thread

Sorry. Should have read the whole thread first... :(

onecatandonedog
November 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM
what are you trying to say schwinn?

that line is from some other person and it doesnt make any sense and is full of spelling and grammar errors. and you write something about the pot calling the kettle black. yeah youre really cool.