Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A peeing question

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Cano is a nine month male. He still squats like a female. All the other male dogs, his age, around here, lift their leg. My question is, do some male dogs always squat? I know it is a silly question. We just find it odd that he still pees like a girl.

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I read that it depends on the dog and the breed. I know a 1 year old poodle who still squats.
He's probably still too young. He'll be lifting his leg in no time and then you'll be sorry!!! :D :eek:

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 11:53 AM
My husband thinks it is funny that he still squats. I could care less how he does his business, just think it is weird is all. No matter how he ends up going in the future, he will still be my little baby!

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM
LOL!
I guess it can be akinned to a teen human peeing while sitting down!!!! :D :D

Cinnabear
November 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM
My dog is 2 1/2 and he still squats sometimes, especially if there is no standing object. :D

mastifflover
November 10th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Buddy used to lift his leg but since he was neutered he does bother most of the time he does the standing stretch

sujean
November 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM
tyson is almost 8 now and he still squats when he pees...*shrug* he likes it that way and as long there is minimal peeing on the leg we are ok with it.

one time he tried to pick his leg up and almost fell over-it was hilarious!! :D

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM
James says he's a little b**ch. But if that is the case, he's my little b**ch. :)

Luvmypit
November 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
My dog squats too. My boyfriend is the only one worried. I think its a guy thing. Capone will be two in january. He has lifted his leg but the majority of the time he squats. I wouldn't worry, probably a personal preference or I guess sometimes if they haven't seen another dog do it how would they know there doing it wrong?

Shelby
November 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM
My friend has 2 year old female Alaskan Malamute and she lifts her leg when she pees!

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Shelby,
Now that is one I have never seen!

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM
My Buddy...(mastifflover....I didn't realize you had a buddy to :p ) Is just over a year and he still squats....I think it has alot to do with "Monkey see Monkee do".
So Bud is at a disadvantage there as he watches Ursa pee :rolleyes: He has learned well from her in his eyes I guess ;)

And yes I think it is a macho thing as my hubby also comments on it :D

Copper'sMom
November 11th, 2004, 08:44 AM
I asked my vet the same question when Copper was 6 months old. She said he should be lifting his leg any time now. Well he didn't start until he was over a year! I often wondered if it was because he was raised with a female dog. He is now 3 and a half years old and most of the time prefers to squat!! The only place he would lift his leg is at my Mom's house!! We lived there for the first year of his life so now I think he marks his territory every time we go there(on her flower gardens of course!!)

And yes....My moms dog (female) lifts her leg occasionally too!!

glasslass
November 12th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Den-Den3 was 2yo when he learned by watching my pop's border collie. Definitely monkey see, monkey do! Den-Den4 was 4yo before he learned. He seldom marks, only when he's walking with Corky and that little guy learned really quick! Den-Den's 6yo now and he prefers to squat to do his business. However he raises :D his back leg in the air as he squats down on the other!

sujean
November 12th, 2004, 11:48 PM
i also wonder if sometimes a male dog will squat b/c maybe his previous pee spot was very confined -tyson still squats at 8 and we think that his former owners confined him a small place (like a carrier) where he went to the bathroom. i tried asking him why he does that and he claims the 5th!

the funniest was when my husband (who seems to be much more bothered about this behavior that i am) tried to teach him to life his leg while peeing. in the process dog was all confused looking at my husband as if to say "what in the hell are you doing??" and then my husband getting peed on :D talk about needing a video camera righ then and there!

sue fox
November 13th, 2004, 06:59 PM
sujean :crazy: That is hilarious!! Scottie still squats and he's 5.6mos. Probably whatever they're comfortable with. :D