Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog's tail never wags

kf225
November 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I have a 2 year old Papillon and he does not wag his tail, ever. Is this wierd? I assume he is happy, we play and go for walks etc. but the tail does not wag, I can't find anything on this on the internet. I did read that a dog's tail is a form of communication. Any ideas?

Cinnabear
November 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Does his tail standup and curl? Yes I read their tails are a form of communication. I wonder if he had a broken tail before and it never healed properly or maybe he has paralysis in his tail?

kf225
November 10th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yes, his tail is up and to the side. It has never been broken and I did see it wag just a fraction the other day when a friend came over he hasn't seen in a long time. I got a puppy 8 months ago and I wonder if that is when it stopped wagging. They get along okay, but he was always the center of attention and now he has to share, maybe he is unhappy after all?

Cinnabear
November 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Did his tail wag before you got another pup?

heidiho
November 10th, 2004, 02:22 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Writing4Fun
November 10th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Are you sure he's never been injured? I've never heard of a dog not wagging its tail. Does the rest of his bum wiggle when he's happy? Does he show other signs of happiness (like ear position, excited prancing, etc...)? You might want to bring him to the vet to make sure there isn't an improperly healed injury there (this might have happened while he was still a wee pup, with his littermates).

kf225
November 15th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I don't see a bum waggle either. He lets me hold his tail and I wag it for him back and forth, he doesn't seem to mind at all, except probably thinks I am strange doing this!! We tried to recall if he wagged his tail before the new pup, but we just can't remember. I know he wagged his tail as a puppy, because with my new puppy wagging her tail all the time I thought, just like Riley, and then realized, but wait, he wasn't wagging anymore. That's when this all came about. Maybe the vet can shed some light. Maybe he is just very mad about the new pup?