Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Took my pit bull to the vet today...

Loki
November 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM
My dog had surgery earlier in the year to remove a couple benign Mast Cell tumours. Surgery for mast cell is pretty aggresive, so my dog has some large ( ~ 6cm +) sutures. You can imagine what it is like to walk a pit bull with a bunch of scars, in the environment that Bryant has created.

I had an appointment for a check-up today. When I arrived, the waiting room was empty, except for one woman. She went out of her way to sit beside me and pat my dog. Two more people approached me. One of them said "Hey tough-guy," then laughed and said "these dogs are just sweethearts." Every single employee went out of their way to pat my dog and make supportive comments.

The waiting room had filled up while I was in with the vet. As I was paying the bill, a tiny toy dog ran up to my dog. They did the usual 'sniffing' trip. The toy dog suddenly snaps at my pit bull, and begins to bark and growl. Of course, everyone is glaring at my "ticking-time-bomb" to see how he will react. My pit bull did a 'play bow' and then sat, the toy just kept on barking. A woman shook her head and said " You see, it's them little ones you gotta watch."
A bunch of people in the waiting room, started to chuckle.

I left there feeling a bit better about Toronto. That is definitely not the usual treatment my dog gets at the vet ( the vet and staff are always amazing, but customers can kinda suck). I just wanted to pass this on, and let the people ( that are fighting this ban so hard) know that they ARE reaching people. :thumbs up

mastifflover
November 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Oh how nice a good story for a change. I am glad for you and your dog so did your killer lick anyone to death?

Schwinn
November 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM
That's a good story. I think that there are actually more people against than for this thing, and I find most people who are fans of non-toy breeds are usually sympathetic. I was at our vet (where they absolutely LOVE Daisy!) once, and there was a large German shepard cross on the other side of the room. I had my back to it, and I was petting Daisy. The whole time we walked in, she had her tail between her legs when she saw the big dog. She didn't make a peep, until apparently the big dog lunged and growled while my back was turned, suddenly Daisy went all nutty. Right away, I put on my firm voice and told her to "Chill" (that's her "relax" word). I was amazed at everyone who started telling me that the other dog had gone into an aggressive stance first.

It's good to know that we aren't completely alone and have to defend our best friends to everyone who doesn't know them.

Luvmypit
November 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks Loki. Great story and very comforting. one thing I noticed people either go out of there way to show their support or out of there way to show their oppostion. I think alot of dog owners have had the conversation at one point where they stand on this issue and most are venemently against a ban as they should be. Good for your dog being a model Pit Bull. I found that when capone got an allergic reaction to flowers last week the vet was really nice and the other guy in there in emerg was asking alot of questions about pit bulls and said he felt that all dogs can go either way. I thing Pulse24 is gonna help alot in dispelling some of these myths and making Mr. Bryant look like the _________ (insert cuss word of choice) he is.

sammiec
November 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing Loki. We've been very lucky durig our vet visits that we run into polite and friendly people each time. My Briggs absloutely LOVES her vet. She goes crazy for him!! He said that she was the first dog to be happy to see him after being fixed! LOL!!

I am so glad that people stood up for you and your pittie with that little ankle biter running around... did the owner react at all to the comment about watching out for those little dogs??

Loki
November 10th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I am so glad that people stood up for you and your pittie with that little ankle biter running around... did the owner react at all to the comment about watching out for those little dogs??

She didn't say a word, they didn't give her a chance. Before the owner could speak, the lady made the "watch out for little dogs" comment. Once people started laughing, she quietly sat down. It is a little embarassing. It feels weird having everyone staring at you, but all the "usual suspects" breed owners know that feeling all too well.
It's good to know that you guys are also having some pleasant experiences at the vet.

Schwinn
November 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM
We've had lots of good luck with vets. I think that's because they actually know about the dog, and know the bunk that's being spewed in the headlines. We live over an hour from Daisy's vet, but she loves it there so much (and they love her so much), we still go to the same one. They told us they've never seen a dog who is always so happy. That makes us feel good about taking her there, especially if we have to go away and kennel her.

We did take her to a local kennel once, and when my wife went to pick her up, they asked her what kind of dog she was. When she said pit cross, they said they had a feeling, and confirmed that if they had known ahead of time, they would have told us no. But after spending the weekend there, we were welcome to bring her back anytime because she was so friendly.

sammiec
November 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM
We did take her to a local kennel once, and when my wife went to pick her up, they asked her what kind of dog she was. When she said pit cross, they said they had a feeling, and confirmed that if they had known ahead of time, they would have told us no. But after spending the weekend there, we were welcome to bring her back anytime because she was so friendly.
I am going on vacation at the end of the month and Briggs will be staying with our vet because of that very reason. I didn't even try calling a boarding facility because I thought that either they would be very negative about her coming there, or they would keep her locked up and possibly in a muzzle - so we opted for the vet, where we know she's safe!

Akeeter
November 11th, 2004, 12:08 AM
beacuse I was discussing something with the Vet after my dog had surgery.
My dog was on leash, & in a sit. Mr. & Mrs Frightfully Important ;) wouldn't come in to the waiting room when I was talking to the Vet, & they got quite steamed about 'having to wait outside'. Well, I couldn't see them 'waiting outside'.. so how could I know they were there. :confused: And there was no reason for them to 'wait outside'. It was their choice, & the predjudices that kept them there.

I'd put my dog's behaviour up against their Golden's behaviour any day of the week, & probably win. :thumbs up

Copper'sMom
November 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Great story!! I hope your baby is feeling better soon!!

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 08:05 AM
And there was no reason for them to 'wait outside'. It was their choice, & the predjudices that kept them there.

Excellent statement! It's so very true. And the thing that bothers me is that those people with the predjudies view us as the inconsiderate, rude people for "making" them wait outside, wait for another elevator, walk around us!!!

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Last time I had someone make a rude comment was in an elevator at the apartment building I lived in a long time ago. She was all snotty, saying, "Dogs aren't allowed in the building!". I just looked at her and started to tell her I didn't know why, my dog was a hell of a lot friendlier than her crusty butt. But then her friend started petting Daisy, and it was forgotten.

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Just last night as I was waiting for the elevator, the door opened and a lady standing in there saw us and frantically started hitting the button to close the door!!! Hubby stuck his foot in the door to stop it and walked in as though nothing had happened. The lady was crawling up the wall trying to escape Briggs. Briggs, the funny wiggle butt that she is, sat there staring at the lady with her head turned to one side wondering what in the world the lady was doing!! I tried so hard to hold in my laugh!!!

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Just last night as I was waiting for the elevator, the door opened and a lay standing in there saw us and frantically started hitting the button to clse the door!!! Hubby stuck his foot in the door to stop it and walked in as though nothing had happened. The lady was crawling up the wall trying to escape Briggs. Briggs, the funny wiggle butt that she is sat there staring at the lady with her head turned to one side wondering what in the world the lady was doing!! I tried so hard to hold in my laugh!!!

Not that I would ever do this, nor would I actually want to suggest that someone should ;) , but isn't there just a part of you that is dying to look at you dog and say, "Kill!" just to watch the idiot wet themselves? We had someone panic when we wanted Daisy to calm down, and we said, "Chill!". My favourite part is when she sits and stares, and people are still freaking. "Yes, my pitbull is so vicious, instead of biting, she's going to stare you down. Or beat you with her wagging tail".

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Not that I would ever do this, nor would I actually want to suggest that someone should ;) , but isn't there just a part of you that is dying to look at you dog and say, "Kill!" just to watch the idiot wet themselves? We had someone panic when we wanted Daisy to calm down, and we said, "Chill!". My favourite part is when she sits and stares, and people are still freaking. "Yes, my pitbull is so vicious, instead of biting, she's going to stare you down. Or beat you with her wagging tail".

OMG! As bad as this is... before this legislation come in to play... my friend (who is a Christian youth pastor :eek: ) would say stuff in the elevator to us like "Have the police come to talk to you about that dog she attacked last week?" Or he would say, "How's that kid doing that Briggs bit yesterday?" I would just about die everytime! It was really mean, but oh so funny!! I didn't participate in it!! I was always the bystander when they would "play" that awful "game".

mastifflover
November 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Man you people and your pits your so mean just because the rest of the world is so ignorant you tease them. Good for you keep it up, these people need to see that the only thing your dog is going to do is either kiss them or hit them with their wiggly butts and tails. I know I try and tell people that Buddy might drown them or stand on their foot but that is about as aggressive as he gets. Being aggressive would mean exerting energy and that is not something he likes to waste.

sammiec
November 11th, 2004, 09:19 AM
You're right Mastifflover, I mean honestly.. it's just as harmless as if we had a cuddly little bichon frise, right? They have no idea!

Loki
November 11th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I hope your baby is feeling better soon!!

Thanks, Copper's mom. Yep, he's doing great. But I had to get him a sweater to cover up those scars. :)

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks, Copper's mom. Yep, he's doing great. But I had to get him a sweater to cover up those scars. :)

He's a great looking dog! But I'll tell you what I told my wife...For crying out loud, take the sweater off before he gets beaten up by the other dogs! The cat's snickering for pete's sake!
:crazy:

BMDLuver
November 11th, 2004, 07:55 PM
That sweater is just too cute for words! not to mention that he appears rather proud to be sporting it!

Schwinn
November 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Some how, like with my wife, I think I'm going to lose this one... ;)

Loki
November 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
...For crying out loud, take the sweater off before he gets beaten up by the other dogs! The cat's snickering for pete's sake!
:crazy:

:)
Yeah, yeah, I know. Honestly, I'm not a clothes on dogs kinda guy either.
But truth be told, if this law passes as it stands, I'd say I got real problems the first time a cop sees me walking my dog in public. I'd say a pit bull with a bunch of large scars may easily qualify as "menacing." I'm expecting some harassment at the very least.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. For the time being, my dog is a 'sissy-boy' ( Not that there is anything wrong with that) :)
Heck, if it keeps the Liberals from kicking in my front door, I'll dress him up in a poodle costume.

Schwinn
November 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Desperate times call for desperate measures. For the time being, my dog is a 'sissy-boy' ( Not that there is anything wrong with that) :)
Heck, if it keeps the Liberals from kicking in my front door, I'll dress him up in a poodle costume.

Now THAT would be funny! ("No, Honest officer, he is a poodle!" as I visualize him looking like a teenager in a slightly too small kids halloween costume)

Dukieboy
November 12th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Great picture. Speaking of sweaters, this is Dukes first winter, I have a sweater and a hoody for him. Others with pitties, how do they do in the winter? They have hardly any hair.

sammiec
November 12th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Briggs was a baby last winter! *sniff, sniff* She had a two fleece sweaters. She didn't kind them at all. They had a bog difference. I have been contemplating getting her another sweater for this winter... but I don't know if she'll need it since she's not a baby anymore... we'll see.

I used booties last year too because it was SOOO cold and all the ice on the sidewalks really irritated her feet. She hates the boots... I am undecided as to what I will do this year??
:confused:

Copper'sMom
November 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM
HE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Where did you get a sweater to fit him?? I usually put one of my sweaters on my boy because I can't find any in the pet stores around here to fit around his chest!!

mastifflover
November 12th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Well I think he is very hansome and he looks quite proud of it. This is a link to for sweaters for big dogs but they might work for pits because of there chest size. I have been looking for a sweater for Bud and have to laugh when they show me the size large and extra large they might fit a lab. This place has lots of them and there is another one I just found the link for
http://www.bigtallk9.com/
http://64.4.30.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=5e3114e282b53b4b9a29fcc8515ab3f5&lat=1100273294&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ejbpet%2ecom%2fshopp ing%2frouter%2easp%3fsrc%3d041012%26url%3d%2fShopp ing%2fquickorder%2easp%3factflag%3dI

Copper'sMom
November 12th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mastifflover!!! The second link is not working for me! Have you bought anything from the first site?

Schwinn
November 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Great picture. Speaking of sweaters, this is Dukes first winter, I have a sweater and a hoody for him. Others with pitties, how do they do in the winter? They have hardly any hair.

We just make sure we give Daisy a good rub-down when she comes in, and she also has a dog house outside for shelter if we ever leave her in the back yard for any length of time. I did hear somewhere where you have to be careful with thier tummies and the sun because there is so little hair. Daisy likes to lie on her back with her paws in the air, but usually outside she lies on her stomach, (or runs around like a fool with her big stick!), so we haven't been too worried.

Loki
November 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Where did you get a sweater to fit him?? I usually put one of my sweaters on my boy because I can't find any in the pet stores around here to fit around his chest!!

Actually, I had the same problem. It is one of my old sweaters, but cut shorter with elastic sewn around the side.

I know what you are thinking Schwinn; no I didn't sew it myself. :)

About pits in winter, mine has trouble with his paws mostly from the salt.
Hmm.... Maybe I can find a poodle costume with little booties. ;)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words.

Schwinn
November 12th, 2004, 06:44 PM
About pits in winter, mine has trouble with his paws mostly from the salt.
Hmm.... Maybe I can find a poodle costume with little booties. ;)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words.

All I have to say is, I hope to dear God my wife does not see this thread! Right now, Loki, she'll be looking at your posts going, "Ohhh! Poodle outfit!!". She did knit Daisy a bright pumpkin coloured coat with a pocket in the back to carry a bone (now I'm sure THAT won't drive the dog more nuts!), but for some reason, she can't find it (I think the dog hid it)

Oh, and sweater or not, I'm glad he's okay. He's a good looking guy! And if you're worried about the scars, I'm sure they'll disappear. Daisy had knee surgery, and had a NASTY one for a couple of months. I can't even find it now. The scar, not the knee. :)

Loki
November 13th, 2004, 09:26 AM
All I have to say is, I hope to dear God my wife does not see this thread! Right now, Loki, she'll be looking at your posts going, "Ohhh! Poodle outfit!!". She did knit Daisy a bright pumpkin coloured coat with a pocket in the back to carry a bone (now I'm sure THAT won't drive the dog more nuts!), but for some reason, she can't find it (I think the dog hid it)

Oh, and sweater or not, I'm glad he's okay. He's a good looking guy! And if you're worried about the scars, I'm sure they'll disappear. Daisy had knee surgery, and had a NASTY one for a couple of months. I can't even find it now. The scar, not the knee. :)

That's funny.
Thanks Schwinn. I just gotta wait for the fur to grow back in. Good to know that Daisy is all healed up.