Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there a perfect pet for an 8 year old?

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 07:34 AM
I want to know your opinion about this. I welcome ANY responses you may have.
I know all pets require some kind of care of an adult and that's ok, but I am looking for something fairly inexpensive (the upkeep) for my son. My husband and I would like something that HE can take care of by himself. Anything that requires litter of some sort, like a bunny or hamster I really don't like the idea because god only knows what he'll touch after cleaning! And I know you have to clean them often. :D
How often do you have to clean a fish tank? Or does it depend on the type of fish? Or what about turtles? Or some kind of lizard type thing? Every time we go to walmart he stares at those fish that are in the little bowls by themselves with a plant. I have no clue what they are but he seems amazed by them.
So what do you think?

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 07:38 AM
I had fish once and they are easy to keep if you are willing to spend the money for a self cleaning type aquarium....(with pump and filter) you still have to clean them but not nearly as often as a fish bowl and make sure the top is covered :eek: they are hours of great TV for kitties to :eek: Mine used to love to sit on the kitchen chair and stare at the tank.....lol dont overfeed or cleaning will be a nightmare

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks Iggette! We have a few pet supply stores around here that sell fish, usually a deal with the tank and some supplies... so if it's self cleaning, how often would you have to replace the water?

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
I used to do it once a month.....but you have to top it off for eveporated water

jackieb
November 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
We are having the same problem we will get a dog next year but the boys would like a pet i had some fish in england so im conisidering getting some more i know we have a no pet contract but they wont know we have fish.

The boys really wont a rabbit or ginea pig but they wont clean them out as they are really to small and if they did they wouldnt wash there hands properly.

I will get them a dog next year but this is a family pet so we will all be responsible for it. I think fish are easy pets we had 2 goldfish back in england and the boys could feed them etc.

lil_kirk
November 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
While fish are great---I would think that your little guy would get bored. I've yet to meet a little guy who found fish entertaining for more than five minutes...while this is just my personal opinion, perhaps more of a family pet would be suitable?? Something you can all enjoy--in the event that he becomes bored with his new pet?

I don't have any kids myself so I could be way off base here. I also don't know your son so perhaps his interest will be far greater for a fish than I am assuming.

Either way--this should be a fun experience for him! :D ..and you!

chico2
November 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Sneaky,you are talking of the Japanese fighting Fish,I hate to see them in a bowl with nothing but water,they are so beautiful...but I've been told they have to stay by themselves.
When my boys were little we had two large aqariums(Sp?)I would never again get one,lot's of work...which usually falls on mom after the newness is gone :evil:
I would get a little hamster or two,they are sweet and easy to look after,but maybe your cats would scare them to death :eek:
Lizards,need a lot of care to keep them happy and can get expensive and I don't know about turtles.
A couple of budgies are nice,but then again there are your cats....

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys!I would think that your little guy would get bored. I've yet to meet a little guy who found fish entertaining for more than five minutes... My sister has fish... when ever he goes to her house, he's glued to the tank and wants to feed them every time he's there... It may be different if he'd have some of his own, but with seeing him like that, I don't think it would happen.I would get a little hamster or two,they are sweet and easy to look after,but maybe your cats would scare them to death This new pet would be in his room, complete with a lock on his door (which I would rather NOT talk about... lol) Cats would not have access unless we're there watching. Also... don't you have to clean hamster cages quite often... I had hamsters when I was a kid, I thought they got stinky pretty quickly...?

jackieb
November 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM
i had hamster mice rats yes you do have to clean them regually and make sure if you get more than one there not different sex lol Personnaly i wouldnt fancy them in the bedroom just my opion though lol

BMDLuver
November 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM
We rescued a hamster that was in rough shape when he came to us. He lived for another two years. Their lifespan is rather short so it is not as longterm a commitment as a turtle. Turtles can outlive the lifespan of the owner which can be a problem when the child is no longer interested in it. We had lizards, anoles to be exact and unfortunately during a two day power failure we were unable to keep them warm enough and they caught colds. They are very fragile and do not tolerate a lot of handling unless you choose one of the larger groups which then has a very long lifespan as well. All this rambling probably didn't help much but to say that it's very difficult to choose a pet for a child that won't be a longterm commitment for the parents. Good luck in your research!

Dukieboy
November 10th, 2004, 08:01 AM
How about a turtle? There is more interaction than with fish.

Luvmypit
November 10th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Well a cat would be good if hes responsible enough. Cleaning litter is pretty simple and its something the whole family can enjoy. Otherwise I would say a hamster or bunny but I think there more work then a cat cleaning wise.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 08:10 AM
We were thinking about turtles as well. I don't know how much you have to clean their area? Do they live in water, or half and half? My sis in law has like 10 turtles in her basement, in this whole enclosed thingy that takes up half the basement... I haven't seen it yet though, I don't know what's all involved. And btw, we would only be getting one.. so I'm pretty sure a normal tank is ok?! :DWell a cat would be good if hes responsible enough. Cleaning litter is pretty simple and its something the whole family can enjoy. Otherwise I would say a hamster or bunny but I think there more work then a cat cleaning wise. We already have 4 cats :) :love:

lil_kirk
November 10th, 2004, 08:11 AM
What about a little hedgehog? I don't know anything about them but I've heard they are easy pets.

Chubby tailed gerbils are cute too....

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 08:14 AM
A hedgehog?? I haven't heard of that one... is that like a chinchilla or something?

I'll be checking in a bit later... please keep goin!! And thanks for all of the responses! :D :D

NO NO bad dog
November 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Please remember with Hedgehog and turtles there is a risk of samanella(sp) They MUST wash their hands after handling them

raingirl
November 10th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I would go for a pair of rats. They were the best pet I ever experienced so far. I have had hamsters and a guinea pig. They were ok. We had a bird growing up, but it was boring. My sis had an iguana...but it was evil.

Then I worked at a petting zoo one summer. It was amazing. We had 2 ducks (one was blind in one eye..the right I think, and it was so funny because he would only run around the pen in one direction so he could alwasy see out of his pen with his good eye!), 5 chickens, 3pigs, 5 bunnies, a hamster, a guinea pig, an iguana, and 2 rats.

The rats by far were the most fun. They usually don't pee or poop on you. They don't run off, you can teach them tricks, they are VERY clean, they aren't nocturnal, so they are awake during the day which is nice. They like to be in pairs, so get two. They never ever bit me, and they were so affectionate.

badger
November 10th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Every pet has its drawbacks and they all excrete. When I was a child, I had guinea pigs for years. I see you are in an area with fairly severe winters so you would probably have to move them inside for the coldest months. Unless they are kept spotlessly clean, they are a bit fragrant. But if you handle them alot, they are very cute pets.
I vote for a nice, calm, responsive older cat, which you could rescue from the local pound. An eight year old can easily handle litterbox duties, including the obligatory handwashing, and the feeding, with a bit of supervision. In return, the cat will give him hours of pleasure. Much more interactive than a fish.
And personally, I would avoid the nippy critters - mice, hamsters, gerbils - more suitable for an older child.

jackieb
November 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM
i with raingirl rats make great pets they do need cleaning reguarly our two were very friendly ours devoped tumours at 4 apparantely this is quite common so our vet said, they died not long after but they were great pets. I even got my mum into them she hated them but when we went on holiday they said they would look after them and i said you have to get them out well she did and then fell in love with them lol!!

kimbilly
November 10th, 2004, 08:53 AM
I think a Hamster is a good idea. They are pretty easy to look after and if you get it from a young age, he could really tame it and have it as his little pet. Growing up I had a hamster and part of my weekly chores (Saturday morning) was to clean the cage. Every night he would run around in his ball and get tired out :) they are kind of cute too. My hamster would snuggle under my chin while I watched TV. It does have stuff in the cage that requires cleaning, but I don't think there are any health risks.

It is great for an 8 year old as he is old enough to understand to be gentle.

I had fish too and in a way the Hamster is easier, more mess but quicker to clean.

Good luck in making the decision.

Lucky Rescue
November 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Any pet you get for an 8 year old, YOU will end up caring for it. A child won't take proper care of a pet for the life of that pet.

Turtles are difficult to keep properly. They require a lot of equipment and cleaning. They should live a very long time, but most do not in captivity because of improper care. Same goes for goldfish.

A kid may love seeing fish briefly in somone's house, but caring for his/her own 365 days a year is a different story.

Hamsters are completely nocturnal and can be nippy. Guinea pigs are nice, but are large for a child's hands to hold securely.

Rats are wonderful pets - gentle, sweet and smart. They need to handled gently too.

Budgies can be lovely, sweet and entertaining pets for children, if tamed young enough. They are fairly easy to care for and can be very good talkers! They do need a lot of time outside the cage. Or two can stay in a cage if the cage is very very large.

Just think that you are getting the pet for yourself, and your child can enjoy it. All these animals need daily cleaning, feeding and care and I wouldn't expect an 8 year old to do it diligently for the next 10+ years.

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 09:27 AM
My best bet for a pet for an 8 year old, would be something that they can interact with, and something that doesn't really bite. When I was about that age, I loved the lab rats that we had in my class, as "class pets". They always amazed me. I also liked the really small furry bunnies. And if the bunny is trained right, you can get it to use the litter box! and have it run around the house like a cat or dog. They make great pets too. If you do get a bunny, ask the seller how it's temperment is, and if it has ever bitten, or been around children before.

ShoeHorn!!
November 10th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Howdy :D

We have three children, ages 6, 7, and 10. Our 7 year old has been caring for her hamster for just about a year and she is able to do mostly everything for him on her own. She takes him out for runs in his ball, she plays with him, she feeds him, she gives him clean water, and she makes little mazes for him out of paper towel and toilet paper tubes. The only thing she doesn't do on her own is clean out his home - either me or my hubby helps her with that once a week. (Not that she can't do it.. just that we'd have a bigger mess on the floor after she was done. :p ) Her favorite thing to do is give him fruit every now and then because he runs circles around his home as soon as he smells it.

Smokey (or King Smokey! as she's decided to name him) lives in a large aquarium in her room. The strongest smell in there is on the cleaning day as it makes her room smell like shavings. He's quite gentle and loves to be pet.. but she knows when he wants to be left alone and she knows enough to leave him alone.

But, I do have to say, our 10 year olds hamster was not as friendly as Smokey. She did have serious territory issues that we had to learn in order to be 'allowed' to put our hands in there to feed her. :eek: Her hamster was with us for just over two years.

We also have pet rats.. and I have to say they are very very smart and clean critters. Their poo does smell a bit more than the hamsters, tho. It is really funny when our 6 year old tells people we have rats .. sometimes folks offer suggetions on how to clear out our pest problems. :D

Anyway, if you do go for a rodent type, make sure YOU handle the critter for a little while before you let your child decide which one to pick. Sometimes the cute one with the neat fluff of hair is the nippy one and it's best to find out before you bring it home.

Good luck!

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM
I had a turtle, and we had to put fresh water in his tank every other day, or it would start to smell. They live half and half. It was an ok pet, but not very interesting, and didn't interact with us much.

Cinnabear
November 10th, 2004, 12:25 PM
What about guinea pigs? I know hamster cages after awhile smell. Turtles are a big iffy, especially with samonella. Good luck on your quest.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Hmmm, well now I don't know what to think... first off, what is a budgie? Is that a type of lizard??
The rats do seem like they would fit in our situation, but there's one problem... ICK! My husband has been bugging me for a rat for I don't even know how long... a rat or a snake and there is no way in heck we're getting a snake! Rats are better in my eyes, but not by much... :o
So... I don't know, I am sure I could be ok with them, but it still kinda freaks me out a bit. :D :p

Before getting anything, we will have a talk with him. Tell him this will be his pet and his responsibility. Every time for cleaning it will of course have to be supervised but I do want him to do the most of it. He sort of has to, as part of a regular daily routine.

Thanks everyone! I will think about the rats.... ick!

chico2
November 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Sneaky,I got a bit of a chuckle, I thought everyone knew what a Budgie is :D
Nooooo,it's not a lizard..it's a smaller type parrot-like bird,really cute and can be very sociable.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Ohhh!! lol Thank you chico! Are they normally loud and chirpy? I know nothing about birds... no one in the family has any either, incase you couldn't tell. :rolleyes: :D

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 01:25 PM
What about a ferret. I have never seen one bite, and they are VERY affectionate. Plus, if they get loose in the house, oh well, they are very easy to find, and won't breed and cause mouse problems. My 6 year old cousin has 2 of them. They are cute creatures, but the cage needs cleaning ATLEAST every other day. And they love attention. They also love to sleep in hammock type things, that go in their cages. They are a great pet for the entire family. I am thinking about getting one myself. I just have to talk to hubby about it, and wait until after Judith is atleast 7 or 8 months.

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Budgie is the same thing as a parakeet, isn't it. If so, they do tend to be loud and chirpy. I had a pair of them, and they would never stay quiet for more than a few minutes, unless we turned on "their" classical CD. They had good taste in music, that's for sure. But we couldn't have their cd playing 24/7, and they were the worst when they were out of the cage, or when we watched a movie. But they are really pretty.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks lilith, but ferrets are illegal here... besides, they cost $300+ and I've always thought that they're stinky and need baths every week?

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah, they do smell, if the cage isn't changed atleast every other day. Ferrets cost alot, no matter where you go. I think it is because they are considered exotic pets, in most places. I think the cheapest I have seen is $450, cage not included!

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Ferrets are illegal in PA? Wow.

Yes about budgies being noisy. They love to chirp or sing, but can be rather squacky when angry or upset. It's definately not the type of bird for someone who gets headaches on a regular basis.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Not all of PA... Allentown for sure... they sell them in a town not five minutes from here but won't sell to anyone from allentown, or others that are illegal in this area.

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I wonder why that is. Has anyone ever said why? I mean they're not vicious animals or anything like that. I've toyed with the idea of a ferrit too, but never followed through....I love my aquariums too much I suppose.

Writing4Fun
November 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Personally, I think the right hamster, guinea pig or rabbit is great for a responsible, animal loving child.

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
They've never said why... but I'll call and ask!
Edited: Well I called and talked to a guy at the pet store and he said he no longer carries ferrets because he's right on the border of Allentown and Whitehall and he's not allowed to anymore.
He said that any animal that is not considered domesticated is illegal to own here, INCLUDING some cats and dogs, some kinds of lizards and birds.... he went on to say that Allentown has gotten so strict in the last few years... I had no idea!!!!

Bugsy
November 11th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Back to the fish all alone in a bowl....

This is a betta fish. Also known as a Siamese Fighting Fish (biggie for little boys). They require very little upkeep. You can get away with only cleaning the bowl every 2 weeks. Still clean. Also it's fine if he forgets to feed it for a day or 2. They live about 2-3 years not like gold fish that die after 2 days. And ...you cannot get 2, they prefer to be alone :D

Get the food called Hikari Betta Bio-Gold (Kyorin). It's little red pellets, they love it and it keeps the bowl much cleaner than the flakey stuff.

Go to Heidiho's thread... My betta fish.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9253&highlight=betta

melanie
November 11th, 2004, 12:30 AM
turtles are high maintance animals requiring correct temperature and housing, as are reptiles, they can be very fussy and require heating and other high maintance, they can also be difficult and expensive to feed depending on what is in the bush around you. not being too cheeky but how bout a tamagotchi :D (virtual pet), seemes to keep my nephew entertained but then we still end up looking after the bloody thing, if we dont it beeps all night, grrrr.

if anything fish, low maintance, do not stink, can be entertaining and educational but very low care, and if you end up caring for it you dont have to do too much.

budigies are good, but like most birds do have a variety of parasites so they cannot be kept in kitchens, bathrooms or small areas so perhaps this includes his room.

yeppers i go the fish (and of they die it is easy to sneak in another too) :D

Lucky Rescue
November 11th, 2004, 12:59 AM
no way in heck we're getting a snake! Rats are better in my eyes, but not by much...

Rats are mammals, just like guinea pigs, rabbits, cats and dogs, but are more intelligent than any of them. I always find it funny when people say "Ick" to rats yet buy their children hamsters.

Rats are much more social, better smelling, and more intelligent than hamsters. In fact, they are one of the very few small rodents who will actually seek out and enjoy the company of humans.

budigies are good, but like most birds do have a variety of parasites so they cannot be kept in kitchens, bathrooms or small areas so perhaps this includes his room.

Domestically raised budgies should not have ANY parasites, let alone a variety.

They should not be kept in kitchens because the fumes from overheated Teflon and certain cleaning products will rapidly kill them due to their delicate respiratory system. There is no reason not to keep them in a bedroom.

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 06:56 AM
So would we need two rats because of the company issue? How long do rats normally live?... cause I know hampsters don't have such a long life.
I am still iffy about this.. hamsters seem so much cuter though. :D :rolleyes:

jackieb
November 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I agree with Lucky rescue rats are very inteligent we had two if handled alot very friendly they can learn things. I bought 2 when i had them and they got on really well just one fight in 4 years they were a lovely pet i thought about getting my boys them but think its too small for them. I might get some more for myself though they are a great pet. We had male rats the vet told us theese smell more as they mark there terotary. I m not sure exactly how long they live for longer than hamsters mine live til 4 but both devoloped cancerous tumors and died shortly after first one then the other.

I think you should get two but not the same sex lol unless you want lots of babys lol mine were out all the time so i may have been able to get away with one. They are very friendly and gentle need to be handeled alot and this would give your child something to do

squarejane
November 11th, 2004, 12:38 PM
lovebirds make awesome pets but need to be played with LOTS if you only have one...

budgies are quite lovely little pets and if you get one who is young enough you can with training have a great little friend. the bird with the world's largest vocabulary on record is a budgie -- with a scottish accent! :)

rats are awesome. one on it's own is fine (see lovebird). they tend towards respiratory problems so you need to clean the cage regularly and buy the balsam chips or even better, pellets instead of the cheaper pine chips to keem em healthy for the longest time. they can also be prone to tumors. they are friendly, sweet and clean.

micro hamsters (or dwarf hamsters) make such FUN pets! they are great in a habitrail cage and so much fun to watch. due to their hyperactivity they do some CRAZY stuff and will make a little kid howl with laughter. if you want to handle them, you need to do so almost every day or they may bite... their brains are small and they forget quickly! like rats, they have sensitive respiratory systems and fare better with balsam wood chips over the cheaper pine.

guppies make excellent bowl fish and require less care than some fish. if you have a small tank and 5 or 6 guppies, they school in the tank and will follow your finger outside. can be very pretty as well and not very pricy.

we have had or do have all of these pets and they all have been or are absolute treasures!

Heinz57
November 11th, 2004, 01:05 PM
In my expierence, hamsters from pet stores here in Calgary are lucky lately to survive more than 2 months. My friend got her son 3, bought the best food for them, gave plenty of fresh foods, they had borrowed my habitrail (over 200 dollar system 5 years ago!) with no luck. My sons tried hamsters, the first lived 6 months, the second try, 2 months. The kids were all heartbroken of course.
How about a snake? Not a big snake of course, corn snake or the likes. The child can actually play with them to an extent. I had a milk snake I found when I was about 7 yrs old, and had "twiggy" for 4 yrs until my dad who was phobic let her loose. She used to sleep curled around my neck for hours. Just a thought...

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Nooo snakes here Heinz!! I used to have nightmares about snakes, lol. My dad tried to get one around my neck for a picture once when I was a kid... I just can't do it! :p

heidiho
November 11th, 2004, 01:45 PM
HOw about a Tarantula.....

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I don't know about that one either... I know he hates bugs, but tarantulas are bigger than the normal house bug... I'll have to think about that one as well. Thanks! :D

jackieb
November 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM
lol @ sneaky me to i hate snakes i said no way to theese lol

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I talked to my husband and he thinks a hamster is best for him right now... I know he's wanted one, my brother's kids have one and he loves it. We're just going to quiz him until christmas and go from there.
I also think it would be easier for us if he does wind up not wanting to clean up after it.
Thanks for everyones help! :D

CyberKitten
November 11th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I was not going to post here b/c my view has already been posted by LR - that any animal that is to be cared for by an eight year old will in fact be REALLY cared for by the child's mother or father.

That said, I was "babysitting" an eight year old a few years ago - before my bunny went to Rainbow Ridge - and she fell in love with him. Her parents had told her she could have anything she wanted if she made good marks. She did and promptly requested a rabbit!

Rabbits are not low maintenance - contrary to what some people think. Still, her parents - friends of mine - found her a bunny at the local SPCA - and the bunny is still thriving. She did look after the little one quite a bit and was very responsible BUT it was mom and dad who had to do most of the heavy lifting.

I suspect that is true in any case - and it probably depends on the eight year old. This eight year old just loved my bunny - would come to visit all the time after that day - just to spend time with the rabbit. She still did later too,along with her furbaby!

But I do think mom and dad or whoever cares for the child will have to do a lot of work too.

squarejane
November 11th, 2004, 07:45 PM
if you have the opportunity to check out the dwarf hamsters at a pet store, they are very very entertaining!

BMDLuver
November 11th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why a Ferret would not be allowed in Allentown PA but a Rat would or a Hamster or Gerbil or a Guinea Pig. I might be messing up my biology but aren't they all considered rodents of one form or other? Sorry if I digress, it's just puzzling me..

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Because ferrets are considered an exotic animal... hamsters, gerbils etc are considered domesticated animals... I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 09:35 PM
I just did a little research. I found a list of ordinances of Allentown...
Besides the obvious tigers and bears, etc, here's what I found that are illegal here and also why.
Wild or Exotic animal shall mean any animal of a species prohibited by title 50, code of federal regulations or otherwise controlled by the commonwealth of PA. It shall include any animal which is wild, fierce, dangerous, noxious, or naturally inclined to do harm.
Wolf, fox, coyote, dingos
Weasels, all, including weasels, martens, mink, wolverine, FERRETS, badgers, otters, ermine and mongoose
All racoons
Porcupines and skunks
So ferrets aren't considered rodents.... they're in the weasel family.

BMDLuver
November 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks, at least that clarified my wondering about them and I learnt something new in the process! :thumbs up

Sneaky2006
November 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM
No problem! You had me wondering too! I just wonder now if it's like that in most places, but people never hear about it... I mean when I was growing up, people had ferrets, even skunks...
Some people here (the board, probably from canada) have dingos.. I wonder how many places allow these types of animals.
Ahh well, I guess I'll never know, at least I know my boundries here! :D

Writing4Fun
November 11th, 2004, 10:09 PM
People in Canada have Dingos???

Bugsy
November 12th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Anyone else thinking of Elaine in Seinfeld ??? :D

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Aren't dingos in Australia?
I don't know, it's probably just a brain fart... sorry :o People in Canada have Dingos??? I have no idea where that came from! :D

melanie
November 12th, 2004, 02:20 PM
a cheap alternative- my friend with an aquaculture farm breeds small fish including the fighters and neons for sale in pet shops. they say neon tetris are the cheapest, easiest to look after, small so you can have 2 in a bowl and are cute and great colors (and real easy to breed but you get heaps in a breed so not advised unless you want alot of fish :p ). they are quite pretty and interesting and cost a dollar or two each.

i once had a friend who had a barramundi in her fish tank, that is a really big fish you catch in rivers over here, because he was in the tank he did not grow to full size and you could hand feed him, and pat his nose, he would come right up and take the food, but they have big teeth so you had to be careful, she also had a crap fish in her tank, that is like a big crab/cray looking thing, he used to be happy to eat of a chop stick if you put it near his face. so fish can be creative, you dont have to stick with standard breeds.

and you are right lucky, a properly cared for bird should not have many parasites in the home, outside birds such as chickens do have some. BUT if a bird is not well cared for they can have a variety of parasites, but you would give it proper care alicia, most ppl i konw have parasites on their budigies and others,birds dont get a high level of care in many places.

if you go for bird i think the most important consideration is cage size in relation to bird size, my rule of thumb is no shorter that 6 wing spans, that is width, it should be 6 times as wide as the birds full wing span when streached, birds need space to maintain muscle strength, height is not such a big deal as width.

oh dingos in canada, well it sadens me to know that they are in captivity here let alone anywhere else, ohhhh poor baby dingos :sad: i hope not but i imagine you are right on that, humans do crazy crap all the time. poor baby doingos :(

let us know how you go :D

heidiho
November 12th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Ferrets Are Illegal In California Also

lilith_rizel
November 12th, 2004, 05:46 PM
They are illegal in DC as well, but I don't think that they are in my area, they sell them at a pet shop here in town.

Karin
November 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
The best pet for a kid is another kid.

A goat baby. I do love my goats.

Before the arguements start....My goats are house/boat/plane/RV broke. They are boarded now and have out door pasture with a barn to run to when it rains. For the majoritiy of their lives, they were "indoor" roommates.

I miss the sounds of hooves clopping through the livingroom...and office, & on the desk!, and the phone goes (cud everywhere!) Kids will be kids. Nothing like having a 100 lb. kitten go amok during the night. But they do grow out of the "spirts" much earlier.

Okay, I do love my goats and this was just a thought.

doggy lover
November 12th, 2004, 06:04 PM
My daughter just got a hermit crab its not to hard to take care of. We also have a bearded dragon (lizard) but reptiles, snakes and turtles require special lights, buying live food etc. I have also had rabbits and hamsters in the past and find they always have an odor, no matter if you change them every day. Cats make great pets, not too much maintainance, very independent creatures at least mine are, only want you on their terms. I have fish aswell boring. Look into the crab they are so ugly their cute.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks!
Well Karen, it took me a while to get what ya meant about another 'kid'.
I don't think we can have goats in the city though... I am not sure about that one. My husband absolutely loves goats!!! I won't tell him you said we should get one. :)

Thanks doggy lover, but we already have 4 cats... and I don't think I want another stinker for the litter boxes!
We had a hermit crab, but he died... he always pinched my son (and us!) so we hardly let him out, so it got quite boring. Thanks for the thoughts though. :)

melanie
November 13th, 2004, 04:23 PM
in relation to my previous comment about parasites on birds, just had a quick look at notes and whyat not and found the following details (memory bumming out), but they can be cared for and handled easily, but a bit of care is required to ensure a parasite free bird.

Lice and mites are an underestimated cause of ill health in budgerigars. They cause intense irritation preventing the birds from the rest they require to remain healthy. Red mite is another serious and deadly disease that must be controlled during summer.

The monthly administration of ivermectin into the drinking water for one day each three months concurrently with the application of Avian Liquidator Spray to the bird will help prevent lice and mite infestation.

Worm Protection-Internal parasites are a common cause of poor development and illness in juveniles and adult birds. Roundworms are particularly dangerous for budgerigars. Medicines that kill roundworms should be given each month during summer and autumn and every three months for the remainder of the year.

This combined treatment is by far the best approach for controlling lice, mite and worms.there are a million and one sites and info out there about budgies, check em out.

and on an interesting note, i always knew budgies were oz natives but i didnt know that they originate form the arid regions of central australia, what a pretty bird for such a harsh place, interesting evolution techniqes :D that one.

lilith_rizel
November 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Karin,

How did you house break your goats? I am really curious.

doggy lover
November 13th, 2004, 05:40 PM
What about a pot bellied pig, they are suppose to be smart and trainable.

onecatandonedog
November 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM
y'all should get a cat yo. fishes are really hard to take care of unless they are outdoor ones.

Karin
November 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Karin,

How did you house break your goats? I am really curious.

Well, no one can predict the poop..but it usually follows the pee. My girls learned quickly about peeing outside. They were raised in an aircraft hangar/factory where my ex and I also built hangar doors. Sandi, a French Alpine, was only 6 days old when I brought her home. She had a fetish for door knobs before she could even reach them without standing on her hind legs...she could open doors as long as they opened outwards. Did not take long for her to catch on. Her daughter Jansen, which came along 2 years later, no training at all. Her mom showed her the ropes. Now to get back in the door Sandi learned to "hoof it", she knocked. So did Jansen. It was harder to pull the door open at the same time twisting the handle.
Now if our hangar door was open they had free run. Our main door was operated by either manual control or remote. Sandi figured out the remote after her romp in the office one night. (The night we found cud all over the phone & office, guilty!...no one else chewed at the time!)
Goats are smart.

My first goat was a Pygmy, in my apartment in Ft.Lauderdale. Sophie went to work with me everyday. I do not recommended a Pygmy for a pet, they do have an attitude when older.
Now Nigerian Dwarfs are the smallest breed of caprine and do very well as a small hooved pet. A friend of mine has had one for 7 years and he travels by air & ground to many events. (He is a "wether", neutered male) They live in a condo in Port Orange, near Daytona Beach.

Oh, goats do not have a flea problem either. Actually it's the other way around, fleas have a problem with goats, they can't live with them.
Monthly worming with an equine dewormer such as strongid or ivermectin costs only pennies.

I could go on, check out any caprine site and you can learn more.

Goats do make great pets. But you can't have just one, they are too social to be alone.

Sneaky2006
November 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info about the birds mel! I was actually thinking about that one instead of a hamster, but then I remembered one time we were housesitting a friends place. He had two birds, I have no idea the type. Anyway, as soon as the sun came up, they were yapping like you wouldn't believe... Needless to say, we are not morning people. My son liked them a lot but I don't know if I could handle that every single morning. :p
Doggylover... I am pretty sure, just like the goats, I don't think I could have a pig in the city. Thanks though... :)