Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sophie's getting Spayed tommorow

shihtzulover
November 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM
I am so worried something will happen to her, she seems so little although she is 6 months old she is still a baby to me. We have to drop her off at 8am in the morning and pick her up after work at 5pm, its going to be a long day for her and me. :sad:

GunnerX
November 9th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I went through the same thing with Ariel. Dropped her off at 8 and picked her up at 5. She was quite drugged up and woozy to move when i brought her home. She ended up peeing on her pillow because she couldn't really walk. My wife and I felt very sorry for her. She was whining that night probably due to the medication wearing off. I ended up giving her a porkhide bone and she started chewing on that and didn't whine. I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up in the morning, Ariel wasn't where I left her. I looked around and she was already running around the kitchen!! It took her no time to get back to her old self.

BMDLuver
November 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Sophie. I always worry when they go under anesthetic. All will be well. :thumbs up

tyr
November 9th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Your feelings are very valid. I felt the same way when I brought Fidel to get nuetered when he turned 6mons. He had to stay overnight though because of the after affects of being put under. Plus it is my vets policy to keep them one night just to keep an eye on the animals and make sure everything is still okay the next day. I love my vet!:) I was so afraid - it is okay to feel that way. It is only natural to have that feeling when you love so much. Everything will be okay:)

shihtzulover
November 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
When we bring her home should we take her outside to pee or put her puppy pads down? We don't want to take her out and get it infected or anything.
Thanks for all the kind responses. I will stop at lunch and get her a new bone to chew on, she loves getting presents :party: (and usually gets one everyday :) ) Yep she has us wrapped around her little paw.

GunnerX
November 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I don't think she'll be in any shape to be outside when she gets back. Its best to put her on a pad.

GsdDiamond
November 9th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Your little girl will pull through like a trooper, I'm sure of it!

It'll be just fine...you wait and see. It's going to be hard to not baby her TOO much. I'm still paying for my babying....Diamond can't do jumping. Bad thing...when getting into the truck. Good thing...when the chain link fence should be a breeze for her.

Let us know how your little girl does!!

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I was just reading a book by a PETA volunteer about the fact that one should ask for pain meds just as you would for yourself if you were having surgery.

But she shoud do fine!!!! Good luck!! (As someone said to me about travel with my Yin Yin, it's harder on you than her, <g>

shihtzulover
November 10th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Well we dropped her off this morning, I don't think she understood what was happening. But I gave her a million kissed and told her I loved her. :love:

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Awwww she'll be fine :thumbs up Did the vet say when you could call to see how she is doing?

r0amy0
November 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM
We took Ginger to get spayed at 5 months.

After ,she was quite a suck and did not like to move at all, unless she needed to pee/poo on the pad.

It took about 4 full days for her to "seem" okay, and back to normal-wanting to run, play and walk. During that time we kept her from jumping/running for the next few days. We didnt use the cone very much, as she didnt lick the area.
She was very sensitive in the area stitched up.

Just follow vets orders by giving her anti-inflammatories that they prescribed.

On the 14th day, we got the stitches removed.

I think the hardest part was keeping her and my Pug separated and had to keep a close eye to interfere if any rough play was about to happen.(Even if she instigated it) Meal times were separate and either one was crated or close to mommy during family time.

When we went to work, we kept her in the bedroom where she had her own TV, bathroom & dining area.

We come home and there was our 2 dogs trying to get at each other between the baby gates. We didnt walk her on the grass until we got her stitches removed.

Well it's been almost a month since her surgery and she is totally back to normal...rough, mischievous, her stitches healed well and tomorrow she's going in for her first grooming session!..(the vet left matting on her chest as she shaved her belly)

Dukieboy
November 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Let us know how she's doing...

shihtzulover
November 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
The vet said they would call as soon as the surgery was done. She was having blood work done first then her surgery.
she is a big sook even when she is not hurting so I am expecting a very sooky baby for the rest of the week and weekend :sick: . We are off tommorow and my husband took Friday off to stay home with her, then we will be home all weekend. If she is still not feeling better on Monday either I will stay home or she will go to her Nannies for the day.
I think its going to be hard for the cats to understand why she is hurting but I will make sure they are not incouraging and play sessions. :)

shihtzulover
November 10th, 2004, 12:47 PM
We heard from the vet that Sophie is doing fine she was just starting to wake up when they called.
He did say that in feb she will have to come in and have some of her baby teeth removed because they are rooting.
Is this normal? :confused: