Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A friend for my lonely girl

Staciewells1
November 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM
My Mini-pin (mix) has been lonely since my bunny passed away last month. I never realized how close they were, but Ellie has been pretty blue. She's moping, eating less and she's also been barking at the neighbors a lot, too. This is new- I was pretty sure she didn't know how to bark before! We're thinking of adopting a new animal, and I would love some suggestions.

First of all, we're thinking of another dog, but I'm flexible. Although I'm not ready for another bunny. I had Franklynn for almost 9 years and I just can't replace her yet.
Factors like breed and age aren't a big concern for me. The most important factors to know are:
Ellie is a 2.5 year old alpha female Mini-Pin mix. She was an abandoned stray so I don't know about any of her history. She loves to play and would play ball 24 hours if she could.
We live in an apartment and are gone 8 hours a day, 3 days a week so we need a pet who can handle this.
We have no children, and there are no children in our building but we do run into kids at walk time.
We let our animals have free access to the whole apartment except our bedroom when we're gone. And Ellie sleeps, curled up in a ball on my pillow at night.
We didn't crate train her since we got her as an adult, but I will if I have to. (Although I'd prefer not to.)
We're going to either adopt from the local shelter or foster from a rescue group. So I know that I'm not going to get my cookie- cutter idea of a perfect animal, but if someone out there knows of a breed that might come close, let me know. Your suggestions will help so much!

BMDLuver
November 9th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Where are you located? There are wonderful minpin organizations all over North America who may be able to help you find a minpin that works with the one you have. We work with one in Ottawa and the lady who does it is lovely. Perhaps if you are close to her she could help? Let me know location and perhaps we can be of assistance in pointing you in the right direction.

tyr
November 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I am not sure of any suggestions but I just wanted to say that you have really thought a great deal about this!! :) I think it is great that you want to get your little guys a new buddy! As well, you have given great details as to what you are looking for. You have left it open but listed some very important things. Although I can not help I just wanted to say that I am impressed! :)

Good luck and let me know how things go! :love:

Staciewells1
November 9th, 2004, 06:00 PM
I live in East Tennessee. There are a few Min-Pin rescues around here and my local animal shelter has some for adoption. I worry about that, though. Ellie has such a strong personality. I'm not sure if it's a breed characteristic or just her. I'm really looking for an animal that will allow her to remain alpha.

Thank you for the kind words. I love my girl and I would do anything to make sure she's happy and healthy. Physically as well as emotionally.

sujean
November 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM
going to a shelter is great - i got our tyson (belgian mal) at the shelter at 6 years old. he was pretty much a dog in a box when we got him, fully trained, no behavioral problems.

we have never had an accident in the house, he doesn't bark unnecessarily, and he gets along great with the cats. at 90 pounds, he doesn't tear anything up and even knows that he is not allowed on the bed (what he does when we are gone...who knows :evil: )

my husband are gone for at least 8 hours a day and tyson patiently waits for us every night.

at our shelter, they give descriptions of how the dog used to live and if s/he still needs to be trained etc. i know our lives can be hectic and bringing a new pet home is sometimes very time consuming. so adopting a prepackaged pup from the shelter might be good for you!

good luck with your search :D

mastifflover
November 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Staci I would suggest you get a male they will be much happier together. Females always run the kennel and males have no problem with it but another female could be a fight waiting to happen especially if you already have an alpha dog. Females tend to be more aggressive with other females. I think I would look for something around the same size. What about a dashund not a woosie dog and they like to be social