Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is sick...

oscar's mom
November 9th, 2004, 09:42 AM
I just adopted an 11 week old male puppy from out local pound. He's been to the vet and been check and had his first shots. The vet said everything was fine. Last night, I kenneled him to run to the store. WHen I returned and let him out, he began wheezing and it was like he couldn't catch his breath. He sounded a little congested. However, he didn't act like he felt bad as he was jumping and very excited to see me. After he calmed down, he was fine. He didn't wheeze or have trouble breathing. This morning, he did the same thing again when I let him out to go potty. He began wheezing and during the walk he continued to wheeze, but after a little while it went away. He did it again a little later, but not as bad. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

Writing4Fun
November 9th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Hi and welcome to the board! Can I ask what breed your new puppy is? Is he actually wheezing, or is it more of a little hack, like he's trying to get something out of his throat?

oscar's mom
November 9th, 2004, 10:52 AM
He's terrier mix and we don't think he's going to be very large. It really sounds like he's trying to catch his breath. He's not hacking or coughing. He's just taking in large breaths of air. I wondered if it could be an asthma attack.

xahv
November 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
please make sure its not the "reverse cough" that all dogs have...

Goldenmom
November 10th, 2004, 08:45 AM
please make sure its not the "reverse cough" that all dogs have...

Can you please stop posting here and get your own dog to the vet ASAP!!

xahv
November 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM
dad took him 20 minutes ago....he is on the way with my sister as well/....

Goldenmom
November 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM
dad took him 20 minutes ago....he is on the way with my sister as well/....

Good luck to your dog, please let us know how it goes.