Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

More MPP responses

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Here's a letter that I received from another MPP today. And I also included my response.
His letter:

Dear Ms C:

Thank you for expressing your concern with regard to the pit bull legislation. I understand your apprehension towards Bill 132 and I have been diligent in communicating your concerns to the Attorney General.

To be clear, please know that people who own a pit bull when and if this law is passed, will be able to keep their pets. If passed, these pit bulls will have to be leashed and muzzled when in public and spayed or neutered. I am sure that responsible owners view these as reasonable measures to ensure public safety.

What I find most important with advancing this bill is that responsible owners and their dogs are not penalized for the mistakes of those owners who have been careless and have endangered the general population.

I want you to know that this legislation, if passed, would toughen penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. We are doing our best to focus the penalties on irresponsible owners.

Further, the government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the majority of Ontarians (this does not mean however that your concerns have gone unheard). In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed numerous serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls. As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has received thousands of letters, emails, faxes, and phone calls from residents across Ontario, sharing their stories and urging the government to act in the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in their communities.

Once again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me and please feel free to continue to express your ideas with me. I can assure you that I will always inform my colleagues of concerns and advocate for the most reasonable and equitable solution.

Best Regards,
Wayne Arthurs, M.P.P.
Pickering-Ajax-Uxbridge
Phone: 905.420.0829
Toll Free: 1.800.669.4788
Fax: 905.420.5351
E-mail: wayne@arthurs.ca

And my letter in response:

I appreciate your letter sir. I have a couple of comments.

MANY emails from both sides of the ban have been sent to a number of Ontario's public figures. Many email from those that are FOR the ban have more then likely been fueled through the media. Have any of those people been able to provide information as to how these "pit bulls" are scientifically proven to be these "ticking time bombs"?? I presume many of these letters have been based solely on emotions and fears instilled by the media and the Hon. Attorney General himself.

Because of this fear Michael Bryant has instilled into the citizens of Ontario there are numerous accounts of verbal and physical assaults that are occurring due to the breed of dog that innocent people choose to love.
Some accounts of abuse by fellow citizens can be viewed here: http://www.goodpooch.com/attackreports.htm
This site has been providing personal accounts of Ontario citizens because of this impending ban. These assaults have not been limited to just pit bull owners, but virtually any dog owner that is within earshot of these unscrupulous people. I too have unfairly been a victim of verbal assaults brought on simply by the breed of my dog.
I am sure that you're well aware that many breeds and types of dogs can be violent and ill-mannered. Assuming that this ban will encompass strictly "pit bull type dogs" leaves a possibility for other breeds to be exploited, abused and neglected such has this over populated breed.
Below is a link to a video called "The Pit Bull Problem". I urge to you view this video and see exactly what type of extortion and hate this breed has faced; not only is Michael Bryant contributing to this hateful perception of these dogs, but he is encouraging it by preventing responsible, loving and caring owners from protecting pit bulls from these hateful crimes.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/11454716/

I wish to challenge you and you colleagues to review some of the sites that I have provided below. These sites are contributed to by many people that have years of hands on experience with these so-called "dangerous dogs".
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.cfm
http://www.forpitssake.org/frame.html
http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/APBTInfo/pittiefacsa.htm

There is a problem with recent dog attacks through out our province, that I will not deny. The issue is responsible ownership and animal cruelty which lead to human aggression, causing these attacks. Why has this not been tabled? Why is they think banning one breed the answer to protecting our children from untrained and unsocialized animals?

Discrimination is still discrimination, regardless of species.

Sincerely,
Samantha
Brampton, ON

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Excellent letter Sammie. I have gotten a few positive responses as well, for these politicians who take the time to respond I always send a thank you with a link to one of the sites with facts.

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks Robin.
Hey, I have a question. I have mass mailed that letter to all the MPPs again and I received this message:
Subject: pit bulls
Sent: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:32:56 -0500

did not reach the following recipient(s):

#MPP's Liberal (all) on Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:32:50 -0500
A restriction in the system prevented delivery of the message.
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=ca;a=
;p=assembly;l=EXLIBERAL0411082132WJW63FAA
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:LIBERAL:EXLIBERAL

Does this mean only the liberal government has blocked my emails?? I would love to email this to the opposition showing them that the Liberals are not even accepting mail from the Ontario citizens.

Luvmypit
November 8th, 2004, 04:50 PM
i got that once too and called my local MPP and asked if it was in their practice to block the very people that pay there salaries. His secratary called back and said that he had got it and I made sure it was the email I had sent. I think some block you but it still gets out there to others.

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I have gotten this from the village idiots office I guess he has banned me. But I find if you send more than 2 emails they seem to block them. But just for MB and the liberals I have about 5 accounts that I send from and will just shut those and open new ones. I also send them from different computers. I would forward it and say this is the type of reception you are getting from the liars oops I mean liberals.

Sheriffmom
November 9th, 2004, 08:34 AM
I think you should def. be sending them to opposition (Kormos, Churley especially) With a note saying maybe the reason MBryant has so many emails in support of this bill, is maybe because he is blocking emails of those that oppose him.
Is blocking the emails of your constituents even legal?
Maybe you should send it to Pulse 24 as well, give them a heads up, about more of MBs dirty tricks!!

Luvmypit
November 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I got a response from Toby Barrett. Well from his secratary. He is also opposed to the ban. I don't know if anyone has gotten a response from him but if not hes on our side too!

sammiec
November 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I posted a thread about him yesterday! Great news!

lil_kirk
November 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM
You can't send them as bulk mail---their servers have blockers to avoid getting spam. You have to send them to each MPP on their own I believe. They don't block you as I recall---it's a computer spam problem I believe.

Copper'sMom
November 9th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Here is one reply I received from Norfolk County MPP Toby Barrett!!

On behalf of MPP Toby Barrett, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your e-mail with regard to pit bull legislation. Mr. Barrett
will not be supporting this bill -- he does not feel that the legislation is
effective, nor will it solve the issues that the Liberal government has with
this specific breed.

Mr. Barrett encourages his constituents who do not feel the legislation is
just to write letters to the editor, to Attorney General Michael Bryant and
members of the Ontario Liberal Government. If you require mailing addresses,
please do not hesitate to contact our office at: 519-428-0446 or
905-765-8413.

Once again, thank you for taking time to apprise Mr. Barrett of your
thoughts and feelings.

Sincerely,
Danielle, CA