Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why does leftover chicken taste funny?

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I have always wondered this? Is it just me, but does leftover chicken that's been reheated taste metalic and gross? Like leftover KFC and stuff.

Any thoughts? I love roast chicken and turkey..but hate the leftovers! Oh..turkey is even worse than the chicken.

Writing4Fun
November 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Really couldn't tell you, raingirl. We rarely have leftover anything (except pasta - always make extra pasta for leftovers :D ), and I haven't been able to eat KFC since I got preggers the first time :sick: . When I was a kid with a cast-iron stomach, though, I would always have my leftover KFC cold. :p

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM
It's something I've always noticed, but can't seem to get past!!!

Last night we roasted a chicken. With 2 people only, and I don't eat dark meat, there was a lot of left over. I feel bad wasting it, but I can't eat it.

I got most of the way through the other leftover breast meat today at lunch..but it was hard.

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Don't waste it. Cut it up in cubes and use for dog or cat treats! Nothing better. I've never noticed an off-taste. But leftover roast beef sometimes tastes different to me. I slice it into strips about 3 inches long and reheat with a jar of Paul Newman's Spaghetti Sauce and serve over pasta. Really good, fast & easy on a class night, and my hubby doesn't seem to realize it's leftover! Pass the parmesan! We always have leftover leftovers that are then great to take to work to reheat in the micro for lunch!

Sneaky2006
November 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
How did you heat up the leftover chicken or turkey? I find a funny taste if it's re-heated in the microwave, but if you heat the chicken pieces (or KFC) in the oven, it's usually ok. Same for the turkey, re-heat it in turkey stock on the stove or bake it again.
Also make sure you have it properly wrapped in the fridge... a lot of the time, foods absorb some of the fridge funk and therefore taste funny after re-heating.

Iggette
November 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM
raingirl I too notice that it doesn't taste as good the second time around, so my favorite thing to do with leftover chicken or turkey is to make soup a great big pot of it after eating what we can I freeze the rest in small margerine containers or lunch baggies to be eaten on that cold winter day.....mmmmmmmmmmm nothin like homemade chicken soup when your all chilly inside :thumbs up

chico2
November 9th, 2004, 08:40 AM
My four crows,Heckle and Jeckel and Dumb and Dumber love leftover anything :thumbs up But the soup sounds awfully good :)