Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Babymoon

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I have noticed that you're interested in a small dog for Christmas for your children. I just wanted to bring your attention to this post we have here regarding animals for free. I'm in no way implying that you're similar; but just so you're aware, it's dangerousto look for free pets on the internet. Please take a minute to read THIS (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6052); I am showing you this because you could face some hurtful comments when requesting a FREE pet, and this is why...

Also, just a note; it become very confusing for other posters when you copy and paste the same information all over the board.

And, I also wanted to point out, just because you may get a pet for free - there are still vet bills, medications, etc that can be very costly. Please consider this option and be sure that you're new found family member will be taken care of by professionals when required.

Good luck with your search..

Bugsy
November 8th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Sammiec

Birds of a feather.... :thumbs up

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Thank you for your comment and suggestion, however, I have posted many requests, as I am unsure whether people actually read these posts regularily. My children are desperately wanting to get me a small puppy, and as I am the one who must purchase it, I cannot afford to make that happen. Most places that I have contacted, are asking upwards of $600 for a puppy, and I am aware there are vet bills, etc., we will of course take care of the precious puppy, as it is required/needed, and will indeed pay for it as well. However, it being close to Christmas time, I cannot help that. My children, would like to get me a puppy as a Xmas gift. The tried earlier in October, for my birthday, but were crushed when someone offered us a puppy, in our home town, and then changed their mind and asked for $350, which of course I cannot afford.
This is a sincere request, and I can completely understand that there are people who would be false in their requests, however, I have exhausted all other options. The local SPCA offers spaying and neutering with their adoptions, however, all of their dogs are grown, have personality issues, and are still rather expensive. I am sorry if I have offended anyone in my efforts. Please reply to me, if you have any suggestions for me. Thank you.

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I don't think anyone is offended Babymoon. I was just hoping to make you aware that sometimes there are people here that ask for similar things or try and give their animals away for free. We, as concerned animal lovers, are just trying to make others aware that there are people out there that do search for free animals for sedistic reasons. I never ws implying that you were one, but just that you may receive the cold shoulder for that reason.

Many humane societies and shelters require an adoption fee because of the costs that they have to put out for these animals. I personally don't feel that this is too much because of what these people do for those animals. BUT, I do understand that you're hoping to please your children even though you many not have the means to pay for an dog at this point.

I must suggest that you keep looking at shelters, they do receive puppies occasionally and they do go quickly. But if you think about it... you get a dog from the shelter for 200 dollars, whihc could be fixed already (usually costs 250 - 400 itself) and they usually have their first couple shots (50 - 100 dollars) you're already ahead with that adoption fee AND you're helping these shelters do what they do best - finding animals loving homes.

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I don't know if you are anywhere near toronto, but the cheapest place to get a dog is the Toronto Humane Society ($50.00 I think). I know they don't have puppies often, but dogs that are a litle older are actually better anyway.

Maybe I would suggest you see if your kids can volunteer at the local SPCA and they would learn vauable pet handling skills. Plus they can keep an eye out for puppies.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM
I live in Bawlf, Alberta. I do not drive. My children are 11, 10, and 6 years old. The nearest SPCA is in Edmonton, which is 1.5 hours from where I live. I want to thank you all for your advice and help.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I live in Bawlf, Alberta. I do not drive. My children are 11, 10, and 6 years old. The nearest SPCA is in Edmonton, which is 1.5 hours from where I live. I want to thank you all for your advice and help. It appears my kids won't be getting me gift this year.

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Babymoon you probably won't see what I posted in the other thread, so I am repeating it here:

Babymoon, I greatly sympathize with your situation and with your request.

However, young puppies require a lot - spaying, neutering, crates, food, beds, toys, leashes, vaccinations - all this comes to many hundreds of dollars.

How will you pay for all this?

They also need housetraining, obedience training, and exercise. How will you do all this if there are days you are unable to get up, and your kids are in school?

Toy breed or very tiny dogs are not playthings for children. They are very fragile, easily injured and can be very defensive of any rough handling and are often not patient or good with children.

They can also be subject to things like luxating patellas which may require an expensive surgical fix. Anyone giving away a toy breed puppy is not someone who has had health testing done or is breeding responsibly.

Getting the dog is the easiest part. Don't know if you thought about all the rest of it?

Please post your requests/comments/questions once only.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
There must be some sort of confusion. I never asked for a toy breed dog. Simply put, my kids are looking to get me a small puppy, so it is easier for me to care for. My best friend is a dog groomer, and my sister is a vet, so there are no concerns there, as they have offered their services to me with little to no charge, as they always have in the past with my outside dog, and my two cats. I love my children, I feed my children, I clothe my children, I buy medication for my children when needed, although I cannot afford to buy them elaborate gifts. It is the same with a pet, I love my pets, I feed my pets, I take them to the groomer, I take them to the vet, although I cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars to buy one. Every animal that I have ever owned, has been free. I have two cats, one of which has been with me for 8 years. My other cat was a gift last Xmas from my kids, and was given to them for me, my outside dog, who is much too big to be an inside dog, but i care for him everyday, have trained him, and love him dearly, i have had for 3 years and was free. I must have been sadly mistaken in thinking that anyone could understand my situation. Just because I cannot afford to pay $600 upfront for the purchase of an animal, does not mean that I would not love, and care for that animal at any cost. I do it for my children, and I do it for pets.

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
my outside dog, who is much too big to be an inside dog, but i care for him everyday, have trained him, and love him dearly, i have had for 3 years and was free.

I understand what you're aying babymoon.. But this statement above bothers me. You have a dog that you insist on remaining outside because it's far to large to be inside?? There is a lady on this board that has a loft and a full grown Mastiff living inside with her. Incase you're unfamiliar mastiffs are VERY large dogs. It's possible for a large do to be indoors. How fair is it to that dog freezing outdoors in the winter, lonely, while you and your children play indoors, warm, with the new puppy. I'm sorry but that really bothers me. I think you should reconsider getting another dog... what happen when the puppy gets bigger, will it go outside too?!?!

heidiho
November 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Ok, i understand your situation,but i dont get the outside dog thing,why is the dog an outside dog???And is it fair to get another dog that is inside while the other dog is outside????????????????????????

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 03:04 PM
My outdoor dog, has an insulated dog house. He is more content to be outside. He is part sheepdog, he is never neglected, and in fact, whn the weather gets poor, he comes inside, however, i live in a trailer, which is large enough for my children, and not large enough for him to be indoors. He whines, and wants to return outside, when i bring him in. I am not cruel to him. He wants to be outside, and when I bring him in, he wants out again. I have a large fenced area for him to play in, and he loves it.

sujean
November 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Simply put, my kids are looking to get me a small puppy, so it is easier for me to care for.

i'm not sure that a small puppy is "easier" to care for. i have experienced the opposite, which is why i adopt older dogs from the humane society.

but your best bet is going to be the humane society or even petfinder.com. but i am inclined to agree with sammiec in that if you already have a dog that has now been placed outdoors due to his size, a new puppy may not necessarily be the answer. maybe as a gift, your kids can donate funds or time in your honor to a local shelter or rescue group.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 03:14 PM
my other dog, did not get put outside because he was too much to handle, he is an outdoor dog. He lives outdoors. Apparently, I am the only dog owner who ever has their dog live outside, in an insulated dog house. I bring him in when the weather is bad, including rainy, and windy. He is too large to have indoors, not that i didn't want him inside anymore. I get the feeling that I am being picked on. I do not want a senior dog, because I want to be able to have to dog grow with us. I do not want my kids getting attached to a dog who in a few years, will pass away. I want a dog that I can hold, and cuddle with, and take with me wherever I go. I want a dog that I can teach from a puppy, and can get along with my cats, and my kids. Apparently, I am not going to find help here. I will keep looking. My kids will not rest until they get me puppy for xmas. thanks anyways.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Ok, i understand your situation,but i dont get the outside dog thing,why is the dog an outside dog???And is it fair to get another dog that is inside while the other dog is outside????????????????????????

My other dog Milo, is outside because he is too big to have indoors, and no the other puppy would not be outside, strictly indoor dog. The whole idea is that I cannot have Milo indoors, he is too large to have in a trailer home. However, a smaller dog, I can.

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
You're not being picked on; I just find it harsh that you would have a dog outside that would more then likely receive less attention then the new puppy. I suppose he's tied to a tree with an insolated dog house and is fed and played with when the children go outside??

What about when it's cold and snowy outside and you're inside playing with your new puppy. I know he's not being neglected and enjoys to be out there, but alone?!?!
In my opinion that's like having a child watch you throught the window while you play with a newborn baby. It hurts their feelings too!!

I would suggest that your children get you something inexpensive and fun - a basket filled with bath stuff - bubble bath, sented candles, a book, creams, etc... they should be happy to get you that, and it's relatively inexpensive.... and you have peaceful time to yourself to relax from the children.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM
you know, i am quite upset that everyone seems to think that i am being cruel to my dog, by having him outside, this is where he is comfortable. My children do not want anything for themselves for xmas, they want to get me a puppy. i am sure you cannot understand how much it hurts me to know that i cannot afford to get them what they want. And i don't expect you to understand. I am frustrated with trying to explain my situation, my reasonings, and now i have to explain to my children that they cannot get me puppy, for xmas, because apparently, there are people out there that beleive they know what is better for me, and my family. I would gladly spend $600 or more to make my children happy this xmas, if I had it to spend, but since I do not, I thought that to make their xmas special, and get them what they want, rahter than use the xmas charities, and the dollar store, I would attempt to find someone who had a dog they could no longer care for, and give it a warm and loving family.
Forgive me

CyberKitten
November 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I just wondered why you wanted another dog when you already have one and live in a small enclosure (ie a trailor). I understand what you are saying but animals and small children must be supervised at ALL times no matter how good the dog or puppy and how good the children.

When I went to buy my little Siamese kitten yesterday, there was a family who came to see the kittens. The family refused to sell to them because one little boy - about 6 - picked up one of the kittens and then threw her down. He did not mean to hurt her but these things happen - and the mother just yelled at him, did not even apologize. They wanted the cat and the people who had the Siamese for sale said sorry, no way! (It was one of the reasons I knew I was buying the kitten from a good home -and the family who had the cats lived on modest means, offered me Science Diet Kitten Food and charged a most reasonable price - less than most for profit breeders). They too had a young boy of about 8 who was well trained in handling the kittens but they said they watched him too!

I do hope you find what you want but please make sure irt of for the love of the dog and not just so you can have a pet for your and the childrens' convenience. I do not mean to be picky here - I am just an animal lover!!

You need to think how the other dog will feel!! (and I really cannot understand why you keep him outside - an "outside" dog to me is one who plays outside and gopes for walks outside but sleeps inside with his or her family. Cn you not have him sleep in the house at night?)

Just my two cents!

Delirium
November 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM
If I was in an adoptive position, I would say that you clearly have your hands full. However, when you do get the ability your priority should be to find a home better suited for your existing animal so that he can live indoors, as he should be able too.

Then, when your existing situation is rectified, your best option sounds like that vet you're friends with. Vets almost always have an idea about animals needing a home.

Dee

Writing4Fun
November 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Babymoon, no-one here wants to judge you. All we can do is give you advice based on the information you give us and our personal experiences. Everyone who has said "don't get another dog" is speaking out of concern for you, your family, your existing pets and any future pet you might bring into the home.

I do have a question for you, though. Your sister is a vet and your best friend is a groomer. Can they not help you find a dog? Surely they have contacts? Just a question.

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I don't know of any dogs who prefer to stay alone outside when the rest of the family is inside. Just how big is this dog and why did you get such a large dog that you can't handle? Any obedient and trained dog can live indoors quite nicely no matter how big. Is he destructive and not trained?

No one is picking on you. We just don't want to see another dog either tied outside or sent to the shelter. On the days when you cannot be active, is there someone who will come in to take the puppy out to exercise and housetrain it?

You are not well, already have one big dog tied outside, 3 children and 2 cats. Sounds like a lot to me.

You'll probably find what you are looking for in newspaper ads. No rescue would adopt a small breed puppy to you under the circumstances.

melanie
November 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
dont worry, you will find the right pup when it comes along, everything comes to those who wait long enough :D . i cant suggest anythign but to keep a good eye out on all the shelters and the SPCA. perhaps they have waiting lists or similar, or you could let them know what your looking for and they could keep an eye out for you and let you know if it comes in?? do you ahve the free add section in your local newspaper??, im not over there so not sure. but good luck with it:D

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 04:31 PM
My dog is not tied up outside, he has a large fenced area in which he happily plays in. My children are outside afterschool playing with him, and I go out to play with him, and take him for walks, teach him new tricks. He is simply outside because Child and Family Services had suggested to my sister-in-law that a large breed dog is inappropriate to have indoors, and would be much happier outdoors. Therefore, he lives outdoors, where is he is quite satisfied. He is free to roam the fenced area all day. We take him for leashed walks in the local area parks, where dogs are permitted. We clean up after him daily. He is fed and watered daily. He gets plenty of attention, exercise and love. On the days when I am unable to tend to him, I have neighbors, as well as my children who come over to assist me, they do not do it alone. I prefer to do it myself. My animals are not a burden to me, nor should they be. My animals confort me and are in fact somewhat of a therapy for me. A smaller one would simply be easier for me to care for on days when I am having difficulty, this doesn't mean that my other dog would be ignored.

heidiho
November 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Can i ask what exaclty is wrong with you????????????

chico2
November 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Babymoon,I read all the posts and I too got taken aback about your out-door dog,although I am sure you love and care for him.
One of my sons live in Vermillion Alberta,2 hours away from Edmonton and I know how extreemly cold it gets there and the thought of a dog having to stay outside really bothers me...in my mind there is no such thing as an outside dog/cat.
However,I can understand your need to please your kids,I grew up dirt-poor and Christmas was the hardest time of the year,my mom too was very sick,but a puppy was totally out of the question no matter how much I begged for one.
I think you should reconsider and talk to the children,you seem like an animal-lover and I am in no way trying to put you down,but Alberta has long cold winters,try to get your other dog and the cats to stay inside in the warmth and give them all the love you would have for a puppy.
If you insist,I think it would have to be privately,our Humane Society would probably not let you adopt,for several reasons,but mostly because you already have a dog who lives outside.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 05:05 PM
I have Fibrocystic Breast Disease, Fibromyalgia, and a permanent back injury. What is wrong with you? I found that to be asked in a very demeaning and derogatory way.

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Babymoon,I read all the posts and I too got taken aback about your out-door dog,although I am sure you love and care for him.
One of my sons live in Vermillion Alberta,2 hours away from Edmonton and I know how extreemly cold it gets there and the thought of a dog having to stay outside really bothers me...in my mind there is no such thing as an outside dog/cat.
However,I can understand your need to please your kids,I grew up dirt-poor and Christmas was the hardest time of the year,my mom too was very sick,but a puppy was totally out of the question no matter how much I begged for one.
I think you should reconsider and talk to the children,you seem like an animal-lover and I am in no way trying to put you down,but Alberta has long cold winters,try to get your other dog and the cats to stay inside in the warmth and give them all the love you would have for a puppy.
If you insist,I think it would have to be privately,our Humane Society would probably not let you adopt,for several reasons,but mostly because you already have a dog who lives outside.
Yes, Alberta does have some cold winters, that is why, if you have read, I bring my dog indoors when the weather gets ugly out. Whether it is simply windy, rainy or snowing, or even when it gets too hot, I bring him indoors. However, he hates to be indoors. So, I keep in for a few hours, then send him out to do his business and cool off, then he comes back indoors again. Its a cycle we go through rather frequently, but in order to keep him happy, and healthy, we do this. He really does not like to be indoors for any length of time. I respect your opinion that no dog or cat should be an outdoor animal, my cats never go outside. My dog on the other hand, prefers not to be an indoor animal, and I respect that decision.

sujean
November 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM
i think that the important thing to realize is that everyone on this board is concerned for your well being as well as any pets you may adopt in the future.

1)although i realize you have family and friends that can help you out with grooming/vet/etc, you have stated that you do not drive. inthe case of emergency, how will you transport a sick pet?

2) you have fibromyalgia. my mother does as well and i know the kind of pain she is in on a daily basis. some days she cannot even get out of bed! if you are also suffering from this disease, there are days when you are immobile. how do you plan on caring for a puppy? on the days that you feel well enough, that is fine, but you know as well as i do that on the days that you do not feel well, especially in th upcoming cold winter months, where there will be many of those days, you will not be able to care for that puppy.

3) no one is saying you are cruel for leaving your dog outside. it is just worrysome for the reasons that he IS outside. he has outgrown your home and he is happier outside. what happens if you next puppy outgrows your home again? or if he is more active than your current dog and needs more space to run?

4) your economic situation is such that you have to get assistance for christmas gifts. what happens when you are low on funds b/c the kids are sick, you need treatment for your health problems, the heating bill is extraordinararily large that month and on top of it, the puppy gets sick and god forbid, needs surgery or needs to be boarded with the vet. how will you pay for these costs? not to mention pills that may be needed for an ailing pup?

i understand your desire to make your kids happy. but sometimes, don't you think that just b/c the humans are happy, that doesn't mean the animals are?

it is clear that you have your mind made up about this situation and i respect you for that, but not even for a dogs sake, but for your own, maybe you can wait until you are more stable before taking on more responsibility.

please do not take this as judgement, ridicule, or talking down to you. i think as outsiders, we are only trying to discuss what your best options are. and isn't that why you came on this board-to get opinions on your options?

heidiho
November 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM
No it wasnt meant to be like that,just wondering what your condition is that's all.Lets see what is wrong with me,i am high strung,always stress out,addicted to cigarettes....I worry about everything,and i dont think i will ever find MR.RIGHT,That is what is wrong with me...................

babymoon
November 8th, 2004, 11:20 PM
i think that the important thing to realize is that everyone on this board is concerned for your well being as well as any pets you may adopt in the future.

1)although i realize you have family and friends that can help you out with grooming/vet/etc, you have stated that you do not drive. inthe case of emergency, how will you transport a sick pet?

>My husband drives and I will have my license on the 17th of the month<

2) you have fibromyalgia. my mother does as well and i know the kind of pain she is in on a daily basis. some days she cannot even get out of bed! if you are also suffering from this disease, there are days when you are immobile. how do you plan on caring for a puppy? on the days that you feel well enough, that is fine, but you know as well as i do that on the days that you do not feel well, especially in th upcoming cold winter months, where there will be many of those days, you will not be able to care for that puppy.

>and if the same were asked of you with your family and pets what would your answer be?<

3) no one is saying you are cruel for leaving your dog outside. it is just worrysome for the reasons that he IS outside. he has outgrown your home and he is happier outside. what happens if you next puppy outgrows your home again? or if he is more active than your current dog and needs more space to run?

>My dog has not 'outgrown' the home, why can't you people understand what I am saying...nevermind, think what you will>

4) your economic situation is such that you have to get assistance for christmas gifts. what happens when you are low on funds b/c the kids are sick, you need treatment for your health problems, the heating bill is extraordinararily large that month and on top of it, the puppy gets sick and god forbid, needs surgery or needs to be boarded with the vet. how will you pay for these costs? not to mention pills that may be needed for an ailing pup?

>I guess when I run out of food for my children and my animals, we can all starve to death but at least we'll be together, come on, now, if you were suddenly in my position, although you love your pets, would you give them away, or would you do everything in your power to make sure they had shelter and food?>

i understand your desire to make your kids happy. but sometimes, don't you think that just b/c the humans are happy, that doesn't mean the animals are?

>what makes you think my animals aren't happy?<

it is clear that you have your mind made up about this situation and i respect you for that, but not even for a dogs sake, but for your own, maybe you can wait until you are more stable before taking on more responsibility.

>thank you for your respect, but I don't need your respect, nor do i need your pity, my aimals, and children are all loved and well taken care of, I require the aid of the xmas bureau simply for xmas gifts that i can't afford, because i have spent my money on groceries and bills, my pets have always had shelter, love and food, and i have never actually had to take them to the vet, other than their neutering>

please do not take this as judgement, ridicule, or talking down to you. i think as outsiders, we are only trying to discuss what your best options are. and isn't that why you came on this board-to get opinions on your options?

<i came to this message board hoping that someone might find it in their hearts, to not SELL their animal when they have no use for it anymore, but rather make 3 children very happy, apparently, you would rather see somepeople turn a profit for a poor animal, than see mine in an insulated dog house, being fed, being loved, and with a fenced area of 300sq ft.>

Cinnabear
November 9th, 2004, 12:27 AM
So what are you going to do when you get a small dog and the big dog wants to be indoors too?

Cinnabear
November 9th, 2004, 12:58 AM
How are you going to care for a small puppy. They are ten times the work then a bigger dog. You do realize it may take up to 2 years to be potty trained. It took me this long to train mine. Wouldn't the pup be hard on your back? Doesn't the cats give you comfort?

You have no idea what Pets.ca is about. They do not recommend giving dogs away for free. They are against puppy mills. Nobody here turns a pup for profit. You have the wrong site if you do think that. We all care what happens to animals.

lexah
November 9th, 2004, 08:49 AM
<i came to this message board hoping that someone might find it in their hearts, to not SELL their animal when they have no use for it anymore, but rather make 3 children very happy, apparently, you would rather see somepeople turn a profit for a poor animal, than see mine in an insulated dog house, being fed, being loved, and with a fenced area of 300sq ft.>

Babymoon, it feels as though you didn't even read a word of what sujean said. She made some extremely valid points that I feel you are ignoring, because its not what you want to hear.

The reason it is recommended to charge a small fee for a pup or a dog, even when putting up for adoption, is to show that the new owner is willing to put a financial commitment towards the dog. It has nothing to do with makinig a profit! It shows that the new owner is serious about owning a dog. A new dog is a financial commitment, and if you cannot afford to pay an adoption fee, in my opinion, you cannot afford to own a dog.

Asking for a fee when adopting a pup is not something I ever thought of until seeing this board, but to me its an excellent idea and makes perfect sense.

LavenderRott
November 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I have had my dog for 7 years and I still have plenty of "use" for her. She is my companion and my friend. Even the thought of keeping her outside is repungnant to me. Dog house or no dog house.

I too, live in a mobile home, as do my husband, two (sometimes three) children, two dogs and a cat. Oh, and the frogs.

I certainly understand about wanting your children to be happy, but really, a puppy is a living thing and it has needs too. The only concern on this board is the needs of this puppy you would like to get.

Please be honest with yourself here, but if the shoe was on the other foot, what would you think? Someone you have never met before wants a free puppy delivered to them. You certainly didn't mention in your original post anything about vet care and grooming. Would you drop your dog off at someone's house based on your original post? I think not. Or at least I hope not.

My kids want a lot of things. Life is rough and we don't always get what we want. Heck, I am still waiting for that million dollars to appear in my bank account.

sammiec
November 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I am a little offended by this, not very much, but a little...I feel you're trying to have us pitty you. IMO, people which "have no use for their pet anymore" as you so affectionately put it, I can see them wanting to gain something for it - like money.
We do have feelings, we're not cold hearted. We care about animals and people too.... but you're turning this around to make it seem like we're ganging up on you and trying to insinuate that you're a bad pet owner. We merely suggesting that you consider other options, because people here that have experience and also have apartments, lofts, and moblie homes keep their pets indoors. That is a concern to us and we have voiced that very poilitely I think.

If it's so important to your children to get you something that you really want for Chritmas, why don't you tell them that you're not interested in another dog and give them ideas of other items you would like...

lil_kirk
November 9th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Regarding the payment for a new pup:

When charging a nominal fee for a pup the owner is more than likely NOT making a profit as you have suggested babyboom. As far as I can tell, a lot of breeders do not even make a profit once you factor in the vaccinations, deworming, food and of course medical bills of the dame.

If someone bought a puppy and for one reason or another couldnt keep it then why would they want to simply GIVE this pup up for free. They too would have made a significant financial contribution and are justified in wanting to have some of that back (especially if it was an allergy situation in which case they may be moving to choose a so-called hypoallergenic dog which will again cost them money).

This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily want a dog that is free. Sometimes you truly do get what you pay for...perhaps a dog without its shots, with a parasite, with worms, or some other disease of which I am sure a few other poster's here can fill you in about. Not to mention the inherent problems within the dogs behaviour from poor breeding---agressiveness, yippy barking, poor socialization ,etc...

Dukieboy
November 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Ok in my humble opinion and I am going to be frank, if you can't afford a puppy you should not get a puppy. If you had no other animals I could see maybe trying to scrape by if it was an adoptee from the humane or a rescue. But you already have animals and kids to feed too! As for breaking your childrens hearts, simply insist that you don't want the puppy right now and mean it for the right reasons. You are the parent. Tell them something else you want that doesn't cost alot.

lil_kirk
November 9th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Ok in my humble opinion and I am going to be frank, if you can't afford a puppy you should not get a puppy. If you had no other animals I could see maybe trying to scrape by if it was an adoptee from the humane or a rescue. But you already have animals and kids to feed too! As for breaking your childrens hearts, simply insist that you don't want the puppy right now and mean it for the right reasons. You are the parent. Tell them something else you want that doesn't cost alot.

I agree. I'm confused as to why you're putting this pressure on your children to get you a puppy. Why did you ask your children for something you can't afford? Can you not put one of your cats on your lap instead of a new dog? Also, you say you will take this little dog with you everywhere---in what vehicle or capacity will you be able to travel with a smaller dog rather than a larger dog?

I don't mean to pick on you, I'm just confused and am therefore having trouble thinking of ways to assist in your situation.

Smaller dogs are restricted access to the same places larger dogs are....

Just a thought...

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I agree. I'm confused as to why you're putting this pressure on your children to get you a puppy.

Why did you ask your children for something you can't afford?
Can you not put one of your cats on your lap instead of a new dog?
Also, you say you will take this little dog with you everywhere---in what vehicle
or capacity will you be able to travel with a smaller dog rather than a larger dog?

I don't mean to pick on you, I'm just confused and am therefore having trouble thinking of ways to assist in your situation.
Smaller dogs are restricted access to the same places larger dogs are....

Just a thought...
1.)<I did NOT pressure my children into buying me a puppy! My kids WANT to get me a puppy. Plain and simple. Of course, they want one too, but they want it for me.>
2.)<Once again, I did not ask my kids to get me anything>
3.)<Sure, I can put my cats on my lap, they don't want to stay there.>
4.)< I will have my license on the 17th of this month>
5.)<A small dog can travel in a Suzuki Swift, and a large dog cannot>
6.)<You don't "mean" to pick on me, well, you are...nevermind>

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Babymoon, it feels as though you didn't even read a word of what sujean said. She made some extremely valid points that I feel you are ignoring, because its not what you want to hear.

The reason it is recommended to charge a small fee for a pup or a dog, even when putting up for adoption, is to show that the new owner is willing to put a financial commitment towards the dog. It has nothing to do with makinig a profit! It shows that the new owner is serious about owning a dog. A new dog is a financial commitment, and if you cannot afford to pay an adoption fee, in my opinion, you cannot afford to own a dog.

Asking for a fee when adopting a pup is not something I ever thought of until seeing this board, but to me its an excellent idea and makes perfect sense.
1.) I have listened to ever 'valid' point made from everyone. I don't believe that anyone has "listened" to me.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
So what are you going to do when you get a small dog and the big dog wants to be indoors too?

My outside dog, Milo, as i have mentioned Numerous times before, does not want to be indoors. He is 3 years old, and throughout those three years, he has never wanted to stay indoors.

sammiec
November 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
5.)<A small dog can travel in a Suzuki Swift, and a large dog cannot>
A small dog would then be a toy breed, right?? I don't think you are sure of what you're looking for.

Remember this:
Toy breed or very tiny dogs are not playthings for children. They are very fragile, easily injured and can be very defensive of any rough handling and are often not patient or good with children.

And you said:

There must be some sort of confusion. I never asked for a toy breed dog. Simply put, my kids are looking to get me a small puppy, so it is easier for me to care for.

A "small" puppy can turn into a "large" dog... therefore you're looking for a small dog(aka a toy breed).... please re-read Lucky's post above.....

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
A small dog would then be a toy breed, right?? I don't think you are sure of what you're looking for.

Remember this:

And you said

I am not looking for a toy breed. I do beleive I said that once already. I would prefer a dog that was no smaller/bigger than shih tzu, or jack russel terrier.

sammiec
November 9th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I am not looking for a toy breed. I do beleive I said that once already. I would prefer a dog that was no smaller/bigger than shih tzu, or jack russel terrier.

I give up. *backing away from thread*

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I give up. *backing away from thread*

What is the issue here?
So now I cannot take care of any dog at any size?
What is the real issue here?
My kids want to get my a gift, I could tell them no we don't have the money to buy one. So I ruin their xmas wish for me. Fine, I shall do that then.
My dog lives outdoors, where he wants to be, I shall force him to live indoors then, and listen to him whine, and cry, and bark, and pant himself into hyperventillation, just to make everyone here happy.
I shall force my cats to sit on my lap, so as I have something to comfort me, when my pain is uncontrollable.
Then I will pay $600+ dollars for a pet from a shelter or a pet store, that I won't love anymore than I would love a free one.
I mean that is the issue right? The only pet worth getting, I mean, the only pet that my kids should even consider getting for me, is one that has been bought. One that has pre-paid vet bills, and an un-ending supply of dog food. He/she shall never sleep outdoors (i wouldn't allow that anyway of a small dog), he/she shall never ride in a vehicle.
But, then again, I am not fit to care for an animal.
I assummed that by posting here, apparently I was sadly mistaken, that there were some decent humans left in this world, who could sympathize with my situation, and instead of trying to adopt out their animal, might consider giving it for free. I do not look at my animals and calculate how much money I have spent on them over the years. That is ridiculous. They are my family.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Remember this:

And you said:

A "small" puppy can turn into a "large" dog... therefore you're looking for a small dog(aka a toy breed).... please re-read Lucky's post above.....

okay, so the only small dog is a toy breed dog, is that what I hearing. Fine then, a toy breed dog. None of animals are "playthings". God

lil_kirk
November 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM
A shih tzu or jack russel are toy breed dogs--I think that is why people are giving up. They/we are confused because you seem to be misguided in the kind of do you want.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I have tried my best to make people understand, it is clear to me that no-one does. I shall leave this forum. I will discontinue my search for a "free" puppy, that deserves a loving home. I will tell my children that they cannot give me that gift this xmas, and hope they will understand.
Thank you for your support, or lack there of, and your comments and suggestions.
It was wrong of me to think that I could find some help here.
Thank you for your time.
babymoon

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 11:29 AM
A shih tzu or jack russel are toy breed dogs--I think that is why people are giving up. They/we are confused because you seem to be misguided in the kind of do you want.

It doesn't matter anymore.

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Do you realize how much energy a Jack Russell has??? ALOT////////// I am really finding it hard to believe you are 31 years old.....

Delirium
November 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM
If your kids want to give you a puppy but as a parent you know that you can't afford/support it at this point, you need to stand up and say no. Its for their best.

Dee

Dukieboy
November 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM
You don't have to leave the board because of this. You asked questions and got some answers. While perhaps you didn't find the support you were looking for around this you might find answers to other pet related questions. It really isn't personal its just on this issue no one could really support you for reasons I think everyone stated clearly. Ultimately however, its up to you and if your conviction is strong enough you will follow that conviction.

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I am loathe to say any more on this topic BUT you wrote:

"if you were suddenly in my position, although you love your pets, would you give them away, or would you do everything in your power to make sure they had shelter and food?"

I understand your situation is you WANT a dog? Is that not correct? If I were in a severe financial situation - and I am guessing most of us have endured hardships in our lives (financial and others) - and I already had pets, I'd find a way to care for them. But if I could not afford to purchase a pet, I'd have to accept that and look forward to the day I could. Call me a little too practical perhaps but one has to think not just of the fee but the pet's health (ie vet bills), food, toys, possible problems (it happens - the dog digs up the neighbour's favourite roses and take you to court :) ), lifespan (who will care for it if something happens to you?) and even catastrophic costs.

I always treat the pets I share my life with as an important life who needs me to give him or her what I can and depends on me if s/he is hurt and to prevent her from becoming pregnant or having possible illnesses.

I understand you want a dog but how do you even know that the small dog will be what you want? You also have to think of the dog (and perhaps you can train your other dog to like being indoors and be a great comfort to you. I cannot imagine he likes being outside ALL the time). I do not want to sound cruel in saying this but it will be very emotionally traumatic for that older larger dog to see another little one inside getting lots of love and attention while he remains neglected outdoors (and if yu do not give him equal treatment, he will be neglected).

I know you don't want to hear you cannot afford it but there are other options for your "comfort" and the children's happiness in finding you a dog. Teach them they can only buy what they can afford. (I was most unhappy when my mother said "NO, you cannot keep all four kittens" but it was an important lesson!".

You mentioned your sister is a vet. Perhaps she can recommend an alternative?

With your illness abd financial situation, perhaps you could foster a dog for a shelter organization or even help out your sister on the days you feel really well? Have you examined those alternatives?

Good luck in reaching your decision!

lexah
November 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I have tried my best to make people understand, it is clear to me that no-one does. I shall leave this forum. I will discontinue my search for a "free" puppy, that deserves a loving home. I will tell my children that they cannot give me that gift this xmas, and hope they will understand.
Thank you for your support, or lack there of, and your comments and suggestions.
It was wrong of me to think that I could find some help here.
Thank you for your time.
babymoon

Babymoon - I have a better idea. Don't tell your children they can't get you a puppy for christmas, tell them you don't WANT a puppy for christmas. Its really quite that simple. Tell them you would love, nothing more, for them to be creative and make something for you for Christmas. Tell them to put their love and energy into it. Tell them that would mean more than ANYTHING in the world to you.

If the issue is that the kids want to get you a puppy (not that you want one and are just trying to make an excuse) then this should work, correct?

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I am loathe to say any more on this topic BUT you wrote:

I understand your situation is you WANT a dog? Is that not correct?
If I were in a severe financial situation - and I am guessing most of us have endured hardships in our lives (financial and others) - and I already had pets, I'd find a way to care for them. But if I could not afford to purchase a pet, I'd have to accept that and look forward to the day I could. Call me a little too practical perhaps but one has to think not just of the fee but the pet's health (ie vet bills), food, toys, possible problems (it happens - the dog digs up the neighbour's favourite roses and take you to court :) ), lifespan (who will care for it if something happens to you?) and even catastrophic costs.

I always treat the pets I share my life with as an important life who needs me to give him or her what I can and depends on me if s/he is hurt and to prevent her from becoming pregnant or having possible illnesses.

I understand you want a dog but how do you even know that the small dog will be what you want? You also have to think of the dog (and perhaps you can train your other dog to like being indoors and be a great comfort to you. I cannot imagine he likes being outside ALL the time). I do not want to sound cruel in saying this but it will be very emotionally traumatic for that older larger dog to see another little one inside getting lots of love and attention while he remains neglected outdoors (and if yu do not give him equal treatment, he will be neglected).

I know you don't want to hear you cannot afford it but there are other options for your "comfort" and the children's happiness in finding you a dog. Teach them they can only buy what they can afford. (I was most unhappy when my mother said "NO, you cannot keep all four kittens" but it was an important lesson!".

You mentioned your sister is a vet. Perhaps she can recommend an alternative?

With your illness abd financial situation, perhaps you could foster a dog for a shelter organization or even help out your sister on the days you feel really well? Have you examined those alternatives?

Good luck in reaching your decision!

My children want to make this xmas special for them as well as me
Saying "no" to them IS an option
I AM 31
I have family and friends who can help care for me and my needs as well as my children and my pets, when needed, however highly unlikely that it will ever come to that, because I am quite capable still, and have a husband who too can help
My kids already know that they cannot buy what we cannot afford, that is why I was trying to help them find a dog for free, or for a small fee
Yes, my sister is a vet, as I already said, we have exhausted all other options
I couldn't foster a dog, and then have it adopted, as it would tear our hearts apart to say goodbye
The clinic my sister works for, does not allow 'helpers' who are not licensed
The dog we were hoping for will not be given sole attention to, as my other dog, gets plenty of attention, had you read my other posts, you would see that. He is outside, simply because he preferrs it outside, hard for you to believe, but I don't care. He hyperventillates when he comes inside, and whines until he goes back out.
I can afford the food, just as I have afforded the food for my cats and my other dog, and my kids, and myself
I can afford the vet treatments, as I can afford anything else, as it comes, we'll find the way

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Babymoon - I have a better idea. Don't tell your children they can't get you a puppy for christmas, tell them you don't WANT a puppy for christmas. Its really quite that simple. Tell them you would love, nothing more, for them to be creative and make something for you for Christmas. Tell them to put their love and energy into it. Tell them that would mean more than ANYTHING in the world to you.

If the issue is that the kids want to get you a puppy (not that you want one and are just trying to make an excuse) then this should work, correct?

yes, my KIDS want to get me a puppy. Beleive what you will. I give up on trying to defend myself, and prove to all you people that my intentions are pure and honest.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
You don't have to leave the board because of this. You asked questions and got some answers. While perhaps you didn't find the support you were looking for around this you might find answers to other pet related questions. It really isn't personal its just on this issue no one could really support you for reasons I think everyone stated clearly. Ultimately however, its up to you and if your conviction is strong enough you will follow that conviction.

Thank you.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM
If your kids want to give you a puppy but as a parent you know that you can't afford/support it at this point, you need to stand up and say no. Its for their best.

Dee

I can say "no", I don't want to. It's that simple. They know that I am sick. They want to make me happy. They want to comfort me, when they are not at home. My children are the best thing to ever happen to me, and if they feel so strongly about it, I am not going to be the one to take that away. This is why I wanted to help them. I thought that I could find a way, and pass the information along to a friend, who then could tell my kids, and they would have done something that makes them happy, and in doing so makes me happy.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Do you realize how much energy a Jack Russell has??? ALOT////////// I am really finding it hard to believe you are 31 years old.....

No, actually, I have no idea how much work a Jack Russel Terrier is, I've never had one. I am 31 years old. Born October 7, 1973, do the math. Must you be so rude.

lil_kirk
November 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I agree--this is no reason to leave. I'm sure if you ask around there will be others who can say they've posted questions that have provided an outburst of non-support for their inquiry. They are still here.

This is a great board for gathering information--keep asking questions if you have them. But please, don't expect people to jump on board with your ideas. Just as you are entitled to your opinions, views and intentions--so is everyone else.

Ultimately we all just want one thing--to see the animals happy and in a healthy environment for where they can prosper.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I agree--this is no reason to leave. I'm sure if you ask around there will be others who can say they've posted questions that have provided an outburst of non-support for their inquiry. They are still here.

This is a great board for gathering information--keep asking questions if you have them. But please, don't expect people to jump on board with your ideas. Just as you are entitled to your opinions, views and intentions--so is everyone else.

Ultimately we all just want one thing--to see the animals happy and in a healthy environment for where they can prosper.

Thank you. I just eflt that everyone was being ridiculous in assuming they new what was better for my family and needs, than us.

lexah
November 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
yes, my KIDS want to get me a puppy. Beleive what you will. I give up on trying to defend myself, and prove to all you people that my intentions are pure and honest.

Babymoon - I don't dispute your intentions. Telling your kids you don't want a puppy won't break their hearts. If you sit them down and tell them something ELSE that you would rather have than a puppy, they will understand. Ask them to make you something as I suggested. What is so wrong with that?

lexah
November 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM
I can afford the food, just as I have afforded the food for my cats and my other dog, and my kids, and myself
I can afford the vet treatments, as I can afford anything else, as it comes, we'll find the way

In my opnion, and I'm not trying to nit pick or be harsh, if you can afford the above, you can afford to pay an adoption fee. To me, an adoption fee is an up front "proof" of saying "I am willing to pay for this dog, because I know that it is a financial responsibility and I can afford it"

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Well they do,and i did not mean that to be rude,but you dont seem to be acting mature about it,tell your kids you would like something else.................................Who is the parent here????????????????????/

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 02:36 PM
I appreciate your comments and your suggestions, as well as your concerns. I can afford to do what I can afford to do. This is my business. It is also my perogotive to find an animal in need of care, and shelter, and love. If I would rather not have to pay for an animal, this does not make me less able to care for it, nor does it make me less responsible, nor does it make me a bad person. There are hundreds of families out there, in similar situations, who have gotten their animals for little to no cost, and they are wonderful caring people with equally wonderful pets. Because I would prefer to spend my money on food, shelter and care for my pet, rather than paying for one, does not make it any less significant. I am not being rude, crude, or unkind in any way when I say this, but if you MUST ask a fee for the adoption of a dog, is it because you would like to be reimbursed for doing something wonderful for that animal in order for it to be adopted, or because you just want to make a profit? Regardless of anyones answer here, it does not matter. The point is, I would love an animal whether it was paid for or not, and whether I get an animal for free or not, it will be taken care of. I don't care where I get the money from, when it comes down to the needs of my pets or my children, I have and always will provide the best quality of care and attention, regardless of my financial circumstances. If it were possible to find the perfect dog for my family that did not exceed an incredibly large amount of money, I would certainly pay to adopt the animal, however, this has not been the case. Everywhere that I have inquired about, they have been asking no less than $350. And this is the problem.

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Your sister works in a vet and cant help you out??????

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Your sister works in a vet and cant help you out??????

No, we have already tried.

LavenderRott
November 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Most rescue groups are run by working class people with families that love animals. Most of the animals they have up for adoption came to them from the local kill shelter and they had to pay money to get them out. Then there are health issues that must be taken care of, behavioral issues that must be dealt with before these animals can be adopted out to carefully screened families. And the same fee is charged for every animal regardless of the monies spent to get them into condition to be adopted out. Trust me, they are NOT making a profit.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Most rescue groups are run by working class people with families that love animals. Most of the animals they have up for adoption came to them from the local kill shelter and they had to pay money to get them out. Then there are health issues that must be taken care of, behavioral issues that must be dealt with before these animals can be adopted out to carefully screened families. And the same fee is charged for every animal regardless of the monies spent to get them into condition to be adopted out. Trust me, they are NOT making a profit.

thank you for informing me.

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Ok i want a dog soooo bad myself,but you almost seem borderline obsessed with this...I really dont get it,why does it HAVE to be right now or at x-mas????????? Does your other dog not make you happy enough.????

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Ok i want a dog soooo bad myself,but you almost seem borderline obsessed with this...I really dont get it,why does it HAVE to be right now or at x-mas????????? Does your other dog not make you happy enough.????

Because I don't have many xmas's left

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well i am sorry, i dont know what else to say.....Why not enjoy the pets you have now???

Delirium
November 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Realistically then, who is going to care for a puppy when you're deathly or ill or gone? We all need to make arrangements for this stuff, so i'm assuming you have as well?

What i'm hearing is that you want a puppy. I'm not on board with this kid thing. It would be different if they wanted a puppy as most kids do but this whole gift giving thing is odd. You need to make it clear that it can't happen right now and the whole "you don't want a puppy" thing seems to be the best solution.

Take joy in the animals you do have. You've got your hands mega full.

Dee

sujean
November 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Because I don't have many xmas's left

what is the reason that you do not have many christmas's left? b/c of fibromyalgia? fibromyalgia is not a death sentence. if you follow a regimen, you can live a long life.

melanie
November 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
;) babymoon welcome to the lions den. i am really sorry for all of this. but i do wish you luck in your quest for a new family member.

i know of a little pack of outdoor dogs, and there is one indoor dog. the outdoor dogs are very happy and love their life (they sleep in a large laundry that is attached to house). you could not get one of those dogs in the house, not if you dragged them, they hate beign in the house and have a wonderful life outside and in their laundry, the inside dog is a little maltese that has very sensitive feet and is a woose in general so doesnt like outside, the hard ground also hurts her paws. i tell you now ther is not a shred of animosity between the inside dog or the outside dog, and they all play happily and are all fed together in the laundry, matlese included, it is treated as the other dogs only it is too soft to live outside.

i personally understand that the world is made up of all different ppl with all different habbit and belief and i am happy to accept that, esp when the animal is happy nad helathy. i also understand and accept that we all have different views of how a dog should live, be treated and such. the ppl on this board are a small minority of very exceptional owners, t but not all owners are the same and that does not make one better than the other. so i truly believe different strokes for different folks.

having an illness does not stop you from owning adog, my mum has lung canncer and is said to have a shortlife expectancy (20yrs later). we recently got her a pup, max. yeah sure mum cant move much, is a bit slow and stuff but we make up for that and play with him all the time, mum is training him and he has done marvelous things for her, just having a companion in the days has made a great diff to mum, also the pup has meant she has something to focus on when alone, not her illness. dogs are wonderful for the ill, and cna do untold miracles for your life expectancy nad general health.but there is no guarantees in life, i could be hit by a truck tomorrow.

please do not take any of the comments on this thread to heart, it really is not worth the energy you will spend dealing with hurt feelings and sadness, just try and brush them of , water of a ducks back so to speak. i hope it all comes good, and i hope you find that special baby for xmas, good luck with it and i really do hope you have yourself and family a very merry christmas. chin up and brush it off :D ;)

Sneaky2006
November 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I'm not really understanding this either. Your kids want to get you a puppy as a gift, but you're ill and don't have many years left, and don't have much money. Am I totally missing something here? Why would you even consider this? I've been wanting a dog for some time now... I got my son and husbands hopes up one too many times but the dogs in question were adopted out already but in the mean time I realized that we couldn't afford one right now, so it was for the best. We are ok money wise, but we still aren't going to get one because it's not a great situation. We have cats now that we're caring for and I'm very lucky nothing has happened to them.
You need to think about your kids well being and the animals you already have first. Things can certainly snowball when you least expect it. And it wouldn't be fair to any one of them if something should happen, to them, or you. I know if something would happen to me, my cats would be well taken care of, do you know that about your animals, AND the future ones? You've said you want something to cuddle with on the couch, something to make you feel better... you also said your cats don't stay in your lap for long... how do you know that a puppy, or dog would? So if the new pup doesn't stay in your lap (the main reason you want one) will you get another one and try again for a lap dog? That's not very smart considering your situation.
We all understand your kids wanting to get you a puppy, but you can just as easily say you changed your mind, that it would be easier for you if you didn't have another to take care of.
I had to tell my son (and husband) that we can't get a dog, and I don't know if we ever will, do you really think he hates me now or something? He understands, just like he understood when I told him he couldn't have a pony.

oscar's mom
November 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I just recently adopted a dog from the pound ($10) becasue I couldn't afford to pay $600 for a dog and personally think that is ridiculous to begin with. There are plenty of adoptable (free) dogs out there that need homes. Of course he came with no shots, but he immediately got a trip to the vet. It took a while to find the right dog because I also wanted a small dog and all I could find was large breeds. This is my 2nd pound puppy and they make the best pets and don't have all these health problems of "expensive" dogs that have been bred too much. Just keep checking at the local pound and don't feel you have to explain yourself. This board is here to ask questions and get answers.

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Gawd, I promised I;d say nothing more so as not to up my blood pressure BUT there are so many incorrect assumptions being made here.

You wrote:
"Because I don't have many xmas's left"

and that people wanted money for profit for puppies or something to that effect.

Re: the first. How do you know you are the only one here with only so many Xmases left? Many of us have life threatening illnesses. It is absolutely the WRONG reason to get a dog.

And Fibromyalgia is not fatal unless there is another illness but that is your business.

How wil lyou provide for your puppy when you die if you are so ill? Will you set up a trust? (Most rescues do not adopt to people with very serious illnesses mostly because how will the dog be cared for later? And your children will grow up and leave home and if this is your dog....they may not feel responsible for it.)

I just adopted a Siamese (It was expensive yes but I also established a trust at the bank in case something should happen to me and ensured my sister -who understands Siamese, could care for it if something happened to me - I have a rather serious illness as well but am doing well at the moment. )

And really, having been through what I have and in my work at a Childrens' hospital, I think we NEVER know how many Xmases we have left so that comment I have to say offends me, If you were seeking my sympathy, I only would think how irresponsible it is to make that kind of comment when you look for a pet which is a LIFETIME committment. It saddens me greatly!!!! Would you have a child with your illness?

As to the second - and I am not associated with any rescue - tho I hope to help one with some web development - Rescues ask fees because the animal is worth something and they spend much money on aniamls that need veternary care that they may not have received as strays or castaways.

I find your comments very upsetting and this is ALL I will say!!

Copper'sMom
November 9th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Very well put Melanie!! :thumbs up I completely agree. I really didn't want to get involved in this thread but you said what was on my mind!

Writing4Fun
November 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
This board is here to ask questions and get answers.
That's exactly right. The question was "Does anyone have a free puppy I can have?" and the answer was "Sorry, but no". Why didn't it end there??

melanie
November 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM
can this thread get locked, everything that is to be said has been. :crazy:

CyberKitten
It did not end because we all know about those free to good home ads and have seen too many animals suffer needlessly. She may be well intentioned but why invoke sympathy to get a free pet? My goal in life is to be caring and understanding of others but her comments really offended me, sighhhhhhhh!!

These are also the kind of questions a reputable rescue organization would ask? Can you provide for the pet? Do you have other pets and so on.

That's it, no more from me.

sammiec
I second that Melanie..

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM
LR, can we close this discussion? It HAS gotten unto another track.....

Speaking of which , has anyone ever read Cat Trapper's Blog. It is a wonderful account by a woman who lives on the margins of life - ex psychiatric patient, on income assistance - who traps cats for rescue groups and feral help groups - and about her experiences. She is great writer and it is very poignant!!

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I just recently adopted a dog from the pound ($10) becasue I couldn't afford to pay $600 for a dog and personally think that is ridiculous to begin with. There are plenty of adoptable (free) dogs out there that need homes. Of course he came with no shots, but he immediately got a trip to the vet. It took a while to find the right dog because I also wanted a small dog and all I could find was large breeds. This is my 2nd pound puppy and they make the best pets and don't have all these health problems of "expensive" dogs that have been bred too much. Just keep checking at the local pound and don't feel you have to explain yourself. This board is here to ask questions and get answers.

Thank you for understanding me and my point. This IS the point I was trying to make. Was just wondering if anyone knew where I could do the same.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Gawd, I promised I;d say nothing more so as not to up my blood pressure BUT there are so many incorrect assumptions being made here.

You wrote:
"Because I don't have many xmas's left"

Re: the first. How do you know you are the only one here with only so many Xmases left? Many of us have life threatening illnesses. It is absolutely the WRONG reason to get a dog.

And Fibromyalgia is not fatal unless there is another illness but that is your business.

How wil lyou provide for your puppy when you die if you are so ill? Will you set up a trust? (Most rescues do not adopt to people with very serious illnesses mostly because how will the dog be cared for later? And your children will grow up and leave home and if this is your dog....they may not feel responsible for it.)

I just adopted a Siamese (It was expensive yes but I also established a trust at the bank in case something should happen to me and ensured my sister -who understands Siamese, could care for it if something happened to me - I have a rather serious illness as well but am doing well at the moment. )

And really, having been through what I have and in my work at a Childrens' hospital, I think we NEVER know how many Xmases we have left so that comment I have to say offends me, If you were seeking my sympathy, I only would think how irresponsible it is to make that kind of comment when you look for a pet which is a LIFETIME committment. It saddens me greatly!!!! Would you have a child with your illness?

As to the second - and I am not associated with any rescue - tho I hope to help one with some web development - Rescues ask fees because the animal is worth something and they spend much money on aniamls that need veternary care that they may not have received as strays or castaways.

I find your comments very upsetting and this is ALL I will say!!

Yes, I do have a fatal disease, which I will not go into, because it IS my business, that is not the issue at hand. I do not wish for anyone to feel sorry for me. Having a pet, as well as children are a lifetime committment, I have 3 animals, and 3 children. All of whom have been taken care of in the even that anything should happen to me. And that is all you need to say.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM
;) babymoon welcome to the lions den. i am really sorry for all of this. but i do wish you luck in your quest for a new family member.

i know of a little pack of outdoor dogs, and there is one indoor dog. the outdoor dogs are very happy and love their life (they sleep in a large laundry that is attached to house). you could not get one of those dogs in the house, not if you dragged them, they hate beign in the house and have a wonderful life outside and in their laundry, the inside dog is a little maltese that has very sensitive feet and is a woose in general so doesnt like outside, the hard ground also hurts her paws. i tell you now ther is not a shred of animosity between the inside dog or the outside dog, and they all play happily and are all fed together in the laundry, matlese included, it is treated as the other dogs only it is too soft to live outside.

i personally understand that the world is made up of all different ppl with all different habbit and belief and i am happy to accept that, esp when the animal is happy nad helathy. i also understand and accept that we all have different views of how a dog should live, be treated and such. the ppl on this board are a small minority of very exceptional owners, t but not all owners are the same and that does not make one better than the other. so i truly believe different strokes for different folks.

having an illness does not stop you from owning adog, my mum has lung canncer and is said to have a shortlife expectancy (20yrs later). we recently got her a pup, max. yeah sure mum cant move much, is a bit slow and stuff but we make up for that and play with him all the time, mum is training him and he has done marvelous things for her, just having a companion in the days has made a great diff to mum, also the pup has meant she has something to focus on when alone, not her illness. dogs are wonderful for the ill, and cna do untold miracles for your life expectancy nad general health.but there is no guarantees in life, i could be hit by a truck tomorrow.

please do not take any of the comments on this thread to heart, it really is not worth the energy you will spend dealing with hurt feelings and sadness, just try and brush them of , water of a ducks back so to speak. i hope it all comes good, and i hope you find that special baby for xmas, good luck with it and i really do hope you have yourself and family a very merry christmas. chin up and brush it off :D ;)

God Bless You. This is all I was trying to say. There are some people who do understand. Thank you. Sincerely, babymoon:)

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 04:59 PM
If you want to close this thread, by all means do so, it seems that somewhere along the way, I have made my decision, and that is all that matters in the long run.
I thank you all for your compassion, concern, suggestions, and comments, even the hurtful ones.
And I will leave you with this:

Sitting in the darkest corner of my mind, lives an empty box
in this empty box, I plan to keep my memories
My memories that I've created of times gone by
The times when I were the happiest
When I was happiest, I see myself there
Sitting in the shade of a tree
A tree that grew through all my years
The years that I was in pain
The pain I had that melted away
Away to the darkest corner of my mind
The corner where there lives an empty box.
babymoonemail me (babymoon@telus.net)
Take Care each and everyone of you!

Luvmypit
November 9th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Sorry that everyone is on you, they mean it in the most concerned way. Its hard to understand any dog likes to be outside from people who sleep with their dogs (that would be me). As long as his needs are met and you make sure he never gets too cold or hot. Maybe take him in atleast once a day or just for the night. Couldn't he fit in there while you all are sleeping? Lie at the front door? Its your dog and your choice and no one should beat you up for it but I do agree dogs shouldn't be exclusively outside animals. It would be best to even just to allow him in at night just for his safety and who doesn't want a large dog guarding their door? Just a suggestion. For the smaller dog it again is your choice. But I would if you can allow your other one inside at night... i know i keep saying that but I think its best for everyone.
Good luck

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Sorry that everyone is on you, they mean it in the most concerned way. Its hard to understand any dog likes to be outside from people who sleep with their dogs (that would be me). As long as his needs are met and you make sure he never gets too cold or hot. Maybe take him in atleast once a day or just for the night. Couldn't he fit in there while you all are sleeping? Lie at the front door? Its your dog and your choice and no one should beat you up for it but I do agree dogs shouldn't be exclusively outside animals. It would be best to even just to allow him in at night just for his safety and who doesn't want a large dog guarding their door? Just a suggestion. For the smaller dog it again is your choice. But I would if you can allow your other one inside at night... i know i keep saying that but I think its best for everyone.
Good luck
Thank you for your statement. Yes, my dog comes in from time to time throughout the day, but like I mentioned before, he does not like it. To keep him in all night long, I feel would be cruel to him, as he literally hyperventillhates when he stays inside for longer than 30 minutes. So, he goes outside, and runs around, and enjoys it greatly.

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 05:19 PM
He hyperventilates?????????????/ Come on.Something is really wrong here..................

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM
He hyperventilates?????????????/ Come on.Something is really wrong here..................

You know what, you do not know my dog. Don't assume that you do, he hyperventilhates. Believe it or not. He does. He gets himself so worked up about being inside.

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Ok i am done here,......Good luck....................

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Hyperventilation in dogs is a clinical sign of hyperthyroidism. Perhaps your dog is trying to tell you something. Has your sister the vet evaluated him? It CAN be a sign of heat stress but that occurs usually in dogs left alone in cars of severe heat. (Panting and hyperventilating are not the same thing but I am sure you know this).

As a child, we had a beautiful Siberian Husky and he - like most winter dogs- tolerated heat very well. It is considered cruel to leave even the musher dogs outside and there is as you may be aware that there is a campaign to end that cruel practice (rather like the people in England who breed beagles for hunst).

So, clearly it would seem your dog has some problem that must be evaluated by the vet. It is fortunate you have a sister a vet! I am a human doctor by profession - not a doggie one - but here is a good article about heat stress:

http://www.t-rescue.com/articles/heat_stress/

If he is an elderly dog, you must have him checked out for throid problems. I am not trying to tell you what to do, just advise you since you say you are concerned for their well being.

I respect your wishes to keep him outside but if it is as cold as it is in New Brunswick, it is a myth that dogs (even the Arctic breeds like my my childhood Siberian whose name was Sandy - what a wonderful dog he was!!!) can withstand cold temperatures. Their paws get frostbitten, they suffer hypothermia and they live less longer than other dogs.

Just some things to consider though it is up to you.

babymoon
November 9th, 2004, 10:50 PM
end this thread

badger
November 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
No, I'm just getting started. Cyberkitten I have this pain...lol

Hound_Dog
November 10th, 2004, 02:25 AM
You could always phone a vet here is Korea....They seem to always have unwanted dogs. Most of them would fit on your lap. I got Cafri, my beautiful Dalmation and Soju, my furball-esque Shi Tzu for nothing. I've had them for about a year now. Of course, shipping a dog to you might be expensive...hehe

squarejane
November 10th, 2004, 02:46 AM
cyberkitten said: "I just adopted a Siamese (It was expensive yes but I also established a trust at the bank in case something should happen to me
and ensured my sister -who understands Siamese, could care for it if something happened to me - I have a rather serious illness as well but am doing well at the moment. )"

cool... your sister, does she speak mandarin too? :crazy:

this is one odd thread. i feel for you babymoon but like many have said, i think you may just have your hands full... no judgement here, but just the 3 kids in a trailer alone might be enough to keep ME in bed. (i don't mean to make light of your situation either so pls don't take my silly sense of humour to heart)

i too would love a dog. would make my often sick little daughter's christmas special but i think what many here are trying to say is that we can't always get what we want because in the end, something or someone or somebills may just slip through the cracks.

good luck darlin and try not to get too defensive. these guys just love their animals like a mother loves their children and so they speak to protect. hang in there and good health to you and to cyberkitten as well.

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Hi Babymoon....Like Melanie....I too understand about your outside dog (what breed is it I never saw it mentioned do you have a pic?)

My daughters boyfriends family have 2 lab mixes and they are wonderful happy and well loved dogs. The other night I was there and saw their reaction to being brought inside. It was chilly out and me being a dog lover I asked for them to be brought in so I could pet and play with them. I was told before how they liked to be outside rather than inside, and like many here I thought to myself ...."ya right"
He opened the door and called the dogs (free to roam the property) they came to the door and stopped there....like to say.... "ya what would you like, what have we done, got any treats?" He told them to come in.....they did.....made a few rounds for pats and not 5 minutes went by and they both went to the door and proceeded to whine one started to bark very loudly and almost demanding and these dogs had been out all day and night!! :eek: They had no desire to stay in and enjoy the warmth of the fire as we were they wanted to go out and do whatever it is that they do out there. So if your dog enjoys being out then let him enjoy it :thumbs up

As for a new puppy :rolleyes: My daughter just got a new puppy a few months ago and then found out she was preggers...This puppy has turned out to be more than she bargained for she wanted to sleep and rest lately as she is not well the dog however wanted to jump all over her and play and is very demanding and insistant all day long with sleeping being the only break from him :( I understand you have alot of people to help you with the puppy but that will wear thin soon enough leaving you to care for him ......Hope your up to it :confused:

babymoon
November 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
My Dog Milo:
My Eldest Cat Homer:
My Youngest Cat Blitzen:
My website and links to my other websites:
http://babymoon.canadianwebs.com/

Dukieboy
November 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Nice pix! Beautiful animals, and kids too!

babymoon
November 10th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Nice pix! Beautiful animals, and kids too!

Thank you!

chico2
November 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Nice to see your animals,Blitzen is a beauty,but aren't they all :crazy:
Cute Kiddies too...

elmoy
November 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Hi Babymoon

I just have to say, Milo looks exactly like a dog we used to have when I was a kid. We lived in the country and that dog would NOT stay indoors. He hated it! We would bring him in at nights when it was cold and he would lie by the door and whine and pant. It was something else. So we did the next best thing, we made sure his dog house was big, insulated and against the wind. He was a happy dog! We still tried to bring him in, but he was so unhappy! So, I totally understand your dog Milo. :thumbs up

As for the puppy, I wish you luck in finding what you want. If I could, I would have tons of dogs in my house. And I live in a mini home (16 x 72).

have a nice day!

babymoon
November 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Hi Babymoon

I just have to say, Milo looks exactly like a dog we used to have when I was a kid. We lived in the country and that dog would NOT stay indoors. He hated it! We would bring him in at nights when it was cold and he would lie by the door and whine and pant. It was something else. So we did the next best thing, we made sure his dog house was big, insulated and against the wind. He was a happy dog! We still tried to bring him in, but he was so unhappy! So, I totally understand your dog Milo. :thumbs up

As for the puppy, I wish you luck in finding what you want. If I could, I would have tons of dogs in my house. And I live in a mini home (16 x 72).

have a nice day!

Lol, nice to see I'm not the only one!