Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tea tree oil

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I have read that Tea Tree oil is toxic to dogs and cats and other animals. Is this true?

It sucks if it is, because that stuff is amazing.

If you have dry skin in the winter, or dry scalp, buy the 100% pure oil. Put a few drops in the shampoo in your hand and mix it around before you put it in your hair. Same with the conditioner. I had really bad dry itchy scalp for years. I tried dandruff shampoos, even prescription cortizone for the scalp. None worked. It was only the tea tree oil that helped. I use it from October to about May. The smell is strong, but totally worth it!

Lately, I started putting a few drops in with my shower gel and my skin doesn't feel as tight and dry. I think I am also going to purchase some tea tree oil lotion as well.

Just thought I would pass on the knowledge! (It also works great on toe and finger nails to keep them soft!)

Chatocat
November 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I use the Tea Tree Oil Shampoo on my oldest daughter who just started school this year. She has come home twice with lice. Between the lice treatments (as you wait 7 to 10 days for the second application) we use the tea tree oil shampoo and the nit comb and since I've done this, she hasn't gotten lice again. I do wash her hair in it every other night now and have since passed on the information to the school.

I should go and get some of the oil though, I always have dry skin. Thanks so much for sharing this info!!!

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I know it is toxic to cats I am not sure about dogs but I would avoid it until you can find out for sure.

GunnerX
November 8th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I just bought a shampoo for dogs that has Tea Tree Oil in it. I highly doubt they would sell it if it was toxic for them.

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM
I highly doubt they would sell it if it was toxic for them.

Yes, it would be nice to think that manufacturers of pet products wouldn't sell products harmful to pets, but they do. "Hartz" in particular is very bad for this.

Tea tree oil is included in some products for cats, and it is toxic to cats.

goldenblaze
November 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I have a tea tree oil spray that I've used on boths boys and it works great. It is for any number of thing and I do know it comes in some shampoo too. Great for itching and any kind of burn on animals. My groomer told me about it for Jordie itchy feet in the summer, used it for about 3 yrs no problem.
Maybe if you are unsure check with your Vet, I do that myself often since it is your Vet that really knows your pet. ;)

melanie
November 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
if taken internally i think it would be toxic and kill the best of us. but for dogs as a topical treatment it can be great, but concentrated oil is never to be used, diluted and put in shampoo is great for fleas and coat helth. i do the same with euc oil. i use baby shampoo on my doggie, she does not like the harsh chemicals against her skin and she dries out very fast in summer too and gets nasty hot spots, so i try and take that extra care of her skin and coat o avoid the bad skin and yucky painful hotspots.. a few drops in her shampoo works wonders for her skin and it helps the fleas. in the past when flea infestation is eally bad apart from feeding her regular garlic, i will put a bit of really diluted tea tree on her bed (vacuming is also the greatest remedy for fleas).

as far as humans go, tea tree has a zillion uses and is a very versatile product, the company 'Thursday Plantation' is australias largest producer of teatree products and boy oh boy, i went to their plantation and shop recently, my god i never would have thought of half of those uses. and i have a great product here that is a touch on stick that is great for those ruddy pimples on a saturday night, one swipe with the stick and they just disapear like magic.

oh and thursady plantation have some great topical products for dogs, they can be found at their web site along with a miriad of interesting information.

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I've used Flea-Flea Bar Soap on both Den-Den and Puss-Puss for years. It has teatree in it and works wonderfully. Never had skin problems or fleas. It used to say that the bar contained nothing that dogs or cats couldn't eat, but I notice in recent years the label doesn't say that anymore. Neither Den-Den, nor Puss, have ever tried to lick the suds. I'm careful to rinse thoroughly.

Goldenmom
November 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Tree Tea Oil is excellent for cleaning ears etc. on dogs. Only use in a diluted form, not full strength.

Heather

Iggette
November 9th, 2004, 07:04 AM
My daughter once had a bottle of tea tree scrub from the body shop that she kept in the shower.....I tried it once and continued to finish the bottle :o I liked it so much !! The smell actually didn't bother me I thought it was kind of refreshing.
I love the body shop fragrences oceanous has always been my favorite.
I also love those oils that you put a tealite under and warm up , then it fills your home with yummy smells :thumbs up

squarejane
November 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM
hey chatocat! you are so right, teatree oil is excellent for lice issues. i'm a hairdresser and just went to my daughter's school this morning to do the monthly lice check. my daughter came home last year with lice. the rix barely did a thing but teatree treatment from hollista worked wonders. now i put teatree oil in the hood of her coat so that when the little coats are all hung together at school she doesn't pick up any hitch-hikers.

doggab
November 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
if taken internally i think it would be toxic and kill the best of us.

Tree Tea Oil is excellent for cleaning ears etc. on dogs. Only use in a diluted form, not full strength.

Both you ladies are absolutely correct! One of my dogs visited the vet early this year and we discussed ear cleaning solutions. I mentioned that I was using a solution with tea tree oil as one of the main ingredients and she nearly flipped, stating that it may be dangerous for my dog. I checked a few search engines and found that it's generally ok to use topically, but if ingested may be fatal. And that affects both humans as well as our fur babies.

Tea Tree Oil works wonders but please use your discretion when using this product ;) .

melanie
November 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
and if your interested in a new venture, there is so much money to be made from tea tree oil, a freind of mine grows his own small crops for local sale, he gets about $40 a litre for the oil, he does not need a big crop to make a bit of money, but the extraction process is tricky, sticky and time consuming. :crazy: :love: