Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Testing Diamond on a diet including chicken

GsdDiamond
November 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Well, we started off by giving her a test of Beneful (a sample pack we got from the store), which contained chicken, on Friday night for supper. Result: no signs of chicken allergy - no scratching, no red ears.

Saturday, give her another sample pack of Beneful and cup of her usual dog food, both for Breakfast and for Supper. Result: no signs of chicken allergy - no scratching, no red ears.

Sunday, give her the same Breakfast as Saturday with same results. I go to the store and pick up a bag of Nutro Puppy food, which contains a good amount of chicken. Use that in her meal instead of the Beneful. Same results....no signs of allergic reaction.

So....since the Vet said that if she got into food containing chicken she'd show signs of a reaction almost immediately, I'm taking this to mean that so doesn't have a chicken allergy....but rather it's seasonal allergies instead.

Would you all assume the same? Or would you wait a few more days of eating chicken to draw a firm conclusion?

*please don't jump on me for feeding her the Beneful. we only used it to introduce her to chicken.* - I mean...have you read that list of ingredients? Nasty!

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I would keep it up for a couple of more days just to be sure. It does sound promising though I think you would have had some kind of reaction by now. Good luck

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I thought chicken was easy to digest and bland. When Den-Den had HGE, the vet suggested cooked chicken breast for treats. Are chicken allergies common?

GsdDiamond
November 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM
From what I've read, it's not a super common allergy, but it just happened to be the first food we tried to eliminate since she didn't seem to like the canned chicken dog food like she did the others.

This is day #3 on a chicken inclusive diet. So far, no tell tail signs of allergies. She's got a bit more scratching than normal, but she's due for a bath, so I'm chalking it up to just being dirty.

She is, however, pooping more than usual. But I'm attributing that to the change in diet.

Keeping my fingers crossed here. It would be so nice since she loves the new cookies I bought for her. She stands by the table they're on and whines and sniffles for them. It's so cute!