Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vomiting Chihuahua

weigelbrood
November 8th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I have a chihuahua and terrier mix. She weighs #12. She is eating about 1 cup per day (dry dog food - Science Diet). She is about 4-5 years old. We got her from a city pound about 3 months ago. She has been to the vet several times for all her shots, vaccines and spaying.

Since we have had her, she tends to vomit most nights or when she is left alone for extended periods of time. The vomit is foamy, mostly white, but very often is yellow. We asked the vet about it and took in a sample. They said it was bile because she has no food in her stomach.

She also has a snorting/reverse sneeze? that she does very often. Could they be associated? This is more of an annoyance than a problem... She does this when she is excited, but it also can occur while she is resting/sleeping.

Please help!

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Opps! I posted something because I read it wrong!

Sounds like some kind of acid reflux?? I don't know if dogs have that though.

Maybe the dog is eating something/drinking something they aren't supposed to while you are gone?

I read on a couple of places that vomiting clear liquid indicates there is some stomach irritant. Maybe try a healthier food? I heard that a diet of avacado, chicken, and brown rice is best for Chihuahuas.

Vomiting can also be a sign of stress, so since it happens when you are gone, maybe the dog is stressed and vomitting? Could be separation anxiety?

BMDLuver
November 8th, 2004, 10:48 AM
We had a spaniel/terrier mix for 14 years. He would do this reverse sneeze, kind of choking thing ... seemed to be almost hyper ventilation... all his life. He would do it when very anxious. We would talk to him and pet him to get him to relax and it would stop. Our vets indicated that it was nerves and to make him comfortable when it happened. Perhaps your chi is the same way.
I hope you find out what is wrong with your little girl and that she overcomes these problems.

GsdDiamond
November 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Vomiting bile is also an indication of allergies. Does she have a fever? (are her ears and pads of feet hot?) Diarrhea? Red ears? It's possible that something she's allergic to could be causing a kind of athsma type of reaction.

Or, as others here have said, it's possible she's just overly sensitive to the food and changing the food can help tremendeously. Small breed dogs are also prone to collapsed trachea. You'll want to have her checked for that if the Vet hasn't already suggested it. Or maybe the vomitting is caused by stress brought on by the trouble breathing. There are so many possibilities.

Please let us know how the little pup is doing! Poor thing is probably scared.

lil_kirk
November 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I've also heard from Chi owners that this breed can be more prone to vomitting. They have very little bodies and for some odd reason they tend to vomit much more than other doggies.

Something to mention too is that this dog has just had a new change of lifestyle---for a chi this can be very traumatic. They are a one owner kind of dog---they love for life but can want exclusive reign of you. If they've just lost their "exclusive" owner they may simply be experiencing some sort of upheaval reaction.

Lastly--from what I know and my experience with chi's they tend to get very excited and active. They are truly a big dog in a little body. Since they don't know their limits maybe your little guy/gal is simply just over doing it?

My two cents...

Good luck I hope the little one feels better soon!

cherylanne
November 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM
i'm no expert but i do own a chu/lapso mix. dog looks more chuia. she weighs about 7lbs. she does the same things you discribe, the sneezing is common for them,espically when they are exicited, she goes through stages with the vomiting she is probaly lonely when you are away just keep showing her lots of affection because they are very afectionate dogs good luck

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 07:02 PM
12 lb seems a bit heavy for a Chi. Does she eat several small meals or 1 big meal?

rebel24
November 10th, 2004, 06:42 AM
I thought avacado was very bad for dogs of any breed?

xahv
November 10th, 2004, 08:42 AM
it might be because they are nervous.

try bringing your dog and letting them sleep next to your bed.

raingirl
November 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I just looked up on one site and the man was a self proclaimed "chihuahua expert" and he suggested some recipes for avacado/chicken/brown rice mixes.

I guess you can't trust everything on the internet.