Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First snow

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Well I woke up this morning to find snow on the ground, this is Buddy first winter and my son took buddy out for a special romp in the snow he just loved it

here is the veiw from my computer room....not tons of snow but it is the start......thank god we just finished the weather sealing on the outside of the house yeaterday :)

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Wow iggette thanks for sharing do you normally get snow this early?

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Hey Iggette. I just noticed you live in Sunderland. That used to be our "meeting place" when driving up north to my ex-boyfriends cottage. On holidays we would go up there (Kirkland) and stop at the gas station..hwy 24 maybe? It's right at the end of the main street in Sunderland where it meets the highway.

We usually have snow here on and off from mid November to December. Usually sometime in december we get a big snow that lasts the rest of winter.

lilith_rizel
November 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM
That picture is pretty. I hope we get snow here soon, but I don't think we will get any at all until next month. It was hot out yesterday. I really wish I still lived in Minnesota!

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM
we had it last year in northampron england it was just a covering and brought eht whole place to a stand still lol! People seem to have a difference of oppion here with snow some say its awful others say its not to bad. Im hoping we will have a mild winter help me adjust lol!

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, Sunderland!! I went to school in Lindsay, I had a great time up there. I have a college friend that lives in Sunderland! No snow here yet (GTA), but I hear there's some by my mom's house! (Walkerton)....

Dukieboy
November 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM
yup, no snow here yet but there was wet snow in newmarket last eve. I can't wait for Duke to see S N O W !!!

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 09:53 AM
My best friend is living in Northern England (Durham) now and she said Winter there is NOTHING like it is here.

I will warn you Jackie, be prepared! Buy longjohns and waterprrof winter boots! My friend said she had maybe 3 days total of heavy snow and real cold (but even at that, wasn't as cold as here) where she is in England last year. She said your winter is like our late fall. I will hope for a mild winter, but it never happens. Plus, they predict this year will be worse than last, and it was COLD last year. I think you live west of the GTA right? Well, that's the "snow belt". That means you get twice as much snow as east of the GTA.

If you want an idea of how to dress the kids, rent a copy of "A Christmas Story". THat movie is exactly how my childhood was. I was five when it came out, and it immediately became a favourite. I love Randy!! We even have Chinese of Christmas because of it!!

Last year, most days were minus 20C with the wind chill, sometimes into the thirties or fourties (colder than that at night) and on average, there is always a foot of snow on the ground.

I love winter and hate winter at the same time. My problem is I have to wear business clothes to work, but they get dirty from the slush, or they are too cold. If I wear longjohns, I have to take them off at work which is a hastle, as is changing when I get to work, and before I go home. I walk 10 minutes to the train, but the rest of the time I'm inside. It's just that 10 minutes that bothers me!

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Jackie when you go shopping for winter wear remember the word goose down filled. Trust me on this one it is the warmest. Since it gets so bleedin cold here and waterproof boots nothing is worse than wet cold feet. Welcome to Canada. Winter sucks

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Were we lived in England you didnt get snow all that often if you did it would be gone in a day or two and it was only a covering. So yes this year will be a great shock lol!! i have bought snow jackets trousers snow boots for us all and i really hope its a mild winter for here everyone said it was a awful summer. Anyway i do like the snow for skiing etc just not used to it!

thanks i think i might hibanate lol

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM
jackieb... All I have heard so far is... this winter is going to be a bad one :( I fear that comment as we have a huge driveway, one that takes hours and hours to shovel out of in a heavy snow....last year we had a guy come over with a snowplow on his pickup it took him an hour and a half to do a half a$$ed job because there are so many up and downs in the drive it is very difficult to plow. Then a good samaritan brought over a snow blower this huge machinery that blows the snow away and he did it in 5 minutes I hope we can find out where this guy lives and pay him to do it this year

raingirl... I believe that would be the Pinders Sunoco station at 10 and hwy 12....lol ya our town is not that big huh?

sammiec.... cool....my daughter tried a course at Sir Sanford Flemming but found it very difficult....she is now in a apprentiship in Uxbrdge for hairdressing......Gee I wonder if I know your girlfriend :)

here is a pic of our driveway that I fear I might be shoveling soon , the woman that lived here before used to park her car at the end of the drive in winter to make sure she had no troubles getting to work on time which is something I may have to consider :(

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM
and my hubby was moaning about the paths we have to clear round the house. He is not looking forward to it due to the commute to toronto!

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM
yes it is very long and with fields on both sides the snow drifts were like 5 ft high at spots :eek: I think our driveway is the main reason I hate to see it snow

Writing4Fun
November 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
*Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the...* Ooops! Sorry. Is it too early for that just yet? :o

We woke up to a lovely blanket of snow, and it's been snowing all day. We took video footage of Phoebe's first encounter with snow this morning. She loved it! :crazy: Ran around like a fool for half an hour. But then she came inside and realized that she had little balls of it stuck to her legs and between her toes. So she started doing that funny little kicking walk that cats do when they get their feet wet. :D

Iggette: Our driveway isn't nearly as long as yours, but it's big enough to get a groan outta hubby with every snowfall. So I allowed (yeah, 'cause I had a choice :rolleyes: ) him to buy a 4-wheeler (cheap, used). He built a plow for the front of it, bought some chains for the tires, and voila! Instant man-toy to get him motivated!

goldenblaze
November 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
You photo is really nice, I love snow it makes the trees like so nice, today we have snow too and Blaze loved it. First time seeing it and he loved to catching the snowballs, Jordie hates snow, too close to the ground I think. :)

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I'd like to experience watching it snow and pile up on the ground around here. But, don't want to see my outdoor plants freeze. We do have snow in the hills. I love to make up a thermos of ice-cream mix and take it up to the snow. We scoop up a large bowl of clean snow and pour it over like a snow cone. Love it!

jackieb
November 9th, 2004, 06:21 AM
we had a little snow yesterday my boys were so exicited well the older 2 it was only a tiny amount!

I said to Ciaran you can play out in it once theres more snow soon there will be loads of snow and it will be here for at least 3 months he couldnt understand this lol!! They have never seen real snow

Iggette
November 9th, 2004, 06:41 AM
jackieb....your kids are going to love it, especially the snow days....where there is so much snow everything comes to a halt and school is called off. a Tobboggan is a kids best friend in those times :crazy: :thumbs up

jackieb
November 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
tobbogan were is the best place to pick one up at a reasonable price?
Someone suggested that i get a tobbogan as i have to push the baby in the buggy but i coulnt pull them all in it id brake my back lol!! Even the baby weighs alot lol

lexah
November 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Whoops, i didn't even SEE this post until I posted my new thread... sorry :(

Iggette
November 10th, 2004, 05:31 AM
No worries lexah, I can tell by your post that you were excited and its all good with me snow is great when you want it, ei. skiing,snowboarding,skiidooing etc... but when you just want to get to work it can be a real drag...you get the drift........lol (no pun intended) hahaha